Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #76 Ferrari55whoa, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    @SteveVT he listed that car here in january of last year and has been on CL here in the Bay Area as well. Nice car no question.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2003-ferrari-575m-only-22k-miles-and-fresh-major-dealer-service.615604/#post-147487701

Doesnt have FHP like the Grigio Titanio here in Los Gatos that sold for $84k. Full disclosure I was texting with the owner within the last week. I’d buy that car, seems like a solid choice at the right price. Equivalent car in LA is the $74k RNM grigio titanio which I noted here is now for sale on Autotrader for an ask of $89k. That LA car is owned by a collector not in a hurry to sell (nice guy I spoke with on the phone).

I’ve largely been putting BaT cars here cause while they are higher hammer prices than private sales they are still public closed/hammered real sales numbers vs asking prices.

I’ve got a pretty complete spreadsheet of all the 575 and 550’s for sale country wide if anyone needs help.

2. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    @enesset - This discussion and the information you are providing are super helpful - especially for those of us new to the market.

Looking at the BaT auction results for the 575m - they seem fairly in line with the Hagerty prices. Low mileage, well-documented, garage queens seem to land in the high 90s to low 100s. Higher mileage drivers seem to fall in the 80s. However, the BaT sample size is pretty small -about 20 cars over the last couple years- so hard to really make any conclusions.

You are tracking this much more closely than I am, so curious to get your thoughts on BaT v Hagerty. v Private market prices.

BTW, I also spoke w Tom (argento 575) and agree that he seems like a very good guy and his car seems like a well-maintained driver. Good option for sure!

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @SteveVT I'm going to give you a long answer..... I'm also interested in hearing more about how your situation has gone with the black 575 you picked up on BaT, has your local mechanic gone through it yet?

Tom's LA/Beverly hills car and David's Norcal Black 575 are very similar. Both seem like really good cars. If someone has to have one now, then those are two very nice west coast options that should theoretically trade below $84k. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a 575 over the price for the Los Gatos Argento car since that was a "no issues w/ FHP) car.

I've noted before on F-chat and maybe on this thread, I've got a small collection of cars and of the last 4.... I've bought all 4 sight unseen (really dumb), shipped 2 across country and the other 2 I flew and drove back (also dumb but sometimes a sadist needs an adventure). Only done a PPI once and it was on a 308 many many years ago and I walked from the car due to the needs. The last car I bought I had the "red mist" over and and missed it at auction 2 times over 3 years and I bought it the 3rd time it came up for sale without a PPI which was really dumb, I knew better but the amount of money wasn't huge so I took the risk. The result was the engine was toast and I got to spend $14k and change rebuilding a race/solid-lifter DART 427 (now 428)....lesson learned.

Feels like some people on BaT are going to have an opportunity to receive a similar education. For many people, we hope that whatever they are purchasing without PPI is not a material amount of money. It is extremely unlikely that I personally would buy a car from Bring A trailer, or frankly any auction for a car more than say $25k.....I've done this enough to know better and should be doing a PPI and putting my hands on it and my collection (and frankly my wife's patience) can only bear one more car and its going to be the right 550 or a smoking deal on a very well optioned 575 that may go under conversion from F1-6MT.

Hagerty is great for insurance purposes and is "trailing data" and works for a huge set of similar cars and/or is a good valuation perspective if you crash a car and want to replace it immediately without being patient on a luxury item. Another problem with Hagerty values is they are WAY too general. If you are shopping for something that has a large readily available sample set then it works. Not as great for limited Ferrari's.

Reason I say that is, look at some of the "COVID era" data, the most recent is the most relevant (if a seller NEEDS/Wants to sell)......understanding "past performance is not a predictor of future results)...... Here in Los Gatos that gray car 131739 sold for $84k with good maintenance, modulars, daytonas, a great interior AND FHP. Tom's LA/Beverly Hills car is good but not as optioned so it should trade at a discount. Some say FHP is a must so that value (or lack thereof for other cars) must be reflected.

When the LA black 575 with serious maintenance needs, and accident history (but the full carbon package and sport seats) clears the market that would be an interesting datapoint. I've had a DM/Conversation with one of us here and he thought that car was $60-$65 and I don't disagree....tops $65k. That one should set the bottom.

I love the hunt and could talk/type about this for a long time. I've got to get going this morning but I'm very interested in talking/texting/etc if you want you can DM/Conversation me as well.

The 550 market is a little harder to nail down since we don't have as many datapoints and frankly those owners feel like typically longer "buy and hold guys" that don't need to sell. The 550 that is at the very top of my personal list is very well optioned and the seller is not in a hurry which is nice. With any luck I'll become exhausted by the search at the same time the seller is ready and we can get together at a time and price that works for both of us. ;-) Patience is a virtue!

I would say if someone is very wealthy and wants a 550 Brian's EZ2SPD has to be the nicest in the country that I can tell.

F456M likes this.
  4. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    @enesset - Thanks for this. Super interesting and very much appreciate you taking the time to share your insights and experience. Your explanation re pricing is really helpful -please keep sharing what you learn!

You raise some really good points re purchasing a car wo PPI on BaT. Your story about the DART 427 sounds painful! Let me try to explain my reasoning for buying it:

In Vermont, we tend to look at cars differently than guys would in California. We have some great driving roads, but, man, this place is tough on cars. A perfect car means every time I take it out, I have to worry about a road chip, stone, pothole -whatever - that is a loss in value. On the other hand, if I buy a car where the cosmetics aren't perfect (priced accordingly), I can enjoy the car more and deal with the cosmetics at the time of sale.

I've been looking for a Maranello (550/575) driver that I could feel comfortable driving on Vermont roads 6 months out of the year and I didn't want to pay a price premium for a perfect exterior that is going to lose value every time a truck throws up a piece of gravel. I am also not hugely interested in some of the popular/valuable 575m options: carbon fiber, FHP, leather shelf etc and did not want to pay extra for them. I do, however, like the modular wheels, which my car has.

I think you are right that the floor on 575s is probably in the mid-60s, so at $69k (well, $72k after BaT fees), I am pretty close to the bottom. I bought a car with no accident history with the expectation that it will need almost certainly need a major service plus some other unanticipated issues that will need to be resolved. This is a car that I am planning to hold on to and put some serious road trip miles on. If the market for good drivers is around $80-85k today and we expect the model to have some modest future appreciation (say 3-5% per year on avg), I might be ok.

The car took forever to be shipped from Texas to Restoration Performance Motors (well-regarded shop here in VT), but it finally arrived in mid-December. Last week I met up with the mechanic, Keith, and RPM owner, Peter. The plan is that RPM is going to try to get the car out for a test drive this week - weather permitting. They will then put it up on the lift and we will start to get a better understanding of where we are at. We have started a list of to-do items - @tazandjan shared some helpful points. I will do a detailed post once I've got more info.

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @SteveVT Steve I totally get it, makes a lot of sense. I also sent you a PM/conversation.

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The "wow" at BaT continues! What an amazing sellers market on that platform...it is non-sensical. The aforementioned Grigio Alloy with Carbon sold WAY higher than I anticipated.

SOLD $88,500 on 12/28/20
    +) 575 F1 Ser no. 133702
    +) 2003 MY with 30k miles
    +) Carbon package and no other options -- Needs a Full Major Belt Service
    +) Fort Lauderdale, FL
    +) Attractive Grigio Alloy over blu scuro
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-17/
    +) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/575-on-bat.569247/#post-145811673
    +) LAST TIME -- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-4/

This result in my mind made very little sense (buyer is in Boulder CO which does tell me something since I lived there for 2 years). The seller drove the car for 3 years avoided a major belt service and his daughter got to keep the luggage from when he bought the car 3 years ago. That seller "won" for certain. Attractive car and love the carbon but that was surprising to me given the other cars in the market and this car only having carbon.

@SteveVT if the market is going to act like this you are going to definitely feel like a big winner (no joking/sarcasm) because to me personally, modulars and shields are way more valuable/attractive than the carbon package.

Maranello993 and SteveVT like this.
  7. Maranello993

Maranello993 Rookie

May 24, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Angelo McCartney
    I backed out of that bid when it started to run up like that. He did tell me I would get the luggage and luggage covers if I won it, which did eventually come out in the comment section, which I think raised the price. I did notice a couple blemishes that showed up in the last 3 years vs the original listing that disappointed me.

8. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually, on this particular 575 the seller claimed to have spent $17K+ in on a 30k service 1,500 miles prior (see photo # 183), but he provided no photo of invoices or receipts for the work. Looked like decent car in any case, and any 30K Ferrari is not going to be cosmetically perfectly, but if well-kept probably nice enough.

Maranellos sure seem to be back on an upswing these days, after several years of declining values. BaT does make it easy to track and see what the cars are actually selling for, unlike dealer sites or private sales where you don't know for certain. Like it or not, this gives as clear of pricing signals to the market as you can get, and I suspect that "private market" asking prices will start to rise in line withe the rise in asking prices on dealer sites and what we see these cars selling for on BaT.

It seems to me this general price rise happened almost unnoticed in a rather short period of time, over this past summer and early fall. Only time will tell how far things continue to go. I suspect we'll see more Maranellos will come on the market as sellers try to take advantage of rising market values. At some point supply will outstrip demand and the cycle stall out, as it always does. These are Ferraris, after all, with all the cyclic market fickleness that goes with it.

Regardless, I would personally not buy a $100K+ car (or anywhere close to it) without seeing/driving the car in person, or at the very least having someone I really trust do it for me. Photos can never show everything and there are too many potential "surprises" that can happen otherwise. BaT's standard 7-day auctions make it awfully hard to do this, regardless of documentation, amount of high quality photos, videos, etc. that are offered by sellers.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #84 Ferrari55whoa, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    @NE550 Dave, I must have missed it because I didn’t see in the auction or sellers comments how the seller spent hardly any money on maintenance. Plus old tires and a needed major belt service? The guy before this guy back in 2014-2016 looks like he spent some serious coin.

I agree with your points on not buying without seeing or putting your hands on it. I get how @SteveVT did that since he is in a market with perhaps very few Maranello’s trading (perhaps similar to Omaha)....I’m from iowa originally and don’t know how many 550/575’s we have there (can’t be many).

2 of the 4 cars I bought historically sight unseen were cars that were effectively 1 of 1 and not that expensive compared to a 550/575.

To expand on your point....who in their right mind would buy the Blu TdF 550 on BaT right now without a PPI? I bid $65 and was glad the other guy took me out at $70.

10. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Assuming good prior maintenance with good records, I would always advise buying a Maranello that has been driven, so has some miles on it. You can have the low mile garage queens that are never driven. They'll always need the most work to get them running properly. Makes zero sense to have a car like that and let the damn thing sit while pouring money in it to maintain it (or not, and many of these owners don't), and it deteriorates anyway just sitting there. Electrolysis is a beotch. Maranellos do not take well to sitting un-driven for long periods of time.

There are 3 550s in NE currently that I know of (2 in Omaha, 1 in Lincoln). No idea about what's in IA. Don't know about 575s...have not seen or heard of any around here. These cars are scarce on the street anywhere, you just don't see them often.

Unless one is lucky, pretty much gonna be going well outside of local area here to find a Maranello. Bought mine in Atlanta, after looking at 7 different 550s over about 4 months. Guy in Lincoln (who is an F Chatter) acquired his last summer in Chicago. As he plans to drive his regularly, I'm looking forward to having a 550 buddy to hang with at Saturday C&Cs.

11. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    You needed to see this one in person. Thi
    You needed to see this one in person. It didn’t reflect the price it sold for, just the pour paint work itself gives me the impression the new owner never did a ppi or viewed the car in person.

12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Whoever bought this car saw a lot of reasonable Q&A during the auction to draw out the questions so they knew they were getting.

SOLD $97,000 on 12/31/20 to a guy building a COVID collection buying 4 other cars on BaT recently.
    +) 550 Ser no. 116105
    +) 1999 MY with 37k miles
    +) Blu TdF over tan (new interior per the seller) the original interior was different color (blue carpets & steering wheel)
    +) Daytona style seats and shields
    +) Historical SEMA car with black wrap & holes drilled in trunklid for historic wing, some repaint when wrap removed
    +) NOT CA Smog compliant, historical valve job, a 30k mile service was noted to be performed, potential suspension issues (minimally a sensor), not well fitting front end; no security paper w/pin and only 1 cloned black fob.
    +) Playa Del Ray, CA (SoCal)
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-550-maranello-10/
    +) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/anyone-know-the-owner-of-550-s-n-116105.190226/
    +) Disclosure: I love TdF and bid $65,550 but was glad to be taken out as this car really needs a full PPI to see if it had accident damage not on the carfax given the front bumper situation. Hard to value this one in my mind given all the issues but for sure a "reasonable" price was way lower than the hammer.

SteveVT and F456M like this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree, the price it sold for was quite a lot. Do you compare a 22 yrs old car to a brand new one (550)? Don’t forget that these are cars meant to be driven and enjoyed, and some wear must be expected.

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not at all opposed to high miles, most of my collection are "race vehicles" which I don't keep pretty or "factory correct" in anyway so moving away from perfect doesn't offend me at all. High miles with maintenance also isn't scary. This TdF car specifically seems like crazy money given the condition and background and if it had 2 bad valves what else could have happened to that engine. I've done one engine rebuild that I considered expensive and I would prefer to not "pay that tuition" again.......

15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I understand. A valve job usually means you do all valves at the same time while you have it apart. And agree with you about the price. But after a few years reading all response to advertizements here and there, it looks like a good 550 must be like new. I think it is pretty unfair. Which other cars look like brand new when they are 20 years old...?! Some patina is more «correct» and shows a caring owner more than a pristine / like new car that might have had lots of work done to it. Some cars are of course «new» by the fact that they have 10.000 miles and can be considdered a real treasure. But then, what is needed to make it work? What about all seals etc..? I am used to cars that are used and work well. That is fine with me.

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @F456M I haven't commented on this one yet (typically post after they end)....is this one basically new? Amazing only has 2k miles on it!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ferrari-575m-maranello-2/

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    it is an absolute unicorn of a car and probably in excellent like new condition. Should fetch some good 575 money. What I meant is that there is nothing seriously wrong when there are several categories of conditions on the same car model. This enable different types of buyers getting their dream car at various price levels. I just can’t say that a car is a piece of junk or mistreated even if it has some wear her nd there. Look at the quality of these cars. The Ferraris of the 60-ies was not near as good when they were 20 years old in the 80-ies...

18. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Mine is an 05 with 23k and like new, inside/out. This one should be pristine. I do wonder about seals , Etc. I know I can take mine cross country without hesitation. That one fit the “collector” mold. Shame. Meant to be driven- but each to his own

F456M likes this.
  19. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Does anyone know is this is a reasonable figure or if anyone in the UK does it? I wanted a 550, but the 575s seem more unloved currently (and hence attractive!).

F456M likes this.
  20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I recall a thread where @Soren was going to potentially list his process/parts-list so that people could embark on a similar journey?

21. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    @brogenville (Robin) has sucessfully converted his 612 to manual. That's more complex than a 575M. He's in Scotland. Between him and @360trev (he's produced the software to reflash the necessary ECU's) they've got it sorted.

Here's his thread:- https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/a-gearstick-where-once-there-was-none.615514/

We've discussed the realistic possibility of me buying a 575 and him converting it and what it would cost. The final cost is somewhat subject to a few NLA parts that Robin was going to get fabricated so it's a little elastic. We did however arrive at a realistic target at which to aim that we both thought was realistic.

Between us we figured £20K would be realistic, but this would also include a lot of "whilst you're in there you may as well" items. It would make sense to replace the clutch with everything out, also I'd upgrade all compenents available to Hill Engineering items whilst it was all dismantled.

It could probably be done for less if you were mechanically minded and able to take things on yourself. I'm not and I'd be paying Robin for his time and expertise.

I haven't completely discounted this as a possibility, but the appropriate 575 needs to be £20K less than the similar 550 for it all to make sense.

Not much makes sense in the world right now so it's all on the back burner.

brogenville likes this.
  22. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The excitement over at BaT continues......TWO THOUSAND MILE 575 F1.....

RESERVE NOT MET!!! Rosso Corso over nero $129,000 on 1/5/21
    +) 575 F1 Ser no. 139933
    +) 2005 MY with 2,253 miles
    +) Shields, daytona's, leather shelf
    +) Belt service said to be done November 2020
    +) Springfield, MO dealer -- I thought this one had come from Marshall Goldman previously?
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ferrari-575m-maranello-2/
    +) No posts here on the car that I could find

SELLER NOTED RESERVE WAS $135k.....not sure how the guys here feel about that for a museum piece? I acknowledge this is a hard one to put a number on for a collector because there are a lot of low mile cars but 2k is really low?

23. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    From what I’ve seen, it’s tough to get a good 550 for less than £100k currently, but there are some £80k 575s which look decent.

It could also be fun to have an F1 car for a year or so and then convert it. Then you have the experience of two cars for the price of one ;-)

24. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    These are my personal musings on the subject.

It needs to be a sub £60K 575M to make any sense to me as a conversion. TO that end I'd be happy with something missing history etc.

A converted car won't be a readily saleable asset should you wish to move it on, it's going to need to be an enthusiast that doesn't care for provenance. Realistically you're converting to keep the car as a forever car as an alternative to a 550.

I've been looking long enough that I see the same cars going around. I noticed this one back on the market today:-

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1299518 - £75,000

It was sold on Collecting Cars 8th May this year for £54,000 and bought by Justin Banks (dealer). It dissapeared for while and looks like it's been traded out.

This link may still works as it's been removed from CC archives which is something they often do for trade sales so the sale history isn't traceable.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2002-ferrari-575m-maranello

This car is lovely, I drove it in 2018 when it was for sale at Meridian Modena, I offered £90K for it at the time and was knocked back. It's been going through dealers since. It did go through an Auction last year and made a high bid of £59,000 - no sale. So it's popped up at another dealer:-

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1278893

If you're budget is £80k I highly suggest you take a look it this one, it drove beautifully.

25. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its a strange interesting market on the 550. Lots of weird stuff going on there. I hadn't asked the question here of the wider forum, just a few select guys via PM but I would use the Reno EURO 550 as an example.

Interesting car, resale red, carbon, shields.....that car has an asking at $119 and has literally bounced between dealers for almost 5 years.....There are people that still think they will hold on to the higher value regardless of what the price to clear the market really is.

BaT has created an artificially inflated market where the very wealthy will buy without PPI as they build collections. Its a real sign of us approaching the peak of the stock market as people are putting money in hard assets. I also fall in that category, I'm holding cash and since covid started I increased my personal physical gold holdings.

Anyone here that has experience or wants to tell me/us why this Reno EURO 550 hasn't sold, I'm interested in the education.

Other than deferred maintenance and the issue of Euro ECU's this car seems odd/interesting to me. FULL DISCLOSURE I haven't called the dealer to ask......

Justin's thread....car had 26,883 miles on 8/30/2016
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1997-550-maranello-euro-spec-car-imported.531396/#post-144900588

Another thread for when it was in Florida? 26,897 miles on 5/25/2017
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1997-ferrari-550-maranello.552889/

Car was then auctioned at Russo & Steele and went to a dealer in Michigan

And a link for it currently for sale in Reno.....doesn't look like the hood closes correctly or the gap is large.
    Has 27,515 miles not sure when or how it got to Reno.

https://www.coolclassicsinternational.com/vdp/13834927/Used-1997-Ferrari-550-Maranello-Coupe-for-sale-in-Reno-NV-89502