Steering clam shell rattle fix? | FerrariChat

Steering clam shell rattle fix?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Really get annoyed by interior rattles and squeaks. At certain speeds, I get a rattle out of steering column plastic clamshell. What would be the best fix? I could apply some silicone to the seam, solve the problem, and make a mess....LOL. But there has got to be a cleaner, better way?

Perhaps some sort of gummy tape on the inside? Ideas? Certain there is a simple product just for this....???

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'd open it up and make sure any wires or connectors inside aren't bouncing/rubbing/chafing, and no screw bosses are broken.

sjd

QSA likes this.
  3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Is it missing a screw? There are many that hold it in place. Look up under there with a flashlight and make sure all the crews are in and tight. They get loose and fall out

4. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I put a strip of self adhesive foam around the seam on mine, worked a treat. Its that stuff you'd use to seal a door from drafts.
    Its a bit fiddly but the result is worth it.
    This is on a 348.....

Qavion likes this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There are two or three plastic screws that hold the upper piece to the lower piece, and then there are two or three metal screws that hold the bottom piece to the steering column. At least one or two are missing on yours.

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  6. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Julia, 308 GTB and Qavion like this.