458 Italia driver's side mirror vibration | FerrariChat

458 Italia driver's side mirror vibration

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RayJohns, Dec 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I noticed my driver's side mirror (I'm talking about the image I see when looking at traffic behind me, while on the freeway) seems shaky. The passenger side mirror image is rock solid, although I'm looking at it from across the car. Not sure if this is typical or if my mirror isn't as rock solid on the driver's side as it should be. I generally only notice it while on the free way, going 60 or 70 MPH+

Do other owners have this same issue? I've checked the mounting points of the mirror and the lens, etc. Everything is tight and secure, yet the imagine in the mirror or image doesn't appear as stable as I would have thought. It's about as shaky as on my motorcycle actually.

Is this normal or is there perhaps something internal to the mirror which is looser than it should be?

I have electric mirrors, by the way.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Ray

2. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I had put up a post similar to yours a few weeks ago and it seems to be a it's with every 458 some more than others - I experienced this in my 2010 Italia and now my Spider. Can't seem to make it go away.

No luck getting a fix for this. Dealer states it's just the way it is.

If you find something out for a fix please enlighten all of us here. It's really annoying seeing the shake.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Ok great, thanks! At least it's nice to know I'm not alone :)

I looked in the work shop manual and I see how to remove the glass lens. However, it looks like it's about as graceful as snapping a small birds leg off, so I am not sure I want to risk shattering the glass lens - especially being that it includes a heating element and auto dimming feature.

If I come up with anything tricky to dampen the vibration, I'll follow up.

Thank you again.

Ray

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Mirror glass is extremely expensive ... be very careful !

Imo: ask your F dealer ...

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yes, those were my thoughts as well :)

Ray

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks! I searched previously but didn't get a hit.

I'm basically in the same boat there.. I could fix it myself, but a bit nervous about prying off the glass. The workshop manual has some vague Italian sort of deal about "pull this way, pull that way, then she pops off".

I'd hate to know what the glass costs from Ferrari if you pull wrong...

Ray

7. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
    My L/H door mirror was wobbling like anything when driving the car, it made visibility in the mirror almost impossible at speed.

The glass does indeed just pull off from the mount, there are the heating wires attached which pull off, and the connector for the chromatic element if your car has that. There are no special tricks to getting the glass off the mount. You just have to go for it.

I found that the black plastic mount which is secured to the back of the glass using double-sided adhesive tape had come away almost entirely (picture below). What was left of the adhesive tape had become contaminated and dirty and had lost its stickiness.

I applied some new double-sided tape between the black plastic and the glass and now the wobble has gone away!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hope this helps someone in the future.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    This is an issue with all 458s, 488s and slightly better in the F8. Pista has the same issue as well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    There is a post by me on basically a mirror overhaul. The search function should find it.

If your mirror came off that easy I suspect you have some broken tabs. I would hate for your mirror glass to fall out. You may want to look at my thread as it has lots of pictures that may be of interest. I also used silicone in lieu of tape.

10. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Exactly this... I fixed mine in a matter of 10 minutes, the glass comes out quite easily, you really don’t need to send it in the the dealer for this simple repair! Just be aware that there are wires attached to the glass so don’t ‘over pull’ it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #12 metaldriver, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020

Ray / Neil / Craig - how did you grasp the glass? I cannot fit my fingertips between the mirror and the housing. Did you make or buy a small L-shaped device to reach behind the glass or did you adjust the mirror far left / right to create more of a gap between the glass and the housing? I can rebuild engines and transmissions, but something this simple humbles me. :(

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I can rebuild gearboxes also, but I aborted mission on removing that lens.

Ray

13. neilbaker86

neilbaker86 Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Neil Baker
    I just put my fingers down the side of it. You can adjust the position to an extreme angle which should help a bit more with clearance.

All the plastic tabs were in place on mine. It was just the glass coming away from the plastic backing plate. You can see the 8 securing clips circled in green below. The other bits are just alignment pins.

Try to get your fingers onto the black plastic part which should be stuck to the back of the glass as you pull it off if you can, else it could come away from the glass entirely which could make re-alignment more difficult. Although you may be able to see where it was stuck originally from the marks left on the adhesive.

Also, as mentioned by Craig, take care of the wires when pulling it off. Make sure you hold the metal contact firmly onto the glass when you disconnect the spade terminal too, as if you rip that off you'll probably need a new piece of glass.

Happy New Year!

14. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My 15 has the same problem,the same BS from the Dealer,but he described a plastic gear a a prob. as the reason. Didn't get it fixed but noted a fractured brown tab on the garage floor after coming back from the Dealer. Where can I buy a new set of tabs? When I get the tabs I plan on taking my car to a friend who does restorations, Ferrari body work for local Dealer and have him repair the vibration.

15. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    I just used my fingertips to pull mine off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk