How much attention does a TR get? | FerrariChat

How much attention does a TR get?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Threeofnine, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    I’ve still not decided what I’m going to ultimately get but the Testarossa has been my dream car since about the 4th grade. My wife, however, seems to prefer something a little newer like the Lamborghini Gallardo.

I just had a Gallardo for a half a day test drive and I was a little surprised by the attention it got. I was expecting it to be a head turner but it was a bit more than my expectations. I am in a small southern city where exotic cars are nearly nonexistent. I couldn’t stop anywhere without a crowd of people forming around the car, people randomly taking photos of me on the road etc. It wasn’t horrible, most of the encounters were cool, but I might would prefer something just a little less conspicuous.

With the Testarossa being so classic, and the design out of date with the younger crowd, does it still grab a ton of attention?

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I still get attention when I go places. I went on a trip with mine and had people hanging out of car windows taking pictures. It gets a fair amount of attention and people seem to love it. The attention at time can be a bit much for me at times

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The wide rear and the side grates will always get attention ..new and old

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Modulo_B, VAF84 and Threeofnine like this.
  4. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Comparing Gallardo vs Testarossa is somewhat unusual to me.

The Testarossa gets almost exclusively positive "thumbs-up" attention these days. It's considered a classic respectively "The Classic".

A Gallardo driver is considered nouveau riche (best case) or highly leveraged (usual case). No petrol head would want to be seen driving a Gallardo where I live (Switzerland).

Two totally different kinds of attention IMHO. Likely different depreciation as well.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    since i seem to be the only person to drive my 512tr on a regular basis, it is always treated like a space ship landing.

sixcarbs, G8TD, Face76 and 10 others like this.
  6. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Best description ever

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Funny you should say that.... had a fellow approach me with that very statement!

8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Wife and I are in our 30's. She's pretty ambivalent to cars in general (doesn't even care what she drives), even though she's been to FCA events and car shows with me. Yet the only car she was interested in when I was asking her thoughts about all the cars at Josh's shop that day was the Testarossa. This over a Countach, 599, 458, F430 that were all there; and she's been exposed to Lambo's, Porsche's, and new Ferrari's. She said it was her favorite out of the bunch, and it stood out to her. So, I'd say that's another point for "more likely to be noticed" (albeit favorably).

On a side note, I can relate trying to be less conspicuous in the small towns. I'm in a similar situation right now. However, sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good, and remember that the vast majority excited to experience seeing one on the road. Before Austin became what it is now, it was a rarity to see exotics. I'd get so excited when I saw one in person. During trips to the bigger cities like Houston, I always looked forward to seeing all the cool cars. I remember being that guy snapping pictures of a Lambo on my trip to Miami one night. He pulled up next to us at a light, and I couldn't pull my camera out fast enough. Still have that pic too, lol. So even though I hate the attention, every time I start to complain about it, I try to remember my younger self and the excitement I felt at catching a glimpse of one of my dream cars.

9. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I used to drive my Testarossa and 550 from the region to downtown Chicago all summer long. The TR got some attention from the occasional cougar and mostly older men who love it LOL. For some strange reason the Maranello got a lot of looks from the gals my age (I'm in my 30s). I always found that very strange. I blame it on the large fender shields and classic look. (most big city girls are brand whores)

On a lighter note, I bought the TR for me, and could care less if it gets attention or not. I fell out of love with the 550, and sold it. But man it was a pretty car.

VAF84, flash32 and Threeofnine like this.
  10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I think the crowd you'd attract in a Testarossa will be a bit older. The "younger" people these day prefer the Hyper and more modern cars.

Parnelli and Threeofnine like this.
  11. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    You'd be surprised. I get a lot of young people liking it because people aren't used to seeing them.

sherrillt and ag512bbi like this.
  12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Agreed.. all newer cars seem to follow the same lines .. except some of the Lambo and of course the ultra high dollars like bugatti.. so the TR is somewhat unique

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Ok... makes sense and actually happy to hear that.
    I Barely get looks in my Daytona Spider, but get all sorts of looks in my F12.

14. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I'm not a fan of modern ferraris. They are cool and fast, but I like the older stuff. Same with lamborghinis. So if I saw a countach and a hurican, I would ignore the hurican. I'm 29 for reference. That's why I bought a Testarossa, I love the lines and how mechanical it is.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Strong statement coming from a 29 year old. You have an old sole. Good for you.
    It just seems the cars of the past are special.
    Too much new stuff out there.

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Pearls before swine...

17. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Yea, I mainly like older cars and I like the ability to work on them myself. Though I would drive a Ferrari FF/gtb4 lusso if I didn't have to buy it.
    I fell in love with Miami Vice and all things 80s, so my first car was an 87 mercedes diesel wagon, good starter vehicle.

If I had more money then maybe I would buy newer cars.

18. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Good for you!!

I'd love to have a TR, but went for my childhood dream first. The 308 GTS QV.
    Maybe a TR in the future.

02360spider likes this.
  19. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    The tr to me is a amazing car I'm 38 now and always wanted a tr problem is I don't know if I can afford the maintenance.i purchased a 360 Modena instead.i was recently in the shop with my car and they had a TR in the shop and man she looked amazing.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

20. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Maintenance on a well sorted TR is 4-6k$ every 5-7 years for engine out service to do the belts.

Additionally oil and filter changes as well as the odd random issue just like on any other car.

If you're technically minded this forum provides all the necessary input to help you understand if a TR is well sorted.

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    So why do I hear so many people spending 10k to 15k on there services?

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

22. Threeofnine

Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Every shop I’ve got a quote with has said $9-11k for the engine out service. Could you recommend a shop? Perhaps it would be cheaper to ship the car to them assuming I proceed with the purchase. Another thing, I’m having trouble finding anyone willing to do a PPI. Ferrari dealership and a couple of Ferrari experienced independent shops all say they won’t do one for liability reasons

23. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    The difference is for sorting out a 30 year old car. Very similar to other cars of the 70s and 80s.

Being technically inclined helps to keep that amount small. There are a lot of standard parts on the car e.g. from Bosch which are not very costly.

24. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Ferrari-Testarossa-512-TR-512-M-BB-Zahnriemenwechsel-Zahnriemen-Einbaul-/193141954816

Shop has a very good reputation.

;) Let me know if I should help with shipping...

25. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Because a lot of stuff is done/invoiced that doesn't need to be done/invoiced (on a car that hasn't previously been messed with).