third brake light replacement and engine bay LED lights | FerrariChat

third brake light replacement and engine bay LED lights

Discussion in '360/430' started by gaxford, Jul 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gaxford

gaxford Rookie

May 31, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Gordon Axford
  2. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
  3. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    I run his bulb inserts in my 4 tail lights plus the center brake light. I just bought the version that functions identical to OEM (no extra lights lit or flashing). The light output is much better and gives me more confidence that my lights will be visible during braking in bright sunlight.

If your car is an F1, it also eliminates the chance that you will become stranded due to a malfunctioning tail light that prevents the F1 gearbox from selecting a gear.

4. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I have Stef's light kits and am extremely happy. LED bulbs prevent the typical brake lens cracking due to heat. You will need the matching flasher for LEDs to prevent hyper flashing. I want to do the engine bay light kit but business has kept me too busy.

5. ferrarigts

ferrarigts Rookie

Apr 28, 2015
    Illinois
    Excuse me, but did I read this correctly? One will be stranded should a tail light go out? Please refer me to that information in the owners manual. Thanks.

6. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    if you have F1 transmission the system looks to the brake light status to become aware of your braking effort.

7. The B

The B Karting

May 30, 2016
    West side of sandbar
    I bought the full kit from Skud Ing, installers commented that they were quality parts with good instructions and I think they look great.

8. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    If you just do the 3rd brake light upgrade , the other lights will look horrible . I would recommend saving up for the complete kit or not doing it at all . I have the complete upgrade , which includes the front flasher as well , and it looks amazing !

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #9 hessank, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    I just kissed my stick.

10. gaxford

gaxford Rookie

May 31, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Gordon Axford
    Thanks for everyone's input.. I think I am going to stick with the OEM third brake light for now (as per Bad430benz opinion), but will order the LED engine bay light kit.
    Will let you all know how it turns out.

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I won't swear to it being the light itself, or the brake pedal position switch, but yes. Your owners manual tells you you cannot go from stopped to reverse or to 1st without your foot firmly on the brake. If the TCU cannot see that your foot is firmly there, you cannot go from neutral to rolling.

Upside is that the brake pedal sensor switch is a cheap and easy fix when you need to do it.

12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Take it to the BRL, Fred. No one needed to hear that.

:)

13. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    It could be both the brake switch or the most likely the brake lights. Ask me how I know! Stef sells a plugin module that fixes that issue. I purchased Stef's complete light kit and I could not be happier. Great product, quality support and Stef and his company are a quality act. My 360 is now LED's all around.

14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I have the Full scuding tail light pack installed, former owner (whattheheck) installed it along with engine bay lightning I remember he wrote a thread about it along with links for videos
    Do a search with his name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ferrarigts

ferrarigts Rookie

Apr 28, 2015
    Illinois
    Owners manual suggests seeking Ferrari assistance for "third" light replacement. I am considering the LED rear upgrade but wonder just how difficult third light is to replace. The other rear lights conversion looks to be relatively straightforward. Those of us considering the LED conversion would appreciate any and all pointers from successful installers. Thanks.

16. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Just did my engine bay with LED lighting, I used this below

Car Motorcycle Multi Color RGB LED Controller Remote Lighting Light Strip Kit | eBay

Easy hook up, I used LED of my choice, I put 2 very bright round LED (white) over top of both Ferrari engine logo, looks like it's stock. easy to hide all the wires, I also added red 2 LED light strip in back where exhaust is, reflects off of exhaust and at night time looks like a red hot engine looming through the vents, looks mean.

Sorry no pics, to lazy ha ha ha ;)

17. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I did it and the results are AMAZING. No dot light matrix for the third brake light. It is a solid bar and looks better aesthetic wise. Also, all LED's are bright as Hell!!! Big difference when you want to be noticed and properly illuminated at night preventing someone from not being able to see you and rear ending your ride. Also, the load on your battery goes away because your running lights are LED and there is no amp draw on your battery.

18. Hemming

Hemming Rookie

Dec 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    peter hemming
    Hi guys
    I have a 360 manual spider and have bought a boot lid tail light replacement but I didn't realising how difficult it would be to replace.
    does anyone have a step by step video or graph that shows me how to replace it. I can't seem to find anything online.

cheers

19. BobBB

BobBB Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Berger
    I purchased a complete kit from Skuding Swiss. Very straightforward install for front and 4 rear lights. Also replaced 3rd brake light bar. This one was a little tricky. Bar is surrounded with a heat shield. Almost impossible to reuse on replacement LED unit. New unit does not generate as much heat, so I wrapped it with exhaust wrap. Worked out well and the lighting is fantastic! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

NMNMNMN likes this.
  20. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014
    I fitted the Scud Ing third brake light unit and it’s extremely easy to fit. The only issue I had was that the leads had to be swapped over because the LED’s are polarity sensitive.

21. Hemming

Hemming Rookie

Dec 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    peter hemming
    I noticed that there are rivets, do these need to be drilled out and are they simply replaced?
    also do you disconnect the battery when you change the light over.
    I also bought a genuine replacement light which doesn't come with wires only a plug port.

im assuming the existing light connector should;d plug straight in

22. kaj750

kaj750 Karting

May 9, 2022
    Fresno, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Another old thread revival.

My third brake light has a couple of bulbs out. Any recommendation on a non-ricy LED replacement? I just want regular lights.

23. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Jadon. I have one from my car when I replaced all the lights to LED. I’m out of town till next Monday. Let me know if you are interested.

24. kaj750

kaj750 Karting

May 9, 2022
    Fresno, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If Jadon isn't interested, I am!
    If I haven't found one by then.