430 - Moisture in F430 Rear Window | FerrariChat

430 Moisture in F430 Rear Window

Discussion in '360/430' started by SingleClutch, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    When I bought my F430 back in March 2020 I noticed there was some water dripping down the back window (between the cabin and engine compartment) but I thought it was just from the car being freshly detailed.

The water is still there and appears to be between two panes of glass. Has anyone run into this before? Any idea if there’s a simple way to get in there and clean/dry it?

Kinda hard to capture in a photo, but these show what I’m talking about:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ray Smith likes this.
  2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I been thru this. Its not water. Its the glass seperating and the only way to fix it is to replace it. The glass is available, but the problem is that the gasket that goes around the glass is nla. Doesnt make sense but thats my finding. I found and bought a gasket from a wrecked car and i still have it because i was lucky to not destroy the gasket when i removed the glass from my car. When doing this project you gotta have a gasket ready in case you slice yours during removal of the glass, if you dont your stuck.

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    FWIW... you may want to check with Steele Rubber products and Metro Molded parts. They offer a lot of universal window rubber that can often be used as a substitute to OEM stuff. I have used them quite a bit for various applications.

Best of luck, Ken

SingleClutch likes this.
  4. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I've seen tons of delamination before (in aircraft mostly), but this truly doesn't appear to be that. Not saying it isn't, and I certainly don't want to be too skeptical, but I even took a closer look at it after reading your comment. If it is actually the layers separating, I'll probably just not worry about it unless something critical fails, or until it gets so bad I can't stand it anymore. Thanks for the heads up on the gasket though. If I can find a gasket, maybe I'll pick it up just in case.

armedferret likes this.
  5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Just got word today from Maranello classic parts in the UK. Double check before ordering, but they said the rear window now includes the seal.

I’ll be ordering mine in the spring. Right now doing to many things with the cars to worry about my rear window.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SingleClutch likes this.
  6. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    This is unfortunately a common problem, I had that same issue on both of our F430's. Any word on how much to install the new window and gasket?

7. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Vince your absolutely correct, it IS a common problem. Its a 3 pane glass and it will bubble. I did most of the work myself removing interior trims and I also had most of the glue around the glass scraped away trying my best not to ruin the gasket. The gasket can be saved if your really carefull. My glass guy charged me 200 to finish removing and installing it.

8. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Ok thx, good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Good to know, wasn't aware this was a problem. I hope I don't have this issue, though I rather deal with this than the F1 actuator going out.

Ray Smith and armedferret like this.
  10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I have exactly the same problem. I guess I can kiss "Best of Show" at Pebble Beach goodbye.

Ray