Which would you choose? Why? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which would you choose? Why?

Discussion in '360/430' started by F612, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I did write "Most".. but I've been an owner long enough that even when you write above I think "uh huh.. he thinks he drives better than he does.." With the 488 and even the 430 to some extent it's the drivers taking the car BEYOND what the nannies can control that leads to the usual copart wreck. Nannies help owners think they're better than they really are. Which with the 430s e-diff applies in a slide. Any 30 year old in a Golf-R with a chip has a very good chance of spanking the "average" Ferrari owner on a curvy road. I know I include myself as an idiot driver but I know I'm not that good, even if the 360 only has launch control. Which if someone actually drives past, really has to learn what reckless isn't. If someone can get Lloyds of london to INSURE them as a stunt driver.. then I'll believe a driver is as good as they think they are. :)

2. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Cold tires and street limits are what causes the co part inventory. The driving tech in newer cars helps a good driver be great but not a bad driver be good. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Danedingerson likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Given ur situation the 430 seems the best choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I’m going for a non black, non red 430 spider. F1, 2008 or newer.
    Miles not a big issue.
    Actually, for a driver, 20K+ has Probably been fully sorted.

5. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Some advice I've seen on here that I thought was good was to pick one out of Spider or F1 rather than getting both to reduce your exposure to headache-prone systems.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    All of us think we are better drivers than we are! Almost of us anyway. And it’s true that the E diff makes you feel like a hero when you’re not entitled to. But I have a F512M to keep me honest in that respect – no nannies at all

Still in the absence of any further evidence, I would object to your original reference to “Someone who knows how to squeeze their 360 versus a 458 driver who usually can’t”...By that logic the slower the car the better the driver!

it’s horses for courses, and it’s true that some very fast cars these days are no fun on the road because they are so within their capability envelopes. But I don’t think that applies to the 360/430 distinction

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Which is your fave front engined V12 ?
    Sell the other and put it and the savings towards a 360CS or 430 Scud.
    Two extremes in modern road car Ferrari ownership.
    The best of both worlds.

8. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    A fantastic story to start off 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    I would definitely favor the F430. I had a 360 F1 Spider and felt it was quite primitive by comparison. Acceleration wasn't that impressive and the steel brakes were not great. I also had a 430 F1 Spider and that was a real step up I'm performance. Granted (to me), the F430 looks blocky compared to the 360 but the blockiness also looks more aggressive/menacing. As said previously, a big step up interns of technology also.

10. nhb

nhb Rookie

Feb 19, 2017
    NY
    i had a 360 spider that i traded to a 430 spider in their day. Both F1s. I thought the 430 was a far superior car. the degree of difference surprised me. i found it much more driveable. To say that one is faster than the other is irrelevant in the real world unless you plan to track it.

11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Yes exactly. Every time I've gone to the track I take my 911. It is faster, more reliable, and less cost if it breaks. I've taken my 360 to the track exactly zero times. All the other cars at the track tend to be Corvettes, 911s, etc., other cars that are reliable when flogged hard and cheap to maintain.

When I take my 360 for a nice mountain drive or whatever, I'm well within it's performance capability. Every other 360/F430 or similar exotic I've ever seen in real life was being driven in a similarly non-extreme manner.

You would think based on internet comments that there's a multitude of F430 drivers tracking or otherwise driving their car to the absolute ragged edge and the 360's performance simply could not keep up but those with this driving style seem conspicuously absent in real life.

In fact, at the rate that the F1 transmission's idiotic computer would burn through clutches if driven consistently like that, it would probably be cheaper for these drivers to upgrade to a 458 or newer car with a DCT.

KC360 FL likes this.
  12. Tonyguns77

Tonyguns77 Rookie

Jul 19, 2015
    Highlands Ranch Colo
    Full Name:
    Troy Ferguson
    Price point the 360 is a ton of car for the money, mines a F-1 and never really apricated it until I started taking it to the track and having the ability to flick to the next gear change and pay more attention to keeping speed through the corners is an absolute blast! I would like to "upgrade" to a 430 but having my car 7 years and now at 52k miles for what its going to cost is there really that much more value? These cars are so great, still to this day checks all the boxes! (plus tubi exhaust and no cats add to the experience)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. khurley

khurley Rookie

Aug 31, 2004
    Berkeley CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hurley
    I've had my 2006 F430 Spyder for about 5 years now. It was a big step up from my 308. It has the F1 transmission, which is hard on clutches. They say to expect 20,000 miles at most, and that's if you treat it gently. I'm at 17K miles and looking at an expensive replacement in the near future. But I love the car and use it as my daily driver (when I'm not in my Corvette). Go for it!

14. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    I think the first question you need to ask yourself is do you want a Manual or F1 box.
    Both are completely different driving experiences. I personally have a 360 Manual Spider and absolutely love it. The 6 speed box is one of the best I have driven.
    If you decide on a manual then the 360 is the way to go as a manual 430 would be ridiculously over priced due to its rarity (very few ever sold due to lack of popularity) and you will loose allot of the tech that the 430 has for its F1 option.
    In turn the 360 F1 is ok but no where near as good as the 430.

catdog and Dewinator like this.
  15. Jim Moscardini

Oct 8, 2020
    Gainesville, VA USA
    Full Name:
    Jim Moscardini
    I know you all will want to clobber me just for asking this question, but ....

Does the 430 have Cruise Control?

Or might I actually have to upgrade to a 458 for a long cross country driver?

16. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    ^^^^ No cruise control in the 430, but I haven’t found myself needing it. Although my longest drive has only been 400 miles....

17. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    Hello Rob,

Are you saying you bought a 2009 F430 Spider? If so when did you buy it, what color is it, and is it a gated Manual or an F1 vehicle? 2009 F430's are very rare and there are few out there. I bought my 2009 F430 Spider in January of 2017 in Salt Lake City Utah it's Rossa red with a tan interior.

Thanks,

John aka johnfe

18. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi John,

I bought an 09 F1 Berlinetta in Rosso Scuderia with tan leather in Portugal. It was one of the last to come in. Love it!

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    Hi Rob,

Correction, 4 years ago on this very day I meant to say, was when I flew to Salt Lake City and bought her. Sorry about the double posting of pictures I don't know what I'm doing as far as the correct way to post photos.
    I still haven't put even a thousand miles on her. This morning I'm taking her out to do a Drive Cycle for California smog certificate.
    Best Regards,
    John

20. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Beautiful car! Happy anniversary John!

21. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I would go for the F430. The F1 still feels raw and fun. Also, nice fish in your bio photo! What kind of fish is that?

22. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Redfish.caught within sight of downtown Charleston.