308 Head Gasket Choices | FerrariChat

308 Head Gasket Choices

Discussion in '308/328' started by waymar, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    1982 308GTSi ....... Looking at the available head gasket selections out there. I have had good results with Elring. They are getting pricey, found other prices/makes. What is the feedback on head gaskets?

Price each (2) required, price in USD
    Elring $550
    All Ferrari Parts $310
    Algar Ferrari $311
    SF after market Italian $165
    Cometic $150
    GTCP Sangalli Guarnizioni (Awaiting price quote)

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    From using search on this site. Any multi layer are out. Cometic are ML so there out. I will ask if the SF Italian are ML or like Elring.

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Did mine a year ago and used Elring. Don't know anything about the others. There was a thread that discussed bootleg Elring gaskets, you need to carefully examine the holographic logo to ensure it's genuine. Sad, but that's the way of things these days.

waymar likes this.
  4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Elring! You forget about the high price 5 minutes after your engine is assembled and running.

Best, Peter

waymar likes this.
  5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    There are also head gaskets from Murray in Oz: [email protected] price is $175 each.

I may be having a short run done here in the UK. No solid fire ring as the originals and Elring use but my UK manufacturer says they are not needed for non-turbo applications (and the Italian and Murray's gaskets don't have them.) Mine will have the silicone printed around all the water passages and will be about £120 each

Du_Man likes this.
  6. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My setup (turbo) requires solid copper gaskets. So that is also an option for some.
    I have never had any issues using them.

7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Any comments on Elring vs Victor Reinz? DinoParts uses VR head gaskets. Curious as DInoParts has great pricing on all other gaskets and rod/main bearings.

8. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Just did one head a couple of months ago. Used SF Italian with copper coat sealer. Looked identical to original. I'm not worried about compression leaks with stock compression on 2V with protruding sleeves but was worried about water leaks (based on multiple searches) and I didn't have the head or block surfaces machined to insure no warpage. I've used the ML type on a variety of Chevy and Chrysler drag race engines with great success but they didn't have cyl sleeves protruding above the block like the 308. A couple of the threads warned against the ML gaskets due to water leakage between the head and deck. (not into cyl).

Barry

waymar likes this.
  9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Boy where to start....
    Elring no longer mfg the gasket with the proper 3d profile... So it's a toss up for it actually sealing.

We've been working with cometic on the gaskets for stock engines, the big bore stuff does not have protruding liners so gasket choices are vastly different. Cometic should now have a gasket for the stock configuration with the proper embossment. They are not multiuse though, so keep that in mind, though mls they are one and done.

Head gaskets are a real PITA to get right for these engines. Really wish elring hadn't changed things...

There's also a little trick that many builders use for boosted engines that helps with sealing... Aviation sealant on both head and block... Thin layer... Seals like a frogs bum. The bigger issue with these engines isn't compression gasses... It's the dang coolant seaping everywhere due to the goofy design of the block.

Peter, derekw and waymar like this.
  10. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon all,
    Try Superformance UK, that's where I got mine, so far so good:)
    The gasket thread was mine, if you have any questions, just let me know and I'll share my experience.

John.

11. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Hi John - Can you post a link to your thread for all?

12. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon Wayne,
    After going through many posts, can't find mine:(
    I'll keep on looking

John

13. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Ask Martin(German dud), he helped me out on that subject.

John

14. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon

Here it is - John started this thread in May 2019, a great discussion thread about head gaskets with input from Elring technicians: Correct 328 head torque. It's on page 4 that the Elring technician joins in; a long thread, but very worthwhile reading.

Cheers,
    Gordon

derekw likes this.
  15. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks Gordon!!!
    Since I got my engine back together and running(big difference on running and start-ups), don't hesitate on asking my opinion or what ever knowledge I may have.

John.

16. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Murray is the real deal. Totaly trustworthy and knowlageable. Especially for the price

17. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Thank you everyone for all the great input and information. I went with Ferr Parts Exchange - elring on sale $215 for 832.316 (108384/168946)

Peter likes this.
  18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's pretty good I paid $337 a couple of years ago.

waymar likes this.
  19. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    just saw this post and chuckled....that is what I done too. Aviation sealant around the studs, water, oil ports. Its good for about 20 years before it dries out (its solvent based)

On the V12 where everything is welds I also put it under the cylinder liner o-rings cause I don't completely trust my weld but never did that on the QV.

The 12 gets cometic composite gaskets, $100 each and they seem fine for the little actual run I have.

smg2 likes this.
  20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well if we're gonna give up all the old aviation secrets another one is EZ Turn. Use it on all fuel fittings and gaskets.

smg2 likes this.
  21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I did not know about that one, I've been foolishly using regular old never-seize

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Peter likes this.