430 - new tires | FerrariChat

430 new tires

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dbops618, Dec 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    I OWN A 2009 F430, THE CAR HAS 3,919 MILES. THE TIRES ARE ORIGINAL AND HAVE A BUILT DATE OF 2007. I ASSUME I NEED NEW TIRES, DO I REPLACE THEM WITH THE EXACT BRAND/MODEL OR ARE THERE BETTER ONES?

2. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Search button

f355spider likes this.
  3. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Yikes. You must be sliding all over the place on those hockey pucks of tires. Can't go wrong with original spec but I chose Continental ExtremeContact Sport.

4. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Michelin PS4

5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Depends, are you keeping it as a "concours" car? Then yes, you need to get the same model and brand if possible. Otherwise get the PS4. They are an amazing tire for the street. Do not drive your car much, if at all ,with tires from 2009 or earlier. There was a very nasty 360 accident this summer on the way to a Cars and Coffee in NJ because of old tires. Don't risk it, a set should be about $1300 installed. I know I am changing my 6 year old tires on my 2009 in the next week or so and those tires are already sliding everywhere because the compound is too old.

EZORED likes this.
  6. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    thank you

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    PS4 indeed, put them on all my Ferraris & Porsches

Ray Smith likes this.
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    No not the PS4. That’s a family car tyre. PS4S. That’s the best high speed all round tyre on the market and probably the best ever made. PS4Ss transformed my Ferraris over the P Zeros previously.

360trev, Ray Smith and Skidkid like this.
  9. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    whats the price difference just curious

10. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    This

Ray Smith likes this.
  11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Michelin Cup 2...especially since you are not worried about tire wear.....

12. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Better dry grip with trade-offs being tyre life, wet grip and noise/comfort. Also longer to heat up over PS4S. Better suited for track imo.

360trev, Ira Schwartz and Ray Smith like this.
  13. Yesitsfast

Yesitsfast Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    My ‘08 spider riding in Bridgestones. Just put
    on full set of PS 4S Michelin shows. Like night and day your gonna luv it. Make sure to get the wheels aligned also since your getting new shoes

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. An alternative might be Continental Extreme Contact Sport. Slightly less money and slightly longer wear rated.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Sj_engr and honda corse like this.
  15. Blackfspider

Blackfspider Rookie

Dec 6, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    D
    What pressures are people running the PS4S on the F430s? I’m using 32 PSI all round.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I started mine at 34, corrected to 33 which felt surprisingly significantly better balanced, less nervous. Seems perfect to me, but Interesting you are running at 32, I will have to try that.

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    if I lived in a hot dry climate I would definitely try these! But here I often take the car out on sunny spring or autumn days when it’s pretty chilly, and feel they would be tough to heat up, what do you think?

18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have the Pirelli P zeros on my 2007 spider. Not horrible, but I have the PS4S on my AMG E63. That’s a super tire. Will definitely put them on my 430 when these Pirelli’s burn out

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Themaven likes this.
  19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm still using the older Pirelli P Zero Corsa...I'd like to upgrade to the Michelin Cup2 as used on all the newer Ferraris, but they are not available in the appropriate sizes for my 430 Scuderia. In the mild winters here in the Pacific NW, I have not had any issues, but I don't drive that aggressively in winter (and adjust the settings on the manettino accordingly), knowing the limits of the tires in colder weather.

The recommendation is based on the OP rarely driving the car, and obviously in fair weather, so why not get the ultimate in available performance and grip? Sure PS4 is an excellent tire, and a great choice as well.

Manda racing and Themaven like this.
  20. Blackfspider

Blackfspider Rookie

Dec 6, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    D
    Ambient temp here 30 degrees centigrade. Could be that. Am going to try 33psi today.

Themaven likes this.
  21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've tried both MP4S and Cup 2s.

Here is my verdict for those interested in a direct comparison without any vested interests.

First thing to note is Cup 2s tend to be priced higher.
    Second thing is its difficult to find this information but the brand new "Tread Depth" is about 50% less on a Cup 2 tire than a 4S, so not only are you getting less wear from Cup 2 due to even sticker more wearable compound its also much less to begin with.

Cup 2s are primarily focused on achieving best circuit times for magazines to publish, they are optimized for dry warm weather when you have the tire up to temperature. They have barely any water channeling features so are sketchy at best when cold and wet. You really have to be careful!

4S are on the otherhand an evolution of Michelin Pilot Super sports tires of a few years ago and are a big step up on their already mighty performance (the older supersports where already considerably better than stock tires). 4S blow them out of the water! Better in every measureable way.

The first thing you noticed about the 4S over the Cup 2 is the ride quality is extremely good on a 4S, waay better than Supersport had. Feels like a different car. So if ride quality is an important attribute you cannot go far wrong with 4S.

Another attribute I prefer over Cup 2s is the break away from grip to slip. It's easier to balance with throttle when your on the limit or traction and you can hear the tire chirping whereas on Cup 2s you have grip, grip, grip, no grip. It's very sudden the break away whereas that point of breaking traction is about 10% higher. Is that 10% extra grip really worth the higher price, much more frequent changes of tire, wet or cold weather compromises and harder to manage control on the limit?

Personally I don't think so but it really does depend on if you want to use your car more frequently on the track. In that situation I would just fit racing slicks and dial in more camber to take advantage of them but there you go.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

CAV 430 and Manda racing like this.
  22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Trev, interesting, thanks. What about the handling between the two, within the limit? Is turn in and feel better on the Cups, do they feel sharper and harder in the sidewall? And would they skip or trip over the uneven surfaces we have in this country, throw the car out of kilter over a mid=bend lump or hole?
    I know what you mean about the ride. Big improvement over the P Zeros on all the cars I have fitted them to.
    I don’t drive at edge of the car’s limits very often, but do drive enthusiastically. I would be interested to know if the Cups are better within that envelope, aside from the wet weather limitations, I tend not to drive the 430 spider in rain too much.

23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    PS4 9.5/32" versus Cup2 7.2/32" less, but not half tread depth

24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The Cup 2 tread depth can vary from 4.5mm to 6.5mm (11/64" to 1/4") based on application. The PS4 is 9.5mm so it can infact be 50% different in depth. The tires I tried where and I doubled checked the measurements.

The Mind boggles that a brand new tire can be 4.5mm when road legal depth is 3mm (in UK) so you actually only have in worst scenario only 1.5mm of depth to wear out which is absolutely nothing

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I personally prefer progressive feeling of 4S over the Cup 2 and actually swapped out my Cup 2s for 4S on my Mclaren (I also run 4S on my pretty hardcore Ferrari). The tire sidewall is extremely strong on 4S and also mine has a rim protector built in. There is a slightly sharper feel on Cup but really you have to be really "on" your tire temps and pressures to really benefit.

There are now even more aggressive Cup 2R tires too but to be honest 99% of people will get more value and more importantly enjoyment out of the 4S vs the more compromized variants. I really think 4S is so good you don't need much more unless your doing times for magazines. Or just to say you have the best. I love driving fast but I found the 4S amazing in both wet and dry. What a tire!

Manda racing and Themaven like this.