Maserati Khamsin | Page 364 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    So great guess AMLC, yes that is 1262. If he is selling it is understandable he did not answer my email to his law practice.

History: Owned Motorcar Gallery, Fort Lauderdale,Florida, very first car ever owned by the company, bought January 1985.

Black then, tired interior, us bumpers.

1990 imported into Switzerland and then restored in Germany.

Sale 14486 - Exceptional Ferrari and Maserati Motor Cars, Related
    Automobilia, 17 Dec 2006
    The Palace Hotel, Gstaad, Switzerland.

It may have gone to Holland and then a few years ago sold to current owner.

that is what I have. Photos show it in black when motorcar Gallery in Fort Lauderdale had it, note wooden dashboard here as well. In recent photos it appears to have a normal dashboard. Then Gstaad auction photos indoors. The last outdoor photo was from the last ad in recent years.

-Merry Christmas to all Khamsinistas, hoping to gather 50 owners and their cars a KHAMSIN CINQUANTA, Mountains and lakes June 16-19 2022 in eighteen months. Full information will be sent to owners in February of 2021.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and AMLC like this.
  2. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thank you sir.. I will look them up... And post what I find. Merry Christmas Eve to all
    Richard

MK1044 likes this.
  3. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well. That innocent question "led" to a fun tangent .

I agree on the originality side of things.. but it seems a shame to stick with a likely lesser functioning product especially if any can later swap back to original with no harm done.

I'll post what I find.. thank you all for the entertainment..
    Richard

4. jelliott

jelliott Karting

Mar 8, 2010
    Seattle, USA
    Full Name:
    Joe Elliott
    Has anyone kept track of where 1028 has gone over the last two months? I just checked the website on the banner in the October show photo, and it looks like that dealer is no longer advertising it. (I'm always curious what became of 1028 because I've spent the last decade regretting not having bought it for $35k when the car and I both lived in Lexington, Kentucky; it was not in great shape at the time and I should probably be glad that I didn't take that plunge, but now that they've appreciated out of my price range it feels like I missed my once-in-a-lifetime chance to own my all-time favorite car.) It's nice to see it restored, and with the front bumper converted to match the back, but I'm a little shocked that someone chose to retain the goofy paint scheme.

-Joe

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Hi Joe,

Yes it is no longer offered by Wittner but it does not necessarily mean it sold. That car never really was restored, its condition was ok so so in Padova just like in Kentucky when I saw in at the Lexington Concours in August 2004 when Greg H had it. The front bumper was finally done, there was engine, waterpump, suspension work however. The rear US bumper brackets have not been cut off in this outdoor photo from Austria in 2013 and that was unchanged when I saw it in Padova late October (indoor photo).

jelliott likes this.
  6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I owned 1028 briefly in 2011. What is interesting is that both 1028 and 1010 were red with the same black lower panel paint. Is it possible that one (or both) were originally painted this way?

This is #1010: http://thecarnut.com/Khamsin75.html
    This is #1028: http://thecarnut.com/Khamsin75-1028.html

Ivan

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9082 Nembo1777, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Hi Ivan,

I think it is a case of copycat at some point, one owner seeing the other car (or photos of it) and deciding to do same. That is my 2 cents anyway, I don't see the factory doing this. You might want to ask Fabio after the holidays just to be sure.

Dick Chicklas who had 1010 (photos when he was selling it) before you bought it off him stated in VCM it was practical like an old shoe:) Whatever became of it after you sold it? It has remained under the radars as far as I know.

8. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Although not specifically a fan of the lower black paint.... it does a decent job of shrinking the US bumpers to my eye. Quite well in fact.. perhaps this was the goal?

Either way. Happy New Year soon to all. May 2021 be better in so many ways
    .. and for those in good shape.. remember to be thankful and share forward..
    Richard

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

MK1044 likes this.
  9. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    it could also have been a way to lower paint cost if any work had been needing a paint spray after..

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You are right it does something visually. Happy new two oh two one, with good health and lots of spirited miles at he wheel, it can only be better than two oh!

71Satisfaction, 010 and MK1044 like this.
  11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The plate on my US K states the ignition timing should be 4 ATDC at 1,000 RPMs. I assume this is with the micro switch located at the rear carb activating the vacuum solenoid that causes the distributor to retard. My car still has this connected and operational, although the air pump is gone and the air inputs to the thermal reactors plugged.
    Should I disconnect the micro switch and reset timing to around 10 degrees BTDC ? This is where I normally set a Ghibli so I assume a Khamsin engine would not be much different.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Sorry, I don't know the timing answer, but I notice the sparkplug gap isn't what the Owner's Manual calls for.
    0.8-to-0.9mm is 0.031-to-0.035".. not 0.025".. for what it's worth. And I checked my math.
    - Art

13. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes.
    That's what we did.
    Only caveat: Please install euro headers first, if at all possible!

She is now so much quicker anywhere under 90 mph than my Euro Bora it is shocking!
    BTW---For that reason, although I already got the 3.31 CWP I will not proceed w/that conversion!

IMO---An accident of history has resulted in a K which embodies the best of both worlds:):):)

14. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Correct. Good catch!

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Note that the plate lists the “Engine Family” - 107/49. I’ll have to check my Khamsin to see if it also list 107/49, but Khamsin are not 107 engines, they are 115.

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    You are correct, my Khamsin engine is stamped 115/07/49. Perhaps they meant to say this engine is a cousin of the 107 engine ... therefore is part of the family :)

Most likely Maserati had obtained EPA approval for the 107/49 engine for the Bora and used to the same "family" approval for the Khamsin.

Ivan

17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Unfortunately mine won’t be much help, completely faded away. We’ll have to get a photo from someone else’s US Khamsin. As noted, on the last line of the Plate conforms to EPA & California 1977 regulations, which just about all late Khamsins and Bora are listed as even though many were built well into 1978. My Khamsin #1228 was built in February 1978. Another possibility is that Luigi simply affixed a Bora plate to a Khamsin by mistake since Boras were actually a 107 engine. Another note on the 115/07/49 stamp on the engine. Apparently there were a number of variations of the 115 engine, the 07 designation is a US spec engine.

Attached Files:

18. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes 07 is the US manual and 13 the US automatic as far as I know, and 10 is for EURO cars.

I looked at some photos of emission plates, see below the plates of #1066 and #1142 (just as an example) both have the "Engine Family: 107/49" text.

19. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Four Khamsins in this video of the International meeting in Berlin, in 2001 I believe.

It’s nice to see #376 on the circuit (silver car with number 78 on the side), the car that unfortunately was destroyed in a fire some years later.
    The rame car is #392, and I think the dark red (Swiss) car is #352.
    And at the start there is a glimpse of a silver Khamsin with BBS wheels, probably #296?

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The intake manifold has two vacuum ports, one in the back (which on my car has a rubber plug) and another in the front which connects to the air plenum (where the air filter is located). What is the purpose of the front vacuum port? Was the back port originally connected to something?
    Ivan

21. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    Ivan,
    I believe the rear vacuum port is used as part of the conditioning system shown in Fig 36 of the owners manual. The front port is part of the fuel system and shown in Table 2 as part of the US supplement to the spare parts.
    Paul

22. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    A seat belt request... Is anyone able to share some pictures of the seat belt path on either side of their Khamsin.. start to finish of the loop including the retractor and bend points?

My google searching only shows the shoulder rollover point.. I'd like to see the retractor and anything else... I just want to confirm before I order as I am replacing manually adjustable belts with retracting style belts for convenience and comfort.
    Thank you,
    Richard

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I just replaced my belts, (using same hardware). If I get a chance today I’ll take a picture of the belts exposed without the interior pieces. As an FYI, each side has 2 retractor reels, one for the shoulder and one for the lap.

010 likes this.
  24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thank you Paul. I should have first read the owner's manual :)
    On my car, and every other K I have photos, the vacuum for the ventilation flaps actually comes via two check valves located on the left side of the intake manifold. This explains why that rear vacuum port has a rubber plug as it is not needed. Perhaps very early cars used that port and they found it was not producing enough vacuum to operate the flaps.

Ivan

71Satisfaction likes this.
  25. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Ivan... Not sure this will help, but I think we discussed this once before regarding vacuum and the HVAC flaps..
    Attached is a diagram (bad quality) of what I found in my car.. Might be of some use to you.. If you need more info,
    I will be at the car tomorrow or Thursday and can obtain additional info...

Mike

71Satisfaction likes this.