Looking for aftermarket muffler for 308 | FerrariChat

Looking for aftermarket muffler for 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by cantthinkofone, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael Orifici
    Looking for an aftermarket muffler for a 308 gtbi. Would like a catless muffler if possible. Juat seeing if anyone has a used one or knows of one before i buy new. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Michael, Where are you? I have a spare Borla stainless exhaust but am in the UK and I suspect the mention of a cat means you are in N. America?

miketuason likes this.
  3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Specify if you need US version or Euro.

4. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael Orifici
    The car is a 1980 gtbi inported to US from Canada. Not sure if that matters. It has 2 cats on it, but would like to remove them. My understanding (which is limited) is that the euro exhaust would go on by removing the cats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. jdjagguy

jdjagguy Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2007
    Enid Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Richard Crump
  6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Derek, do you have a photo of your Borla exhaust? A friend gave me an exhaust, he said it’s Borla but I don’t have anything to verify them as it doesn’t have any name or marking anywhere. Thanks.

7. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael Orifici
    Steve Magnusson likes this.
  8. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    Did most of the gray market cars run cats without mufflers? Or was that a California thing? My 84 was a CA car when I bought it in 1999. And I’ve seen it on another CA car. The pic below is what came on mine. It was one of the best sounding 308’s I’ve heard. Strong note and lots of crackle when I would lift.

I’m thinking about using Borla or Magnaflow in place of the cats when I put it back together in the next month or two, but welcome advice. I love an aggressive sound, but plan on longer drives than I have made in the past. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    FYI, the exhaust tip placement on a Euro can be slightly out of line with the placement of a US system, so if you plan to keep your louvered heat diffuser, you may need to tweak it a little. I put a vintage period Euro Ansa on my US '79 car, and we very slightly expanded the oval openings in the diffuser. Euro cars didn't have that "diaper."

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on PD Gough site in Nottingham in the UK, they have a set of pictures of different systems, with present ex rate u might get great deal. They did an exh box for my 3.2 mondial, great tone

11. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    I'm no expert, I but can't imagine a car running only cats with no muffler, they do two very different jobs. Having said that, from the pictures in the post earlier it looks like two cats in that system. But its not original and the amount of adapting on the pipe size is evident (talk about rough!). I'm running a US QV with a stainless magnaflow muffler and tail pipes and no cat. It's great, awesome sound, but on long drives it can get a bit tedious, I'm actually thinking of putting an aftermarket cat on to take the edge off and clean up the exhaust smells a little (KJet is not the the most precise system!). Hope that helps. BB

48969 likes this.
  12. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    Thanks. My guess is when the car was federalized they swapped the muffler for cats to pass smog, which it did in CA. I’m sure every shop that worked on gray market cars was a little different. You can see where one cat was cut and re-welded to fit, but they are huge and look like they came off a truck.

It sounded great, but my mechanic is recommending mufflers to reduce the heat buildup in the engine compartment. We’ve already ceramic coated the headers and are wrapping the lines that run through the tunnel (after replacing them at 37 years old).

13. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    Which magnaflow are you using?

14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Look, the best muffler for the 3x8s is a TUBI , along with that, you should run a test pipe instead of the cat, they are very restrictive, and produce a lot of heat,
    when it comes time to smog, switch the two, then switch back, my Tubi has held up for 20 years and 82,000 miles. I was listening to the F40 with straight pipes, on a video, and I have to say, with the the F40s window up, It sounded almost identical to my 89 328 . The Tubi, makes a sound that is perfect for the period of these cars.

Thank you ,

15. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    I think it was this one .... they only have a couple with the unusual single inlet/dual outlet config!
    A lot is made out of some of these 'Ferrari Specific' exhausts, but I find them over priced for what they deliver. I've heard lots of 308s, and they mostly sound the same regardless of exhaust .... just some are louder!
    BB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

48969 likes this.
  16. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    I finally have the engine back in. I used Flowmaster 12” Super HP 2’s with Hedman tips. The headers were ceramic coated. So far I’m happy with the sound, but I haven’t had it on the road yet. That will be another post. Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Post a sound video.

18. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    George Vosburgh likes this.