Coolant temperature sensor. | FerrariChat

Coolant temperature sensor.

Discussion in '308/328' started by TommyA, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Adapting the vehicle with EFI I need to feed the ECM with a coolant temperature sensor. This has been addressed before and everyone seems to be aiming that the best place to get this info relayed to the ECU is on the cross flow pipe. The temp gauge is connected to it so my question is, can I spit the line and feed the temp gauge and the ECU from the same sensor? Also the 2 valve 308 is fitted with a cold start temp switch near the oi filter housing. Since no longer needed is this a good pace to fit an additional sensor?

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I installed mine (QV) in the block below the plenum. The location was previously occupied by a sensor for the Bosch system.

3. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Do you recall which sensor you used? (part #)

4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I used a Motec sensor. 55001: Bosch Water Temp Sensor M12 X 1.5

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #5 mk e, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Yes, but the gauge is 0-8V and the ECU will want 0-5 most likely so you'll need to add a 1:2 voltage divided to the lint going to the ecu. I'm trying to recall...the sensor is like 170 Ohm I think, but check it, the go at least 10x higher the voltage divider resistors so you don't mess up the gauge reading. ALso its not linear so you'll need to figure out what reading is what temp, dropping it in a pot on the stove with the thermometer in the pot and meter on the sensors is probably the easiest way if google doesn't deliver numbers.

I installed a modern sensor then use a PWM output from the ECU to run the gauge, you need a calibration table so not all ECUs can do this but it seems to work well.

what ECU are you using?

No-ish. There is very little circulation through the tank so it will be slow responding.....it could probably be used but I don't think that's an ideal solution.

I've used the block as ferripilot noted on the couple 308s I've done as well as my V12 but I use a 12mm GM sensor.

edit, found a link
    https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1598

6. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Mark,
    The OEM sensor is 2k ohms and the replacement that I have for it is 2.6k ohms. I will be using the M800 ECU. As for the cold start temp switch I was under the impression that this is the sensor on the block. I guess I can replace the one at the cross flow and feed the ECU from there and than fit another on the block and feed the gauge??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I just measured that sensor and it's an M14. Did you have to make another fitting for it?

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Right, the one currently in the block is a temp switch not a sensors....but you no longer need it so its a great place to add the new sensor you do need.

Technically the hottest temp should be at the cross flow manifold, but the water pump is always circulating water through the block even with the thermostat closed so the 2 positions will always be pretty close so it doesn't really matter which goes to the ecu or gauge i don't think.

10. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
  11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    As I said above, I don't think it matters and I've done it both ways.

12. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Sorry I missed your post. Thank you for the help Mark.