355 - CA smog how to | FerrariChat

355 CA smog how to

Discussion in '348/355' started by mcomet, Jan 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    So I am mulling a 355 but am in Cali. My understanding is I would need OEM cats to pass. Which seem tricky to find perhaps. Is that correct? What do people do with aftermarket setup? Swap every so often?

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I'm wondering the same thing. I live in Denver, which has the same smog regulations as California. Every car I look at has aftermarket catless exhaust, which means they have no chance of being registered in my area or in CA without the original exhaust components.

Are there OEM or after market cats available? OEM mufflers too? Any dismantlers that would have these items?

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    When I used to have Hyperflows on my 355, yup, they get swapped every two years to stock Ferrari cats, and then swapped back. You can find stock OEM cats used for $1,000 ish.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Without OE componants you will fail the visual inspection for cali. You also have to have all smog monitors set to test except maybe Evap. Many old OE cats off cars are off because they have failed. They were not made well. On 355's especially mixture control was is an issue. Some sys the OE headers have all the blame. Some say it is combo of OE header quality made worse by mixture control. So we see lots of aftermarket cats and aftermarket headers just to make the car run decent after being sorted. You won't get those cars past cali smog. Also in general you have more difficulty passing smog on cars that need to run on dyno. If you have a 2000+ year car for BAR-OIS you can just plug into obd2 port and pass. If monitors are set and no codes it is an easy pass with BAR-OIS.

5. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    It's important to note that SMOG shops are of variable quality. The 355 I bought in CA had hyperflows on (I didn't realize what I was buying at the time), but it passed smog as the shop wasn't that thorough. Technically a shop should fail you for headers and cats if they aren't OEM or have CARB EO Stamps on them, however I've never been to one that will. Pick your battles and choose your shop wisely.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Cats I understand, but why would headers matter? They don't do anything for emissions, do they?

albert328gts likes this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They do affect emission if there is a hole, or two, in them.

FERRARI-TECH likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Do after-market 100 or 200 cell pass CA smog?

9. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    Thanks. So basically would need to find OE functional headers and cats to pass visual Thanks.

GTUnit likes this.
  10. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    CARB regulates everything related to fuel -> what's inside your block -> what comes out just after the cats. Technically you need OEM or arftermarket CARB certified parts for all of that.

CARB shouldn't be thought of as emissions, it should be thought of as a government agency. Standard setting, part certifications, fee collectors, then they outsource enforcement, which is why it's so spotty.

@ShineKen - I've passed on 200's well in spec
    @mcomet - technically yes, but how many shops are intimately familiar with an F355? I remember taking half an hour at the shop because my car didn't have the CATALYST sticker that outlines the emissions flow (wasn't an original CA car). I had to tell them what was going on and in their book what code to use because they didn't recognize the car at all. You pick your battles.

mcomet and ShineKen like this.
  11. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Wow. Here in Colorado the same requirements as CA are imposed with regards to which years have to be tested and the frequency, but the only thing the techs do is check for cats and O2 sensor, then put the car on a dyno if the wheel base allows. If not, just an OBD scan and/or tailpipe sniff test. They don't care, and wouldn't know, if the cats are aftermarket or not. I used to drive 80's Porsche 911s, which are 100 times more common than a Ferrari around here, and half the time I had to show them where the cat and O2 sensor is because they couldn't find them even with a mirror. Colorado uses state-run emissions testing centers only, and they're all staffed by clueless state employees who are only familiar with common everyday cars. Ferraris are so rare here that I doubt if any of the techs could even recognize a header if they were staring at it. They only verify the emissions equipment originally equipped. If you have something resembling a cat, and an O2 sensor, you pass the visual.

12. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I register my post 1975 sports cars as historical vehicles in CA. They don’t require a smog. I just give some cock and bull story why it’s historical and you get historical vehicle plates.

13. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    Well in CA 1974 and earlier don't require smog...

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    200 may pass with a restrictive exhaust that keep the cats hot enough, 100 cell or 200 with a free flow exhaust most likely no pass. I tried about every combo.

Happy New Year !!!!!

ShineKen likes this.
  15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's actually cars manufactured in 1975 or earlier. So, if your car was manufactured in November 1975 for the model year 1976, you are still exempt.

randkin and mcomet like this.
  16. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    Ha yes sorry you are correct. I was thinking 1974 as that was the year car my friend owned.

17. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Is there a way to register, say, a late 90's sports car in this manner?

18. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    SB100, the kit car exemption, with a large amount of creativity.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I registered my 86 911 Turbo as historical so I’d imagine the 90’s isn’t impossible.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's possible for a Ferrari to be registered as an Historical vehicle if it is 25 years or older. But, it still needs to pass smog if it is 76 or later year.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    In CT we also have CA emissions requirements until the car is 25 years old. I have to have my 95 sniff tested until last year. Never had a problem with 100 cell cats; 3 tests since I got the car. In fact, when I got the car it dam near passed with 1 empty OE cats and one OE cat that was disintegrating. Stock header and Tubi muffler.

ShineKen likes this.
  22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes, highly insulated so cats light off faster.

23. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Does some sell "OEM Original" metal tags? :>)

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You want to end up in jail?

mcomet likes this.
  25. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Its very important to pass the first time. If the car is rough they can brand it as a "gross pulluter" and then you have a whole other layer of bureaucratic bs to wade through. Make sure you choose a shop that is casual with the visual part but make SURE the car will pass the sniffer.

randkin likes this.