C8 CORVETTE | Page 44 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
  2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    The cold start will always happen with the exhaust valve open until the vacuum/motor closes the valve. That is the fail safe position of the valve and it closes within 5 or 10 seconds. If you are in sport or track mode the valve stays open. In Weather mode or MY mode and Touring mode the valve closes . You can set it to stay open in My mode . Also if you shut the car off in Weather mode or Sport mode or Track when you restart it will default to Touring mode.

of2worlds and DIGMAN52 like this.
  3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    What I have found looking at these various reviews is the C8 is being compared to cars with 100 to 200 HP more . In a lot of cases the C8 will take most of them off the line or stay even in 0-60 speeds but runs out of steam near the end of the 1/4 mile. I'm interested in seeing the results when the C8 goes to 600+HP. Oh as for high rev. engines don't the NASCAR push rod N/A engines run at 8000 to 9000 rpm.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Absolutely. The 100 to 180 speed timing between the C8 and the Pista is like 19 seconds. After 100 mph, the Euro's blow the C8 away.

5. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Interesting. If Randy is using the same track the F8 is no faster than the 2013 ZR1 times or the Viper. So much for progress and technology.

6. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    thecarreaper likes this.
  7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Agreed so lets see when the 650hp C8 hit the street and how that will compare. Supposed to be the 2022 Z06

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Leaked docs say no turbos on the Z06, flat plane crank 32 valve twin cam, and 675 HP for 2022 MY. That would mean production starting around Sept this year. The 458 has 562 HP but is only 4.3L vs 5.5

Image Unavailable, Please Login

niklas and thecarreaper like this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If those are the figures, this may be my ONLY super car. I'd get the convertible, of course. And I'd do it without the silly wing.

niklas and Boomhauer like this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My guess is the wing will be active aero and not stuck on.

Still waiting for the cost of this thing but IMO, Chevy is filling a void that Ferrari has abandoned by going all turbo.

boxerman, SAT4RE, niklas and 2 others like this.
  11. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    That car will be a beauty if those numbers are true. Chevy will hit a home run and reap the benefits. It’ll sell like hotcakes and I will be looking for one myself

VAF84 and DIGMAN52 like this.
  12. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Not going to hold my breath as far as active aero is concerned. Not with Chevrolet. Really expected to see it done in the C7 generation along with some underbody aero trickery but...

With more hp, maybe the Z06 gets rid of the silly gearing. I hope the widebody helps the design as well. a lot. Love that they are finally going DOHC again, first time since the C4 ZR1. But I'm more interested in the upcoming hybrid and EV versions (if only because I'm looking forward to reading the moans and groans from the people who claim they will not buy anything that doesn't have a 5.7+ litre V8) and expect that I will at least find the design tolerable as this generation nears its end. With any luck, the C9 will be closer to spot on for me.

VAF84 likes this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Talk about holding your breath -- there may never be a C9. This may be the last gas powered Corvette. GM is making a huge move to electric now.

k wright and BJK like this.
  14. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    With 3 states now outlawing the sale of new gas powered cars in the next 10 years the end is near. More states will sign up in the future.

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ Never going to happen. what will the new arrivals to this country drive? golf carts?

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Millions of people don't have a garage (never mind a house) to charge overnight. And there is a shortage of a few million charging stations across the country.

VAF84 likes this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. Condo's included. The HOA's are not going to pay for an electrical upgrade unless compensated by the government.

But as sports cars go, gas powered ones may be going the way of the do do bird.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    There will be a rethink on that mandate as the time nears. The infrastruture is simply nowhere and cali already has no eletcricity.
    Hybrids may count as part of the electric mandate in which case the vette will have no issue.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Chinese have a system for their taxis. Its a robot battery replacement system. You drive in and the robot is under the car unscrewing and replacing the pack. When its perfected they say it will take 3 minutes max.

For self driving electric vehicles such as taxi's and 16 wheelers of the future, this is probably where we are going until they make faster charging systems but there's a limit.

Boomhauer and of2worlds like this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    still need infrastructure to do that

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes. That's why its for industrial purposes first. But when its up then they plan to design normal road cars to use it.

Replacing a battery in 3 minutes for industrial purposes is a lot better than the entire machine sitting there for 8 hours recharging.

Boomhauer, BJK and jm2 like this.
  22. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    To get any widespread adoption of a uniform service like robot battery exchange, cars and their owners must think very much alike in terms of style and construction. We must be willing to adapt to the abilities of these new services (wit times, etc.) which may be difficult for Americans to do.

23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    and this applies to Liquid Hydrogen fuel cells and Natural Gas/Propane powered vehicles also. They don't have the wide spread fueling station infrastructure to be main stream. Chicken or the Egg situation.

Boomhauer and VAF84 like this.
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    That’s why batteries are the way to go
    Widespread power distribution exists
    What’s missing is generating capacity
    Also with the new dc charger recharging g time will come down to 15 mins.

the issue for widespread adoration is generating capacity. That tells me I. 2030 it’s not goi g to be all
    Electric whether that’s charging g or battery swaps. There simply is not the generating capacity there. For sure while there will be a lot more electrics ell also see plenty of ice.

to the extent t Electrification is mandated I. Some markets the. Flywheel assist hybrids will meet the letter of the law.

I just drove my to Florida, from Maryland south we stayed on backroads the whole way. You can buy gas from multiple places in every little town, you do t go more than 30 miles between stations. Ekectric infrastructure needs to go a long long way before battery powered cars work outside of urban elitist corridors. We’re talking about places where the things peole uses are made and distributed, the other half of America.

25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Red Mist

Silver Flare

bigblock427, Boomhauer and k wright like this.