Maranellos are disappearing | Page 74 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    It could be relevant if you had imported a yank tank from US, so LHD.

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not entirely... there must have been the odd car from Greenland that found its way back to the EU after they left?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

BarryK likes this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    They have cars in Greenland?:eek:

:D:D

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nice! Greenland is not a sovereign country, through not sure that affects the taxes on their Maranello exports.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Indeed; in some ways Greenland is even more of an anomaly as they're outside of the EU, but still part of a country that remains inside the EU!

A pal in the motor trade advised me tonight that under WTO rules, duty would not be payable on UK cars going back to the EU provided that the duty on them had been paid in the UK within the last 3 years. Interesting then (if accurate), but would back up the belief that LHD Maranello's in the UK are due to come down in value if a deal isn't done in the next day or so.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Looking like a deal may be imminent.

7. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    1999 550 in TdF over tan with 37k and colorful history sells for $97k on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-550-maranello-10/

The P0306 misfire code kept it from reaching $110k+, but that is a potentially expensive problem. The seller claimed it was due to failing cats, which if true makes it ideal for Fabio’s exhaust.

We’ve been back to back Maranellos on BAT for the past month and I am looking forward to seeing the next one come through.

8. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    Interesting that the reserve was this low following the surprisingly high results on the platform this year

9. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Although it was presented well and had been returned to a decent condition, this car had a very colorful history. Plenty of stories and issues.

m5shiv likes this.
  10. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The UK market has pretty much ground to a halt now. Winter in the UK is never a great time to sell a classic/supercar here anyhow, but the perfect storm of a global pandemic combined with Brexit has created a vacuum.

On the other hand with so much money being pumped into the economy there are certainly people that are comfortable and looking for something to do/buy to ease the lockdown boredom. My own business has increased in turnover 50% since May 20. So I'm one of the few that's actually in pretty good shape. What I don't know is if this is the new normal or if it's a blip that's going to come to grinding halt. To that end I'm hanging onto cash and waiting for a black swan event on the stock market so I can pile into some cheap blue chip stocks, If it ever happens. Still looking at Ferraris daily of course.

550 prices have certainly strengthened here. Asking prices that is, there's little real data on actual selling prices unless it's an auction. The gap between a good 550 and a tatty one seems to have widened. Tidy low mile examples are back into 6 figures and seem to be moving.

This was advertised for £120K, it's now sold and I can't image the final number being far from the asking price.

https://www.nickcartwright.com/car_sales/550-maranello/

However this has created an anomaly when compared with newer models.

This popped up for sale at my local dealer, 8 miles from where I live, it's the spiritual successor to Erik's 550:-

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11053481?cId=11053481&cId=10732699&cId=10982183&cId=10778384&cId=11120195&cId=10535419&cId=11075967&cId=10932957&cId=10835575&cId=10841765&cId=10945432&cId=10347074&cId=10840369&cId=9997352&cId=10533615&cId=11081305&cId=10813959&cId=10703014&cId=11051458&cId=11076825

I have no doubt there's a deal to be done on that. I love the spec, but I don't like carbon fibre, wing shields and trinkets, which most seem to think is a basic requirement. At 28K miles it's considered ridiculously high mileage!

FF's are now sub £100K and in some cases heading into the £80k's and even £70k's for leggy ones.

So for someone like me looking to get into my first Ferrari and in a position only to be able to afford/use/store one car there are some interesting options.

Of course, an analogue 550 and an F12 are poles apart, completely different cars. You could have both and not feel like you're doubling up. I have to admit that F12 is very appealing. For me the F12 is the last beautiful Ferrari. I've found little attractive about any subsequent models, was never a fan of the 599 or 612 either.

So a 550 or an F12. Two V12 Ferraris, so similar but so very different.

F456M likes this.
  11. MattH1973

MattH1973 Rookie

Jun 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matthew Hunt
    Hi to a fellow fan in the UK. F12 looks great, but for me my first Ferrari had to have that gated manual. There will always be modern cars to have...... get a manual while you can.....

Thomas S. likes this.
  12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Don’t say like that... My «need» for a F12 grows bigger and bigger. I knew from the first time I saw one that this is a car for me.. But to sell that beautiful Pozzi/Crema 550 is not only a hard decition, but most likely out of the question. If you ever find a really cheap LHD F12 in the UK let me know!! I could live with one..

Some time the old car passed the newer models... It seems like that is about to happen now in a short time with top condition 550s. I can’t see how they can go down in value. Look at 993 Turbos. They are more expencice and build in more units! And they don’t have twelve cylinders and a chrome horse on the bootlid... I am holding on to mine and keep it heathy! Thanks for sharing.

21ATS likes this.
  13. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    This ‘99 article from Car Magazine supports your thesis - 550 wins handsdown but 22 years later each of the rivals is significantly more valuable...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  14. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I find the F12 very appealing. It really is something special and when you talk to people who've owned this car or still own it, many will never part with theirs as it's so "special". Even compared to some very exotic machinery indeed. Funny you hear people talk about the 550 in the same way.

My fear of an F12 is truly massive repair bills and electronics that will eventually stop being supported as seems to be the way with all of Ferrari's back catalogue.

Still as these approach £100k they are becoming more and more tempting.

And here lies the problem, Like you I would also like an analogue manual V12, so the 550 ticks all the right boxes. In the long term if it does require repair it's mostly a mechanical product and worst case scenario is an old fashioned engineer wearing a brown coat, in shed (or more likely running a CNC machine or 3D printer these days) would likely to be able to solve most problems.

Very narrow pickings right now, many of those up for sale are tatty and overpriced for their condition. Tidy ones that are priced accordingly are selling quickly or before they even make it to market.

The mid engined cars do nothing for me at all (512TR excluded). So there's not a great deal left that has a gated shifter and a V12 that doesn't cost more than the average house.

Jürgen Geisler and F456M like this.
  15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    F12 or 550 for the same price

F12 for covering ground fast, maybe on a business trip, with tearing pace and efficiency and that engine that just gains revs from nothing. But unless you have a track or the Alps to hand, a bit sterile, too efficient well within its limits, a great car but lacking in joy. You could easily use it daily. They corrected that with the insanity of the 812 (and TdF).

550 for the satisfaction of driving a classic type Ferrari, though slower, less convenient. It’s still not exciting like some Ferraris, but deeply satisfying, and it’s a manual.

F456M likes this.
  16. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    So really what you're telling me Darius is I need both? :cool:

I think Erik has already succumbed to this reality.

F456M likes this.
  17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Well you did say your business was doing well...

although if you have a budget for both, I would be considering a 812 instead. But that has some depreciation to come, unlike a Maranello.

no easy decisions, but you will have to search hard to find someone who says they shouldn’t have bought their first Ferrari!

21ATS likes this.
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think we are touching the real truth here... If the F12 has the same engine block as the 599, why not try to convert a F12 to manual...? 1 of 1 :) The 599 was delivered from the factory, so it might be possible to do it. Of course the F12 is 10 times better than the 550. But as you point out, the cost of owning a F12 is going to be silly expencive.... Just the lack of the F1 gear system makes the 550 very reliable and that is a big factor for me. As a poor bloke, I must say it is a big plus. My GMC DURAMAX V8 diesel truck needed new injectors three times at the cost of about 9.000 dollar every time. I don’t have 9k just laying around. They are already used on gas and boats and all kinds of fun. The surprice of a large bill is not very pleasant... The Maranello is so much less expencive to own, that is it unreal. Because of this, I feel the 550 is also acceptable to own for a lot more people that might not considder a F12. It is also more beautiful too. (Very subjective here of course, but the car is less aggressive and has a better harmony of the proportions in my opininon).

Jürgen Geisler likes this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Christopher. Do you have the full article? Would be interesting to have a look at it. Thanks for sharing

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A deal is done indeed.
    There will be no custom duties (for used cars as for other things) but the issue might be with the VAT, the EU country of importation may ask for VAT on the full price, not considering at all a VAT already paid in the UK (so if this one could not be reclaimed it will be financially difficult - I think that's what is currently the case with Switzerland).

21. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    We have the same thought process Erik, the basic mechanical nature of a 550 is appealing from both a driving and ownership cost perspective. I'd be buying one to keep like yours.

An F12 would only ever be a short term prospect whilst it has some form of warranty. I still think they are very attractive though. If a little unhinged.

F456M likes this.
  22. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Did the 550 increase in price a bit. It seems so based on B&T and other listings. Our son wants to buy a fun car for twice a month driving and not lose a lot of money. He wants a new Mustang 350R. I suggested a 550 Maranello for the same price. I guess the 550 is no longer priced the same.

F456M likes this.
  23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    If you want to buy one right now it seems you need to pay a premium. I'm in the UK, but from what I'm reading on here the American market seems similar.

From what I can see there are fewer on the market, so supply drying up firms up the prices of what is available. Due to the reasonably strict nature of the current lockdown in the UK there's effectively no market at all right now so it's very difficult to gauge. We're only really going to know in hindsight.

My concern as a business owner is despite the fact we're doing very well at present and have been for the last 7 months or so, I'm not entirely sure it's going to last or how long it will last. I supply into the construction industry which is currently booming. My customers are certainly not short of work or cash (or credit lines). However how long will their customers be solvent? It's only a matter of time before the free flowing cash starts to dry up and the recession starts to filter through from the bottom up.

Add this to a reality in the UK that we could be in some form of lockdown on and off for another year (unless the vaccine really does work as hoped) and I'm wondering what I'd actually do with another car.

I own two cars, one daily driver and a second that I'm struggling to use more than twice a month (lack of destinations available) due to the current pandemic. So the idea of buying a third right now seems daft, no matter how much I'd like a 550.

If they were a bargain because people were needing to dispose of them as a distressed sale I'd be snapping one up and storing it. But the idea of paying a premium right now seems counter intuitive.

ralfabco likes this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would rather buy one of these not so hot Italian cars, but still with a potential in a long term perspective. Less cost and more potential upside in % of invested money. Let’s hope for the best.

21ATS likes this.
  25. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    M8

My wife and I just watched the Crown. She loves to follow the Windsor’s. No love for Camilla Shand Bowles :D.

21ATS likes this.