It's been a while since a tire thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

It's been a while since a tire thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by Steelton Keith, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I'm just looking at www.TireRack.com for the 16" staggered combination (205/55-16 Front, 225/50-16 Rear), and they show they have stock for the following tires as of today:

Max Performance Summer category:
    Continental ExtremeContact Sport (my recommended choice for a max performance summer tire)
    Pirelli P Zero Rosso (Collezione)

Ultra High Performance All-Season category:
    Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (best choice for one level down from max performance summer)
    BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus
    Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
    General G-Max AS-05
    (Riken, Cooper - in stock, but I would avoid)
    Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+
    Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2
    Kumho Exsta PA51

Extreme Performance Summer category:
    Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
    Nexen N Fera Sur4G
    Toyo Proxes R1R
    Yokohama Advan A052

Ultra High Performance Summer category:
    Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
    General G-Max RS
    Kumho Exsta PS31
    Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2

If Tire Rack's "in stock" reporting is accurate, then there would seem to be plenty of good choices available at the moment.

Cheers,
    Gordon

2dinos likes this.
  2. Gino328

Gino328 Rookie

Jun 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Watson
    I have an ‘87 328GTS and I put a set of four Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires on about a month ago. I’ve put about 500 miles on them and they’re great.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Some critical input (imho) Big fan of Conti now. They worked soo well on the 308, I put them on an AMG, and again on another 308. The grip and feel and confidence they inspire is A+. Now the downside. When the cars sit for even a month, they flat spot and it takes about 20,30 ++ miles of driving them to make them perfectly round again. I've got some new Mich Pilot Sport 2 on another AMG, and these roll perfectly even after a couple of months of inactivity. The handling and grip on these is also fantastic. I'd still get the Conti w/o hesitation, but the problem with sitting especially on the Ferrari is a little annoying.

Just a thought~~~~ Should the tire pressure be bumped up if the car is going to be parked for a while? Like more than 2 weeks. Than set pressure before taking her out. Hmmmmm.

How we love them so!

4. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I put the Firehawk Indy 500's on mine and couldn't be happier just like Craig. Took me a little to get used to the thought but they are great tires and the car has never felt more planted.

5. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thanks Gordon. At the time, my guys did check Tire Rack for inventory. Having the Continentals put on Tuesday

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Bought a set of the Toyo Proxes R1R for our FCA track even back in November.

They were the best track day tire I have ever used in 25 years for the price. In fact I have been so pleased and impressed by them, I just left them on the car after the event.

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I used Tire rack and when they said N/A I called around and everyone said the same thing so I'm assuming they're pretty accurate in that regard. When I ordered my tires from them they were delivered in about 12 hours.

8. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    i run Toyo proxes on mine for the last few years, great tyre

9. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Toyo Proxes... what? “Proxes “ is a general name for their performance lines, but there are a dozen or two different models named Proxes (something) with wildly varying capabilities and characteristics.