812 GTS exhaust / “pin open” | FerrariChat

812 GTS exhaust / “pin open”

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by BMan14, Dec 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    In certain previous Ferrari’s the exhaust vacuum system could be pinned open with a golf tee, etc to get the best sound at all times. Is that possible with the 812 GTS? My car is preparing to get on a boat so I’m starting to look at possible little tweaks like wheels and exhaust. I don’t want to overdo it and cheapen the car so I prefer using what’s already there if possible.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    There may be aftermarket programmers that work, the previous unplugging the bypass valves no longer works, as the vehicle computer now monitors the valve operation, and eventually turns the check engine light on.

This goes for Portofino's, 488's, and newer models...

It was an easy mod, that a lot of clients liked, and 85% of new cars had it done before delivery.

S

3. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Thank you for the thorough and fast answer!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  5. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Thanks !

6. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Someone on f chat I can’t remember his user name pinned his valves and it worked. He made a YouTube video of a drive with the valves pinned open .

I have the capristo valve controller on my GTS. The remote stopped working for some reason so the car is in factory mode . There were no check engine lights using it when it did work. Im getting it fixed next week.

Originally when I asked about pinning the valves the tech told me that it might throw a check engine light due to how the newer Ferraris control them so I went with the controller since Karl here on f chat said his worked . It seemed weird to me that the controller was fine but pinning might not be.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    My 812 GTS valves have been pinned by my dealer. I will let you know when I pick it up in a week.

NZCREW likes this.
  8. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Great. I emailed the service department at my dealer to see what could be done as well.

9. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

I've never pinned valves on my cars so I can't comment on that, but I did fit a Capristo valve controller paired with Novitec rear boxes to my 812 SF. I sold that car and moved the kit over to the 812 GTS. It fit perfectly and works fine. No CEL or other issues. Let me know if any questions on this set up.

As an aside, I probably wouldn't bother fitting the Novitec rear boxes to the GTS (unless you already own them and don't need to buy). I didn't really notice the difference for the GTS. I'm not talking about the valve controller (or pinning valves), which is a good idea I think, I just meant the after market rear boxes on their own don't add much.

italiafan and junc like this.
  10. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Just heard back from the service department and they said they have pinned several GTS exhausts open and it’s wonderful. They will be doing mine as well.

F2003-GA, italiafan and junc like this.
  11. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    does pinning the exhaust affect performance at all?

12. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    No...in fact you are basically getting the exhaust to be "open" the way it is in race mode with a lot of throttle.

italiafan likes this.
  13. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I think the whole concept of having to use valved exhausts is only to meet noise regulations (ie. quiet around town, louder permitted at high revs in countryside). From a performance standpoint, no valves (or always open) is best. For example, race cars don’t have valved exhausts.

Can anyone more technical than me confirm my understanding?

italiafan likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe pinning the exhaust screws with back pressure and you may lose some power down low.

15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    It is me :)
    Pin it and it is wonderful. No CEL.
    If in the future, there is CEL just ubpin it and settle for while and pin again.
    Easy job once car is on lift.

junc likes this.
  16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I’ve heard this before but never really understood it. Why would creating a restriction / back pressure (via closed valves) at low revs cause an increase in power?

If that were the case, would race cars not have valved exhausts...?

thanks

Lagunae92 likes this.
  17. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Low down torque matters on the street. Race cars don’t care low down rpm.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I believe in various dyno tests for different vehicles, the valves pinned open actually increased HP. Not surprising as NA motors usually perform best when being able to breathe as free as possible.

On another note, I would suggest getting a remote over pinning valves. Long trips on the highway can get tiring listening to droning, much more pleasant with valves closed.

KarlA69 and RamsHmb like this.
  19. BATM4N

BATM4N Rookie

Oct 12, 2013
    Had valves on open from day 1. Done over 1000 miles no CEL

20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    If you can pin them, great. I have the Capristo remote on my regular SF, and I'm not sure I'd spend the money again. Not much difference, but off throttle at low speeds is great with the gurgles. That being said, my remote stopped working after 5 months, and it turns out it was a bad battery. Dealer diagnosed and fixed it very fast. Strange, because it was only used once a week.

Planning to do an X pipe and maybe Novitec back boxes. That should be nice.

21. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Il have to check my remote battery . It stopped working after a week. Very strange.

22. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    How much louder is it? I like the idea but I don’t want to make a lot of noise rolling through town. Can you modulate with light acceleration?

23. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    It’s basically the same with a little more on the lower end of the tach.

24. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    FYI my GTS with 200 cell sports cats. Videos don't do it justice, but it sounds epic in person

Attached Files:

Wheels1 likes this.
  25. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    My understanding of the theory is that the intake and exhaust valves have some overlap in their open periods, and the incoming air actually helps force exhaust gasses out. At lower revs, where both sets of valves are open at the same time for longer than they are at high revs, lack of back pressure can let too much "good air" escape before the exhaust valves close, which reduces power. At higher revs it's not an issue because the things are happening faster so there's less time for good air to escape. And since race cars spend most of their time at higher revs, the balance tips in favor of less restriction (less drag on the engine).

Netpark and Scudmsl like this.