430 - Leaking Radiator Fluid - Replace all or one??? | FerrariChat

430 Leaking Radiator Fluid - Replace all or one???

Discussion in '360/430' started by 2008F430, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    So I have notice a very small amount of what I assume is radiator fluid under the front portion of the car. (Green in color, slightly slick feeling and matches the color of the fluid in the rear expansion tank). I have been checking the level but cannot tell that it has fallen enough to add any fluid yet. My plan was to keep a close eye on it until the service was due and then have it addressed. This morning after the car has been sitting for a week there was enough to consider doing something sooner. I don’t have a lift and I am not crazy about getting under the car with Jack’s. My plan is to get it on a lift and then find the leaking hose or fitting. My questions are...

I believe this to be a fairly simply fix, am I correct in that?

Should I go ahead and replace all hoses and fitting while I am doing this to prevent doing it again next month?

I have heard of a blue radiator fluid in F430’s. Why do I have green and how do I determine the correct fluid?

Do I need a pressure vacuum system to do this?

The car is a 2008 CPO. I assume this would not be covered under warranty.

How big a risk is driving the car with this small leak?

Should I just take it to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for the help. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I believe this to be a fairly simply fix, am I correct in that?

Can be as simple as drain cock being loose (when was your last service) or more involved lke a leaking radiator

Need to get on lift and possibly remove front undercover and see where it is coming from unless you immediately see it leaking from drain plug

Should I go ahead and replace all hoses and fitting while I am doing this to prevent doing it again next month?

I won't touch anything you don't need to..

I have heard of a blue radiator fluid in F430’s. Why do I have green and how do I determine the correct fluid?

The factory fill is blue but when you or prior owners get it serviced they could have put in different coolant that is compatible yet not blue .eg peak global , G05 zerex

Do I need a pressure vacuum system to do this?

If you plan to drain it and refill it makes it easier but not necessary if you followed manual

The car is a 2008 CPO. I assume this would not be covered under warranty.

Not sure ..again ..if a radiator i would thin but i really don't know the answer here

How big a risk is driving the car with this small leak?

Doesn't seem that small ..are you getting that from one drive cycle ..or is that continuing day after day .. i would get in fixed sooner than later ..would hate for you to run low and cause other bigger issues

Should I just take it to the dealer?

That totally depends on you comfort level and mechanical skills .. i would at least try to see where it is coming from ..drain plug.. clamp , hose, radiator solenoid valve

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    armedferret and flash32 like this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check to see it is not coming from the pump seal and running forward

5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The drain plug and lower radiator hose is rite in that area. Hopefully its one of those items, perferrably the drain plug. I once had a drain plug rot away on my 355. I was lucky to get it out.

6. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I wanted to post what I found in the hopes that it might help a fellow F Chat member. After getting the car up on a lift we determined that is was higher up. That led us to remove the trunk interior to get to the area behind the cover. After removal we could see evidence of a leak but it wasn’t apparent where the leak was coming from. Our best guess was the TGK valve. I was told that I might have to wait for it to cool down to find the leak. I drove it home and clean up all the existing fluid. After letting it sit over night I found a small drop where the heater hose connects to the TGK valve. I decided to check and make sure the hose clamp was tight and found that it was a little loose. Got about one Image Unavailable, Please Login turn on it to snug it up. Test drove it today and will check it one more time before I button it up. If I had know this, I believe I could have tightened the hose clamp without removing the trunk interior by accessing it through the brake reserve lid. Not a big deal to remove other than a water barrier that isn’t really made to come off without damage. It’s kind of like a styrofoam material that is hot glued to keep water out of the trunk. Very difficult to remove without tearing it. I will say that I was impressed to see that all the other hoses looked brand new. I didn’t feel that replacing any of them was needed. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Qavion likes this.
  7. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Qavion likes this.