Certified Pre-owned Upcharge on Speciale | FerrariChat

Certified Pre-owned Upcharge on Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ThankfulGuy, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    I reluctantly post this question, but I PROMISE I search for it in previous thread and was not able to find it. Im looking to purchase 458 Speciale and the prices are somewhat scattered. One has 6000 miles that's selling for more than one with 3500 miles. One distinct difference being "certified preowned" by Ferrari dealership.

My question is.. is the certified preowned status worth the upcharge in price for a car, even if that car has more miles and multiple owners?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What’s the price difference? I would tell you that modern generation Ferrari’s are pretty much bulletproof. Also- all Ferrari’s have 7 years free maintenance included. It would really depend on the price to answer if it’s worth it or not.

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  3. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Also if one has prepaid warranty extension versus the other. There is a beautiful one in Rancho Mirage. Very reasonably priced. I couldn't take my eyes off from it. If my car would have taken longer, would have considered dropping mine for this one. That is how beautiful and well kept it was, but of course, pretty much with every other Speciale around.

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  4. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Thanks for the responses... for example.. Dupont registry... has several. Lake Forest has a red one with 6300 miles on it, asking 369,900 but there is another red, with different stripes in New York with 3300 miles asking 369,000... both are certified pre-owned... with service warranty til late 21 early 22... with 2 year warranty from the day of purchase.

However there is a red one, with same stripes as Lake Forest, that isnt certified pre-owned in PA with 3600 miles that isnt certified and being sold by a dealer other than Ferrari.

Lastly there one in florida with 7400 miles same color same stripe as Lake Forest, asking 344,000

So the prices are all over, but clearly certified pre-owned is a premium... I guess I trying to determine if that designation and the purchase from a dealer is the reason for the upcharge, and if each criteria should be interpreted as a safer car, functionally, than those cars that arent certified as such.

5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Thought I would add in a summary to make further commenting easier

Florida:
    car color is
    Rosso Scuderia

ZFF75VFA6F0208875
    7,460 miles

no suspension lifter (could be up to $20K+ to dealer install and not easy project)

carfax shows no evidence that free 7-year service plan is being utlizied, I think Ferrari drops that if you do not bring car in for annual service

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=zff75vfa6f0208875&partner=cdm_o

(doesn't mean it was not performed, but definitely check with Ferrari dealer to pull all service records and find out if car still qualifies for 7 year maintenance plan)

car might also need tires, cannot tell

Chicago:
    car color is
    Rosso Scuderia

ZFF75VFA6F0205104
    6,306 miles

has LEATHER seats, not Alcantara, on this car, leather seats are not as sellable...

no suspension lifter (could be up to $20K+ to dealer install and not easy project)

carfax appears to show car missed its last 2 annual service appointments, but is CPO so it does carry extra warranty which is usually about $5,000

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=zff75vfa6f0205104&partner=cdm_o

didn't find the NY car but did find a NJ car, in Rosso Scuderia, no suspension lifter, maybe add its VIN and details

- - -

overall there are not that many Speciale's for sale, and highly unusual to find so many, at the same time, in Rosso Scuderia, I think the alcantara interior/seats is a must...as well as the suspension lifter

and, due to age, check tire DOT build codes, might need replacing (4 years old is good time to replace for safe high performance driving) and check the wheels for damage, that can add up quick, those black wheels are about $6500 a piece and not easy to repaint/repair if curbed/damaged...

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  6. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Whether a car is CPO or non-CPO doesn't mean much IMHO - many of these cars are on consignment and typically dealer only CPO's cars they own.

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  7. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I owned the Lake Forest car. The stripe is Nero Stellato, white borders. The car had all of it's annual services, always on time.

PM with any questions...

tfazio and ThankfulGuy like this.
  8. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    So you would not pay an premium for the sake of purchasing a CPO in other words?

9. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  10. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    there she is... carfax says 4 owners... is that so? If it's sold at LF... I have no doubt it was maintained meticulously.

11. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    I considered the Pista... but... I just love this car...

12. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    awesome advice... wow... thank you.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    IMHO the Speciale is one of, if not the, greatest sports car ever created. I could list the reasons but why bother...everyone knows them. :)

14. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I would place maybe only a few thousand dollars value on a Certified Pre-owned. It's not hard to pass the Certified Pre-owned qualification and many dealers just fake it anyways.

The price discrepancy between the two cars is more likely influenced by the dealer's pricing strategies as well as spec. A Speciale's original sticker price can range from low 300K to almost 400K (and even higher) depending on options. Most were specced to around $330K sticker.

15. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    if you listed I would enjoy reading that list, just because Im nerdy like that... but... I must concur... even without reading your list. haha

16. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    this is the New York car I was referring to... and I didnt realize leather seats were a notable downer in this market... insightful information.

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/2015/ferrari/458--speciale/2374424

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Beauty is subjective but I consider the pininfarina-designed 458 Italia to be one of the most beautiful Ferrari V8s of ALL time. My biggest gripe with the 458 however, is the front is a little too feminine, too pointy and diminutive, not aggressive enough...well the Speciale fixed that and so the Speciale is the most beautiful Ferrari V8 IMO (the 16M is a close contender though).

The chassis talks to you. It is balanced, forgiving, communicative, and playful.

The engine has ~600 hp, and coupled with the brilliant DCT is electrifying. I don’t care what the turbo and hybrid hero boys here go on about more and more and more horsepower...I defy any sane driver to outperform me in my Speciale on lonely country roads... it isn’t going to happen. The engine sounds great (though not as great as the 458 Spider or certainly the 16M or the F12 or the 812 for that matter..:)...but sounds great nonetheless. Last of the NA powerplants, end of an era to be sure...they won’t be made again...gobble em up while you still can.

Overall..the balance of the car is near perfect..the power is useable throughout the entire powerband and to all the way to 9000 rpm redline...the supermodel looks and the bulletproof reliability all put together for one of the greatest packages ever.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  19. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    hahahah any "sane driver"... hahahahahahah

awwww man... that was WELLLLL worth the read... thank you for that... whew.. IM SWEATING over here.

Ok HERE'S A QUESTION... one of the commenters here made note of the leather seats in one of the specs I provided as a comp. I personally LOVE alcantara seats,,, however, the car in question is AWESOME, and I've even had the opportunity to speak with the previous owner who CLEARLY meticulously cared for it. Are leather seats THAT MUCH of a no no in your opinion?

Oh and.. I've already kinda made plans to add an iconel exhaust to her... which should address that little matter of sound.

please... elaborate further... I have thoroughly enjoyed your input... and the car pic is great.

20. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    bulletproof reliability doesn't refer to the leather and plastic, right? :)

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  21. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    ahhh comone now... hahaha

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I see:

VIN:
    ZFF75VFA9F0207025

3300 miles or so, great all Alcantara interior, but, no suspension lifter, to me, it's a must have, but if not, and you like the red rev counter, looks like a great choice!

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  23. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    thank you... very kind of you to share your insights. Truly appreciated

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If given a choice I prefer leather to Alcantara, and I really don’t like the “technical fabric.”
    Buy the car for yourself, let the next guy worry about his own decisions.