FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

FAQ: Shopping for a used 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Camdon53, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Biggest lesson of all.... there is no such thing as a bargain when it comes to a Ferrari. Owners know exactly what they have and what it is worth and buyers ‘normally’ do plenty of homework to determine how to pick a good sound car. If it seems cheap rest assured there will be a dam good reason why?!?!
    Sold my 348ts for top dollar as it was a really neat package. Far more than I paid for it. Thought I made a killing until I went to buy my 360 Manual Spider (red, beige interior). Had to pay top dollar to get the car I wanted and and as good a package as what I had sold. Accept this reality and you will get the car of your dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    I had the 30 amp relay in my 2001 369 Modena replaced with a 50 amp unit in 2017. Labor was $210, and parts were $280. This was done at a shop which works on Ferrari's and part of the annual service I was having done.

The previous owner of the car, installed a gauge which indicated when the ECU and F1 relay were on. Based upon my experience before and after the relay switch neither the ECU or relay every stayed on more that four seconds.

Hakan458 likes this.
  3. JRE

JRE Karting

Mar 1, 2020
    So Far Away From Home Lost In Hollywood
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks to ALL for the info in this thread...:D

Reddesire348 and pilotoCS like this.
  4. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    I dont know if you all agree but the spider will be less value in the future than the hardtop
    it doesn't have the iconic shape as the hardtop
    soft top mechanical issue is $$
    build # are much higher with a spider than hardtop.

with that being said … I am on the hunt for a hardtop F1 F360 ..!!

5. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Not sure if many would agree with you at all. The soft-top (particularly manual) is much rarer and in greater demand than hard tops so it a supply/demand thing. Shape wise with the top down one could argue which is the more iconic shape. Any cost associated with the repair of the soft top (had my 2004 3 years now and it’s been fine) is far outweighed by the costs of repairing the F1 if that goes. Neither are considered achilles heals on a 360 anyway.

Mimmo Blue and Keith Ngulube like this.
  6. JRE

JRE Karting

Mar 1, 2020
    So Far Away From Home Lost In Hollywood
    Full Name:
    James
    Top Down; Price Up.

That theory works with cars too. ;)

armedferret and Mimmo Blue like this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    And you are incorrect, there are more Modena than Spider.

Mimmo Blue and Al Casteen like this.
  8. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
    Excellent Info, Thank you !!

pilotoCS likes this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    skid-kid... I wonder what the delta is in #'s of coupe vers drop top that are still road going.... considering the high attrition rate of 360's..... (as seen on co-part, etc..)

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    8800 coupes. 7565 Spiders.

11. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

I've owned my 360 for 6 years. I've tracked it. Never had F1 issue. I change the relay every 2 years. Change the hydraulic fluid every 3 years. 3 mos ago, I changed the pump just bec I got a new unit for less than half the price and RTGT dropped their labor rate during the height of the pandemic.

Skidkid and Apollo 11 like this.
  12. Brian Roman

Brian Roman Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Brian Roman
    There is probably a lot of truth to what is stated above. I kind of went a different route though. I had a few glasses of wine and was glancing at 360s on eBay when I came across a 2000 (Euro) Spider with about 60K miles. It was red over crema with a gated shifter and black top. I offered $70K and he accepted (private owner in Chicago). A couple days later I was on a plane. I drove the car for about 30 minutes and handed him cash. My girlfriend and I stayed the night in Chicago and drove back eight hours the next day. Took it to my guy to have a post-sale inspection. With the exception of a couple minor things, all is good and I have now driven the car another couple thousand miles. Am I stupid? Probably. But it worked out and I feel like I got a lot of car for $70K. Whatever works I suppose. ‍♂️

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    No stupid bought mine unseen. Also Euro model. And been thinking about selling mine. Higher mile cars seem to have less issues even when maintenance has been mediocre

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I bought my Euro spider F1 sight unseen but it was owned by artsd, skidkid, and Noel prior, and had records and legit upgrades sufficient to impress the queen mother.

Attached Files:

Skidkid likes this.
  15. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    I too purchased my 2004 Manual Spider based only on some pics of the car and the service books. I live in Victoria and bought it from Ferrari Brisbane after it came up on CarSales. I had an alert set up on CarSales to let me know as soon as any manual spiders came up. I'll never forget it was around midday on a Friday when it popped up with little to no history and no pics. I rang them immediately and they told me it had been in storage the last 2 years however the owner decided to sell it as he had purchased a 458 and was just not using it. They didn't post any pics initially as it was dirty and they had just moved it into the service bay to be cleaned up. I told them to send me some pics anyway of the car and service logs

Within 2 hours I had paid a deposit and within 4 hours the advertisement was removed from CarSales. I was looking for over a year after selling my beloved 348ts (the usual story had an offer I couldn’t refuse) and had no idea it would take me that long to find the car I wanted. I even put together a spreadsheet with 3 columns where I had one column of 'must haves' in green, 'acceptable alternatives' in yellow and the 'do not wants' in red ie. F1 ;)

I did my homework thoroughly and knew what I wanted and what to look for. When a quality car comes along you just cannot afford to muck around with negotiating and procrastinating. The good ones are not often put on the open market and when they do come up they go fast to people like me who are ready to buy the right car at the right price.

Sure I tried to negotiate and made an offer some 20k below the asking. The dealer thanked me and said "look you are the first of 5 calls I've now had so I will put the offer on the table with the owner and get back to you". At that point I said forget my offer I'll take it !?!?

I flew up to Brisbane for my first ‘touchy feely’ and my first drive. It was everything I had wanted and more. I am wrapped to have found it!

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  17. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Yeap came with every thing. I even have the original matching Schedoni luggage and full service history with genuine 9800km at the time. Now I’m just over 19,000km
    Needless to say I’m wrapped

18. mb5

mb5 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi all. I’ve been a lurker on and off for a few years, but am now honing in my search for a 360 and have a question, particularly about pre-2002 models. The original post said:

> Some [pre-2002] issues are quite serious because failure involves very significant damage and repair costs, such as the cam variator shaft, cracking of the rear frame, cracking motor & transmission mounts, starter ring gear, and transmission throwout bearing & seal.

With the expectation that I’ll be finding cars that DON’T have documentation of doing the upgrade, I’m wondering if I can mostly dismiss the concern if there is some minimum of miles on it. That is, if a car has made it to 50k, can I assume that the cam variator shaft would have already failed if it was ever going to?

No guarantees of course, but rules of thumb would be very helpful. Thanks and looking forward to being able to post photos of my new purchase once it happens!

19. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Buying a Ferrari is very much like buying a pedigree dog that you want to breed yourself. The paperwork, receipts etc are no 'guarantee' that something is not going to happen however its very important and reassuring to have as it can be a good sign of not only the work being done but the owners general attitude towards the car during his/her ownership as well as significantly adding to future resale value.
    I always say 'plan for the worst and hope for the best'. Documentation with a Ferrari is very important and to 'dismiss the concern if there is some minimum of miles on it' is more a case of 'plan for the best and hope it’s not worse', an unwise path to follow IMHO

As an owner of 2 Ferrari's now over some years my take home message to you is;

You WILL get exactly what you are looking for IF;

1/ you know what you want and hold fast to that (don’t compromise on anything including paperwork),

2/ be patient (my second car took me nearly a year to find)

3/ be ready to buy fast when the car you are looking for comes up for sale as the good cars seldom last long on the open market and if you don’t snap it up there will likely be someone just behind you ready to go !

4/ Be prepared to pay good money for a good car. There is no such thing as a bargain when it comes to Ferrari's. Owners know exactly what they are worth and sellers who have done their homework know exactly what they need to pay to get the right car.

G8TD likes this.
  20. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Now don’t laugh however I put together this attached 'Ferrari 360 Configurator' as a means of defining exactly what I wanted in my car and what if any compromises I was willing to accept. I then sent his to all that I knew in the business to keep an eye out for me and to let me know if something came up that would fit the bill.

Basically I split the spreadsheet up into 4 columns then listed every possible 360 option I could think of and rated them all against my personal desires!

1/ Mandatory

2/ Highly Desirable. Willing to pay that bit more

3/ Would consider based on price

4/ Frowned Upon. Only if car is exceptional in other area's

Ultimately I got even more than I had hoped for so am very happy with the outcome!

Attached Files:

Maine57S1 likes this.
  21. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    this is amazing...

22. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Ha ha thanks. It is so easy to get caught up in the moment and buy something that was not what you really wanted. This helped me keep focused on what I wanted to ultimately get the car of my dreams so, for me anyway, it was a worthwhile effort.

Maine57S1 likes this.