Ferrari dino chairs and flairs | FerrariChat

Ferrari dino chairs and flairs

Discussion in '206/246' started by abavai, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abavai

abavai Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I want to know the diference between standard dino and chairs and flairs model.
    I love the wheels in the chair and flairs model.
    Is most expensive this model than standard model?
    This picture was taken in the summer of the year 1997 in Cannes (France) in a garage .
    Have you registered this plate?
    Thanks..........
    Alberto.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The chairs and flares package consists of factory flared fenders, Campangolo 7.5" wide wheels instead of 6.5" Cromodora wheels and leather daytona seats .

I guess there were more expensive as any package offered by Ferrari :)

3. nzo4re

nzo4re Karting

Mar 13, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Lassen
    A Chairs & Flares GTS would be more expensive than the coupe pictured.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Not realy a package. They were two separate options that were often paired together.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    they weren't a package and were not often selected together. the cahirs package was quite popular, but the "flairs" package did not get chosen all that often. for original pricing and specs, check out www.dinoregister.com. it has quite a bit about the options for dinos.

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Yes, the last 2 posts sum things up nicely. If you're in the market though, caveat emptor- many cars have been modified with flared fenders that aren't factory-original. I owned a GTS with both chairs and flared fenders/wide Campy wheels for many years, and it was a very nice car. Denny Schue of the Dino Register can tell you quite a lot about the history of any Dino you may consider buying, and it'd be wise to consult him.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    it must also be stated that just because the wheels are campy's, that doesn't mean it is a flared fender car. you can buy replica campy's that give the "flared" look and many people believe these cars are flared, when they are not. there is a very noticible difference in the wheel arches if they are flared. likewise, several cars have been "flared" during resoration. if the car wasn't created that way by the factory, many people will not consider it to be a "real" car. it is a matter of personal preference. real "flared" cars are rare and bring a premium due to that. i personally do not like the flares and believe they take away from the cars natural lines. i would expect to pay less for them, but i am in the minority. the same can be said for chairs. almost all restored car i have seen have "chairs" or the daytona style inserts. i like the look as do most people and they bring a premium. just becuase the car sits there today with chairs doesn't mean that the factory put them there. the point, is buy what you like, but don't pay for "artificial originality". many sellers do everything they can to cast their cars in the strongest light. do your homework and make sure you are getting what is claimed.

a bigger concern to me is whether the cars has its tools, books and etc..... these items, although often overlooked at the intial purchase, will set you back upwards of $10k in some cases. try selling your car to a knowledgeble collector and he will deduct value for these items if they are missing. not having these items affects value greatly. once again, don't pay for something you are not getting.

Neelfryer likes this.
  8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Instead of starting a new thread (even though I could have). Does anyone have production numbers on Fairs & Chair Dinos. GT vs GTS. Years in production?

9. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    I've always thought there were 91 total made with this option set. Matthias, of the 91, how many were GTS and how many were GT's? Weren't they all produced in 1973 and 1974?

ag512bbi likes this.
  10. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  12. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
  13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    used to work, maybe he got covid

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    the site was closed down April 2019!

UroTrash likes this.
  15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Not defunct.
    Denny Schue's info is still there but they used those "Frames" to pack in the data - which were last popular during the MySpace era.

Go to "Dino Production Highlights " ,
    scroll down to the "Wide wheels and wide fender flares-optional in 246 Dinos" section
    then to see:
    "....The option appears most common on USA and British version cars. The breakdown is as follows. 246GT coupes: British version-22 cars, European version-5 cars, and USA version-5 cars. 246GTS spyders: USA version-91 cars, British version-21 cars, and European version only 2 cars..."

UroTrash likes this.