360 Brake Flush Problem | FerrariChat

360 Brake Flush Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spider348, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Having an issue with the brake flush on my 360.
    2001 360 F1 spider.
    Motive Power Bleeder. Used multiple times on my prior F355, 348 etc with no issues. Simple and easy to set-up and use.
    My 360 appears to be a different story!
    Attach Power bleeder. Check pressure. No drift, holds.
    Brake fluid in power Bleeder. Pressure to 15psi.
    Open bleed screw. Little or no fluid.
    Repeated attempts at different wheels. Same result.
    Shop flushed 2 years ago, fluid looks fine. Everything clean.
    I assume pilot error. Help appreciated!

2. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Try the inner bleeder first. It is very common for the external cross over line to be obstructed.

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    It is possible that you need new rubber lines. Also as stated above, the crossover tubes clog frequently. I recommend a thorough cleaning of the calipers. Also, check the reservoir bottom and make sure you don't have a gummy build up. That is common as well and a power bleeder will just force it into the ABS unit and that is not good. I have repaired many 360s with this issue.

4. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you MerlinTech! I researched this on the forum and found a post from you detailing "Gel" like brake fluid in 360s about 10 years ago.
    Pro flushed the system 3 years ago, not 2(My Bad). Used Shell DOT 4 Brake Fluid.
    I bled the Master Cylinder. Fluid now clear.
    Will replace lines and flush/clean calipers.

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Before you go crazy replacing lines, I suggest reversing the procedure. Open one bleeder at the closest wheel to the reservoir and force the fluid backwards. Since all four of your wheels are not bleeding, the clog has to be close to the reservoir. You may be able to force the clog back into the tank and free everything up. I'd try that before replacing all the lines and finding the problem still presents itself.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I know people love the motive's but I have always got a better pedal doing it 2 man. If you have no fluid flow 2 man then you have a problem. Also some cars bleed better if engine on because you get more pressure. You have to be more careful. Rubber lines do fail and things can gum up but it is rare, vs. the number of cars with no problems, on even a margianlly serviced brake system.

7. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do the brakes work when you hit the pedal? Do they release when you are off the pedal? Same on all 4 wheels? Mike

8. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Afwrench, yes brakes worked fine. No issues. Hard pedal. Pad wear consistent. Same issue all 4 corners.
    Researched online. Read many makes with similar issue. Porsche, BMW, Corvette, Ducati, HD etc. all attributed problem to fluid contamination. No idea if mine is the same.
    Fluid removed is darker, appears marginally higher in viscosity.
    Fatbillybob, plan to try 2 man method next. Bled many cars this way over the years!
    Thanks to all for replies.

9. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This is becoming a common problem in 360's as they get older, and we have experienced it often. The problem that we've found is that the fluid reservoir falls apart internally, and little plastic white colored pieces migrate down to the caliper crossover pipes and clog them up. Replace the reservoir, remove the cross over pipes and clean them, and the problem should go away and reoccur twenty years from now!
    Gary Bobileff

10. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello Gary, thank you. Will follow your procedure since based on real world experience. Not much more valuable when determining root cause of an odd problem!
    Dealt with you years ago. Helped me with a Bobileff customer's '86 Euro Black TR. Put me in touch with the owner(Qualcom exec if I recall correctly). Did the PPI. After sale, I had you do the complete major due, new tires etc. Shipping to MA. Your help was invaluable. Made the buying experience very positive!

11. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Update.
    Finally had time the last couple of weeks to work on 360 brake issue. My wife's puppy arrive from Germany in December. Limited time!
    Gary Bobileff was on the money!
    Brake reservoir had deteriorated, contaminating the fluid.
    Replaced reservoir.
    Removed caliper crossover lines. Cleared.
    Cleared calipers.
    Flushed and bled 4X to remove contaminated fluid. (Cycled ABS before last 2 flush and bleeds)
    Filled with ATE Super Blue to insure fluid change complete(Blue color easy to track)
    Pedal hard and firm.
    Thank you again for all the help!

lkstaack, JL350 and EastMemphis like this.
  12. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Accumulated life's knowledge is to be shared !
    Gary Bobileff

13. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    The white crusty substance often found in these is a reaction of moisture and the Shell fluid. Working for a dealer we saw this often and it almost looks like sugar candy. I have only seen this occur with Shell fluid which is the factory fill and what most dealers will use. I have never seen it on the Challenge cars that run Brembo fluid nor have I seen it on cars running alternatives to the Shell products. I have my own shop now and we run either the Brembo or Motul fluids and do not see this issue.

14. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Gary, Thank You Again!

Windsock. Interesting observation. Checked brake flush by factory trained tech a couple of years ago. Brake fluid used was Shell brand.

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Where did you find ATE Super Blue? I thought it had been taken off the market a few years ago.

16. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That was going to be my exact question as well.

17. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Had 3 quarts in sealed containers from years ago. New product ATE 200? Blue or no color?