Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap) | FerrariChat

Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap)

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Hopefully not a repost.

So, this looks to be a lovely, clean example of a B in a great colour ...

unfortunately it looks like it’s about to be trashed ...

I’m guessing/betting on an LS3 swap, but let’s hope I’m wrong and something from Ferrari is going back in there (but I’m extremely doubtful)

Oh yeh, and for additional offence, the presenter is pretty irritating to watch/listen to.

I’d say enjoy, but I suspect most won’t :

2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    yes its a pity he is not starting with a worse example if he is going to do a transplant. My guess is SBC or a Japanese turbocharged V6.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Great tutorial on how to destroy the value of a well-maintained documented low-mileage gaillo GTB. It’s evident from multiple comments he knows nothing about a 308. Hurts to watch the molestation but whatever to each his own.

Rosey and Albert-LP like this.
  4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was actually following him on YouTube, and I found out that his shop is do n here in SoCal and thinking about stopping by

BJK likes this.
  5. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    I’ve got a good 328 engine and trans I’ve been holding for such a project. He should buy mine, bore it to 3.5 and update the suspension. Then he’d have quite a car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Albert-LP and BJK like this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

are you looking to sell the motor and gearbox, ?

Thank you,

7. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Yes he would. Put a 360 crank in at the same time and make it 3.6L. The 4 valve head breathes much better than the 2V heads on my 3.6L upgrade, and my car is no longer a slouch, but it does run out of steam somewhat over 7500 RPM due to head restrictions. I bet the 4 valve head makes power to 8200-8500 RPM

And he wouldn't ruin the car.

Doug

48969 likes this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's an 80s injected car?

From the pictures, it looks like a carbed '79??
    A shame they are using a "B" IMO .....

What the "modern view" guys fail to realize is the balance and driving experience of these cars.
    By that view the Dino 206/246 series is all crap and should be crushed.....

No, wait, they are worth $250K and up..
    So we all thought the 308/328 would someday "get there" it appears now, for many reasons, they won't.

Jbrauer likes this.
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba

I will not be watching anymore than one, but share your view it's as if he discovered this 40 year old design yesterday!

Those really heavy rubber bumpers..they are steel beams beard man!!

10. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    All this guy has done is complain about the 308. I wonder why he even bothers. Buy something else. haha

11. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Imagine the dramatic improvements he could make to a stock 74 hp 356A Speedster! No more pokey acceleration!

FrannyB likes this.
  12. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Vandalism really.

Suspect this is about is nothing more than You Tube income

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Um... yeah, no... not even going to click on it, and increase his view counts.

Albert-LP, JLF, 19633500GT and 2 others like this.
  14. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    I’m curious how he believes he can improve on the styling of the 308. I’ve seen many attempts, but nothing seems to beat the factory....... Just my opinion

afterburner and greg328 like this.
  15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It will be interesting to see what he's going to put in there because given the uniquely singular transverse engine/gearbox/axle package it's gonna be tough to shoehorn something else in there in it's place without seriously hacking up the chassis and lengthening the wheelbase. He's a BMW guy so maybe something German. We'll see.

bertspeed likes this.
  16. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I watched the first couple of vids a few days ago. This is a nice car in good condition, rare colour combination, pretty low mileage and a strong service history. On a Dyno it appears to have still be making factory power so it was in good shape too.

With the age these cars are now to even find one in that condition is a rarity & therefore this project really is vandalism IMO.

He quite obviously knows nothing about these things & had done no research either apart from maybe having a poster on his wall. He didn't even know that the engine has to come out the top, which means the likelihood of him having any clue as to what could be done with the original motor unit if he wanted to improve it is somewhere between slim & none. Someone suggested it in one of the comments & he dismissed it as throwing good money after bad (or similar garbage).

Someone else suggested he should put a 360/430 motor in there which he said was "getting warmer" but I'd be surprised if he does that. I think a 355 motor has been shoehorned into a 308 & obviously there are a few V12s about but overall I wish he's have stuck to messing around with mass produced BMWs & similar.

The only upside is that there are now some good condition parts around (including the interior I suspect) if anyone wants them.

17. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    The options for easy, straightforward engine swaps are, as you've said, limited. The transverse engine installation and the resultant drop gears/transaxle arrangement make any like for like engine swap less than simple.

The 360/430 engines are tall, especially if their original inlet manifolds and plenums are utilised, and whilst the 360 engine may share the same (though probably now tenuous) basic block architecture as that found in 308, the 430 motor certainly doesn't.

An LS3 engine looks to make more sense, its all alloy construction is readily available both new as a crate motor, and also used. They're very simple technically, there are huge amounts of off the shelf tuning parts for them that enable huge horsepower figures to be extracted from the motors cheaply, and they've been fitted in numerous chassis configurations, which means they've been used in transverse front-wheel drive installations and thus there are transaxles and plentiful auxiliary drive belt options. The downside is they're not going to rev like the original 4 cam engines, well not unless you do something along the lines of a short stroke build ... :

https://bangshift.com/general-news/tech-stories/now-this-is-real-hybrid-technology-we-test-an-8000-rpm-339-cubic-inch-ls3-hybrid-and-its-awesome/

However 600 +hp in a 308 chassis would probably require some decent brakes, and suspension, but not before you'd addressed the small matter of finding/installing a transmission capable of withstanding those horsepower and torque figures !!

The only other modern NA V8 I'd consider would be the S65 unit from the E9X series M3. A 90 degree V8 with 8000+rpm capability and over 400hp NA horsepower in the 308 chassis would be hugely impressive, but I'd imagine the install of such an engine transversely would be "challenging" to say the least.

Like most on here, I fear the car chosen for this "racecar" build project is far too good to be ruined in this manner. It's real shame that a more tired (both from a mechanical and aesthetic (internally and externally) perspective, couldn't have been found.

Iain likes this.
  18. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    He should have just gone out and bought some plastic-pig kit car.

cheesypeas likes this.
  19. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Just watched this... that car is in great condition.

Can't imagine doing this to this car.

I guess the upside is like someone else posted there are going to be some really nice parts that can be purchased for folks that might need them.

bertspeed likes this.
  20. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    One less nice original example out there makes mine worth another dollar or two more....

Ak Jim likes this.
  21. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    A nice, clean giallo GTB under the axe of Mr. Beard. :( That's too bad - it's going to mess up a nice, classic machine. On a related topic, are lumberjack beards in an urban environment still a thing? If so, why??? https://mountainbeards.com/what-is-a-lumbersexual

2cam

GeorgeMD likes this.
  22. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    There should be laws against such a crime......:eek:

Best, Peter

23. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    His engine removal technique may have been gleamed from Birdman's <engine removal tutorial> (credit would have been nice!)

Du_Man likes this.
  24. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    And padding between the engine and the rear window and the rear of the roof would have been nice, too.

bertspeed likes this.
  25. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    So, looks like it's going to be a Turbo'ed Honda K24 motor ...

I kinda get the logic, it still grates though.

The Honda K24 motor is a 2.4 DOHC 16 valve litre item with VTEC and constantly variable inlet cam timing, it is both very reliable and very tuneable. Personally I wouldn't go the turbo route, as something like this :

https://4pistonracing.com/collections/complete-engines/products/4pr-k24-k400

is available off the shelf and would produce 400 reliable NA horsepower in a manner that would suit the 308 chassis better than a LS or monster turbo motor.

It'll need a set of headers and exhaust, an inlet manifold and cold air system (or better still a carbon plenum and runners ...) :

https://rzcrewgarage.com/collections/civic-type-r-euro-fn2r-2009-2012-na-k20a-i4/products/pracworks-carbon-intake-manifold-honda-civic-type-r-euro-fn2r-pcw-k20-fn2

Then a loom, a stand alone ECU and mapping ... It won't be cheap !!

What would the the likes of Newman, Carobu or Nick's Forza Ferrari etc, charge to build a 3.5, 3.6, 3.8 or 4.0 308 QV motor producing 350-400hp ?

48969 likes this.