Happy New Year | FerrariChat

Happy New Year

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Shadow77, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadow77

Shadow77 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a while and shot a few photos while doing my only outing in the car last year. Unfortunately travel restrictions with COVID have been impossible. I have shared them on my private social media but thought some might enjoy them here.

Hope you enjoy these shots!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm particularly proud of the last shot. I did about 50 miles of B roads that day and she ran like a top.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Love this car. 1958 Le Mans winner, Works 250 Testa Rossa 0728TR. Happy New Year and thanks for posting.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #3 Marcel Massini, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    At LM 58 the car had additional fog lights in the grille opening, the massive central hood bulge was closed, not opened*, car had side windows and mud flaps at the rear wheel arches. In front of the driver was a second windscreen, there was no lid on the headrest for the gas filler cap, position lamps on the white roundel for the race number on the right rear are missing, the LM ACO scrutineering stamp on the left front fender ahead of the Scuderia Ferrari shield has disappeared.

(*this modification was done by Pierre Bardinon in 1985, against the suggestion of Jess G. Pourret)

Marcel Massini

Shadow77 and TTR like this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Wonderful shots.
    Are you saying that if it wasn’t for COVID, you’d use the car for travel more extensively ?
    If so, you’re my new hero. :cool:

Shadow77 likes this.
  5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Absolutely amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Shadow77 likes this.
  6. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    A Le Mans winner :eek: Now that's a way to start the year. Happy New Year!

Shadow77 and NYC Fred like this.
  7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    The hood opening was done after Le Mans. Pedro Rodriguez in #0728 at Nassau in December 1958 (© RacingSportsCars.com).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shadow77 and lgs like this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, sure. But I was talking about the restoration at Bardinon's place in 1985, when Pourret recommended to have it closed (as per LM 58) and Bardinon disagreed.
    At the time the car was in very poor shape.

Marcel Massini

Shadow77 likes this.
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #9 miurasv, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Just to clarify, 0728 was built as a Works pontoon bodied 250 Testa Rossa. Converted to envelope body style for Nurburgring 1958. The carburettor air opening was closed at the front but open at the back for Le Mans 1958, so not totally closed.

Shadow77 likes this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So is this car’s current build configuration & livery exactly as it was at the start of LeMans or something else ?
    Just (mildly) curious.

11. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Shadow77 and lgs like this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    See post #3.

Marcel Massini

TTR likes this.
  13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    0728 also had its carburettor air opening at the rear at the Nurburgring, 1958. Ferrari experimented with front and rear air openings due to the problem of getting differing amounts of air pressure between the front and rear carburettors which prevented the engine running cleanly.

Shadow77 likes this.
  14. Shadow77

Shadow77 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    The history of this car is incredibly significant, but it is still a car and if it doesn't get used on the road and track, then its not a very good car. Thats our feeling. We use it for Sunday drives, rallies, and the occasional track day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The first picture hangs on my office wall. All shot on the TR rally a few years back from Salt Lake City to Aspen. I think we had 15 TRs and a few Cal Spiders as back up. The third picture is my first magazine cover. It was used for the cover of the last issue of Enzo magazine.

Italia00, Wi11am, Nembo1777 and 7 others like this.
  15. Shadow77

Shadow77 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    These last shots that I'll share were shot by a friend when we took Castle Combe for a day. Pushed the limits with a few cars. Ran this, a Jaguar D-type, and a DB3S Aston Martin and it was clear that over the course of 24 hours the Ferrari was the most drivable package. The D-Type is faster, but permanently on a knife edge at speed. The DB3S didn't have the power and had to be driven through corners at 10/10ths to make the pace. The TR just has such a good chassis and all the linear power to correct for mistakes. Very drivable. Our car is still in its centre throttle configuration as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AtSomePoint, Wi11am, amenasce and 7 others like this.
  16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    colombo2cam and 375+ like this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #17 Marcel Massini, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    0728 TR a little earlier.
    From the legendary Fuller Brush Magazine.
    Assistenza Clienti director engineer Gaetano Florini and Phil Hill.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #18 miurasv, Jan 4, 2021
    With perspex carburettor cover and different nose vent arrangement.

Full Phil Hill Fuller brush article by Denise McCluggage in link here posted by El Wayne.

mcimino, 375+ and Marcel Massini like this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sure makes you want to get some good house cleaning products. :D

mcimino likes this.
  20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #20 miurasv, Jan 4, 2021
    I believe pics 1, 3 and 11 could be 0726TR, the first of the Works '58 250TRs converted from pontoon to envelope bodywork, which, like this car, did not have external door hinges and became the prototype for the TR59, which this car has features of.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Pic #2 is absolutely perfect!

22. Shadow77

Shadow77 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    I didn't realize that I had a 3 spoke steering wheel at any point in its life.

23. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Different tail lamps at that time as well

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Fully agree on TR and D Type albeit with far less experience than you.

I drove pontoon fendered TR 0748 260kms one afternoon in southern California during a 1990's road rally for a Cavallino article (issue 113 October November 1999 thank you Symbolic, Bill Noon and then owner CC) and loved every minute, was fantasizing about eloping over the Mexican border with it:) It was a *****cat to drive the understeer was fun to play with though out of respect I did not explore the oversteer. Whether on mountain roads or city traffic I loved it. In towns I would coast a lot to keep it cool so when I rolled next to someone at a traffic light and then turned on the engine when the light went green they jumped in their seats :)! Following Bill in his TRC at a high rate of knots in a canyon on the way to the Torrey Pines hill climb early one morning that same week the two V12 sounds merged into one sound, fabulous, I had heard that while in the draft of another car in single seater racing but this sounded sooo much better! Then I delivered it to the person who was to drive it that day, a certain Phil Hill, surreal moment! He just drove it mellow with his wife.

In contrast at 500 Ferraris against cancer in 2019 I had a ride as a passenger in a D Type brought by Jaguar Heritage and found it quite unpleasant, cramped, did not like the engine and how the driver interacted with it. That experience gave me zero desire to drive one.

25. Shadow77

Shadow77 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    The D-Type is not a car that you passenger in. It was never designed for that, it is an incredible car and one that you shouldn't write off for that experience.

colombo2cam and Nembo1777 like this.