Happy 50th birthday, F-14 Tomcat! | FerrariChat

Happy 50th birthday, F-14 Tomcat!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Dec 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    50 ???

Island Time likes this.
  4. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Back in my early US Navy days, I had the chance to fly backseat (RIO slot) in an F-14 with a pilot that was certifiably crazy. Still one of the highlights of my life. >6G’s...twice!

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Hard to believe it's been a half century! Looks like there are still 5 or so mothballed at Davis Monthan based on satellite images. I wish I could have seen it fly in person...

greg328 likes this.
  6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    And the type is still in service with Iran.

7. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    greg328 and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  8. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    This F-14 is on the deck of the Intrepid which is docked on the Hudson River in Manhattan. It's in good company parked next to an A-12!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW.SauberF1Team and greg328 like this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That one in the second photo is the third prototype, and I believe that's the A-6F prototype next to it.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The F-14 became a real hot rod after they got rid of the TF-30s. Too late in its operational life to make much difference, though.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Isn't the TF-30 what did 'Goose' in?

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, The TF-30 turned out to be a really good engine and I have over 2000 hours using them. Only had to shut down a couple, and those were precautions, not failures. You can compressor stall most engines if you go out of their envelope at really high AOA and completely foul up the airflow. The late TF-30s in the F-111F were good for 25,000 lbst, but the F-14 went in a different direction and reengined with F110s in the B and D models for some commonality with the F-15E. The F-14D even used the F-15E radar. The F-14B and F-14D were really high performing aircraft and could out-accelerate anything through the Mach.

Tcar likes this.
  13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    WAAAAY back (2000-ish), I participated in the Race at the Base (NAS Oceana). After winning our sprint, I was invited (along with a Greenwood IMSA corvette in "Fly Navy" livery) to drag race a Tomcat. Had a lot of fun and tried to get a ride along in the back seat. Sadly, no luck on that, but, from that point on, the car carried the VFA-31 insignia as an honorary member of the squadron.

CW

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think that is the point. The F-111 was not flown in the same manner as the F-14, i.e. no close-in gun dogfight maneuvering. So while the TF-30 was a good fit with the F-111 it was not as good of fit for the F-14 as its mission evolved from firing AIM-54's at BVR to Top Gun.

To be fair though I thought Goose was a victim of wake turbulence rather than normal maneuvering.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think the wake turbulence caused one of the TF30s to flame out, and with the wide spacing of the engines, that could result in a quick spin. I believe something like that did happen in reality.

And what happened to Goose after ejecting could happen as well. With an F-14 in a flat spin, the ejected canopy might stay in the vicinity of the aircraft, so an ejecting crewman, especially from the back seat, could realistically hit it.