Daytona vent window latch adhesive | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daytona vent window latch adhesive

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jimmyr, Jul 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #26 TTR, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Daytona windshield (along with windshields for almost all road-use motor vehicles made anywhere in the world since WWII) and back/rear glass/window are both "laminated" glass, i.e. two layers of glass adhered (laminated) to each other with thin plastic film in between them, cured by heating all in autoclave. "Delamination" usually refers to separation of these layers, commonly evidenced by formation of visible air bubbles or - pockets in between two glass layers, usually around the edges of given windshield/window.

Vent/wing, door/drop and quarter (side) glass were originally produced as single pane/thickness glass that was "tempered" (=heat treated), also at times referred as "toughened", which has a tendency to "shatter" (to countless small pieces of glass) on harsh impact, especially if that impact is created by some sharp object.

P.S. While I might come across a bit too pedantic about the subject, I've been reproducing windshields and other glass for vintage cars for 25+ years.

P.P.S. Yes, it apparently is quite common for Daytona vent glass/window latch bases break off by shearing some glass with it.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... but all that can be alleviated/prevented by adequate re-alignment of surrounding frame work and/or support structures inside the doors, hence best (& easier) if done prior to any major (re-)paint work.

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The top of the chrome vent frame on my Dino GTS really pinches the seal and flexes out on the passengers side. I tried to at least alleviate the pressure by adjusting the lower mount but it is still a bit too tight in my estimation. I think at the factory the fit was given a lot of latitude as to what was acceptable.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I guess that's one way of putting it, although I think the "credit"(?) should be given to Scagliettis workshop which constructed all the coachwork for Daytonas & Dinos. :rolleyes:

5. rick stormer

rick stormer Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    rick stormer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

50mL Bottle Permabond® UV610 High Strength UV Curable Adhesive
    Fastenal Part No. (SKU)
    Manufacturer Part No.
    UV006100050B0101
    UNSPSC
    Manufacturer