400 carbed 5-speed | FerrariChat

400 carbed 5-speed

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by steved033, Dec 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    This is chassis 26267. 5-speed carb'd car. Rear AC controls.

Word of mouth history is that it it was garage kept by the same owner all through the 80's and left to a relation who is now selling...but that's all second hand.

My buddy gave up getting jacked around by the sellers, it was on barnfinds.com on Queens, NY Craigslist. It's sitting outside.

https://barnfinds.com/gray-market-22-1979-ferrari-400gt/

[​IMG]

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding more info that 26267 is also listed on Craigslist:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/d/bayside-1979-ferrari-400gt/7246184620.html

Asking price is $59,500 USD

Cheers,

Sam

1979 Ferrari 400GT (5 Speed)
    Color: Red Exterior with Tan Interior with Brown Accents
    Mileage: 31965 miles (?)

Chassis: 26267
    Asking: $59.5K USD

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Interesting with red bumpers. Also supposedly only 4 or 5 of these in the US.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #4 raemin, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Note sure the car came with the latest Vitaloni, the box shaped tornado were used until 400i gen2, so these are the one I would expect on a carbed 400.

The shade of red is not homogeneous: the windscreen pillars are vivid whereas on the lower portion of the doorway (not sure that's the proper term) it seems to me there is a brown layer under the coat of red paint

New mirrors, painted bumpers, uncommon colour combo: it was probably treated with a new paint. Please note that my own car is not in its original livery, so I do not mind such a change, above all on a cheap 400i auto (mine). A 400 carb 5 speed, is a hard to find beast, I'd rather have matching colours on such a valuable car.

steved033 likes this.
  5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I agree with raemin - given its brown inserts and carpets, I would guess it was Marrone (bronze) originally.

I had no record of it after 1980, when it was owned by a Jay M. Foreman JR, of Los Angeles, so I can believe it hasn't been on the market for many years.

6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    IMO, that car wasn't red, likely gold or marrone. in the upper left of the passenger side interior pic, you can see the rubber molding has pulled away, with a lighter color underneath.

The tail panel should also be black around the lights, no?

sjd

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

I just noticed that the air-boxes have had their "snouts" cut off. Most likely this was for US Federalization in order to provide access/space for an air injection pump/hardware. I say this, as one of my air boxes was similarly cut on my car... which is truly a shame, as cutting the snout was not really needed. Finding replacements and/or fabricating the snouts will not be easy.

Cheers,

Sam

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

4 or 5 manual 400i? Or manual red 400i?

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    400 with CARBURETORS and manual transmission are hard to come by.

Ak Jim likes this.
  10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    It was a tough search. I only found two others in europe.

sjd

11. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi,

The console looks like mine, a series 1 400i 1980. All switches look right. The middle lower switch may indicate that the car had a single black electric mirror on the driver side originally. Mine did.

The dash and console leather should probably be be black or brown in original form, hence probably repainted. Brown inserts in seats are like mine (albeit mine is Chiarro Blue on the outside with blu inserts in the seats). Many has been painted a solid color but I think this is the time correct design.

I agree that from the interior it looks like it originally had a different exterior color. Bumpers should definitely be black. Same with the rear facing panel were the tail lights are mounted. Good that they did not spray the front air outlet in the hood red.

Rear suspension look a little tired. These do not have the active levelling system of later cars.

If interested, I would definitely get it up on a lift to check the chassi, given some of the surface corrosion (at least looks like that from the pictures) in the engine bay.

//Rob

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Rob,

My apologies for the thread diversion... This is interesting you say that the 400GT's do not have the self leveling suspension system. I say this, as the 365 had it, although different than the system used in the 400i series. Interestingly, the 400GT parts manual show the same self contain leveling system (parts) as used in the 365. Can you post some pics of your rear suspension setup so we can see what they did?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

13. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    My brother's 400Gt has the same self leveling setup as my 400i gen1 (déc 1981), which is similar to my younger brother's 365, but different from my cousin's 412 :)

We used to have a 400i gen2, it was like the 412.

Never seen a 400 without self levellers, although it seems a few did not have neither the self contained leveler nor the hydrauilc one. But these are just as rare as the 412 with non metric rims.

14. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    My 1980 400i does't have self-levellers.

15. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    This is truly a 365/400/412 family! Just awesome! Any pics of them all together?

Ruben

16. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would advise any interested parties to go in eyes wide open in all respects.

steved033 likes this.
  17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin, and Aidan,

@raemin, If some cars did not have self levelers, what did they use? Did Ferrari install a second shock in the place of the leveler or did they simply leave it out?

@Aidan, on your car, what is installed in the leveler device location or is nothing installed?

Is it possible that someone removed the original setup/levelers on theses cars when the levelers failed and were NLA? I am curious, as I would think that the leveler would be somewhat important to raise the car's rear end when there would be extra weight in the backseats and/or he trunk. Do either of you have some pics, as it would be interesting to see what was or was not done.

Cheers,

Sam

18. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Mine doesn't have the self leveler either , 78 carb Auto.

Attached Files:

• fre.jpg
      fre.jpg
      File size:
      124.7 KB
      Views:
  19. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    We all know it does not have self levelers! Quoting what @dstacy 's had to say about it 7 years ago :

20. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #20 raemin, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Your left "shock", is not what you think. That's actually a load leveller that provides roughly the same leveling force as an additional 150lb spring. There is a nitrogen tank inside, that provides variable stiffness based on the amount of pumping that is applied to the unit (the more the car bounces, the stiffer the leveller becomes).

This type of "self contained" load levelers were already present in the 365 "queen mary". These were replaced by the Citroën patented system on the 400i gen2 (roughly the same system as used on several Mercedes, and Rolls Royce, that were a simplified version of what had been implemented in the Mercedes 600).

To be honest I like the original levelers better than the hydraulic ones, at high speed they provide better rebound (412 fixed this with the raised trunk). Only issue with these leveler is they are impossible to source.

Back to the subject: this 400 Carb 5 speed will require quite some cash to recover its former glory. Due to its rarity no doubt it will find a new home though...

Ak Jim, D.J and steved033 like this.
  21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day D.J.

Thanks for the picture! As Raemin stated, the left item is not a shock, but is the first generation load leveler as used on the 365 GT4 2+2 and according to the parts diagrams, also on the early 400 series. I was able to find a early Koni drawing that I suspect is close or is the design of these units.

Cheers,

Sam

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Rare car that has been neglected. Too bad. It'll cost a ton to get her looking and running as she should.

I'm editing this post by adding this to my original statement above. "A ton"? Yeah, well maybe not in comparison to the asking price/end value. If you drop $30k on this car you're still in for under a hundred and that is right where you should be.

Ak Jim and steved033 like this.
  23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    But what the heck else are you going to do with your extra cash; hookers and blow? This car would be a hell of a lot more fun.

steved033 likes this.
  24. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This is the truth! I sent mine off to be rebuilt and the rebuild lasted about a year. When they work they are fantastic. If I could find some place to buy new ones I'd do it in an instant, or even a rebuild that would last. Since I can't find new ones or know who can do a good rebuild job I got the aftermarket coil over to replace it. I t seems to work well but if you put a lot of weight in the trunk I'm sure the rear would sag a bit.

25. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello Sam,

Thanks for your post, it reminded me that a while back I saw a good document about it in the excellent page http://365gtc4.com/library/.

This type of unit was first mounted on the 365 GT 2+2 (1967) then on the 365 GTC4, then on the 365 GT4 2+2, 400, 400i series 1.

Attached Files:

raemin likes this.