New Tires | FerrariChat

New Tires

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Jan 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Currently, I have a 2017 California T HS that I am looking at getting new tires for. Any recommendations?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    McG...Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. K2 spec.
    I have 4K miles and a year on mine, and am very happy w/ them.

Make sure to get an alignment and balance when you put on the new tires, as that will also make a diff depending on how long since it was last done on your T...T

3. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tom is correct. I recently replaced my original equipment Bridgestone's on my Cali T. HUGE improvement! Been running Michelins on 4 Different Vipers over the last 25 years. Excellent in all conditions except extremely cold temperatures .and reasonable tread life 18-20K miles. $1300-1400 well spent!

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can either go with the K2 Porto spec, but you could also go with "General Purpose" MPS4S. I think the latter is a bit better as they are a bit more neutral. My Porto came with Pirellis, so we slapped a set of non-OE MPS4S on it, and I prefer them to the K2. I don't care for the narrow tread of the K2 variant fronts, too much understeer. The K2 MPS4S is still better than any MPSS, but the non-OE MPS4S in the Cali size, actually works even better.

jblakesmith_gt and tomc like this.
  5. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks for all the advice on this guys! Did you take them to the dealership to get installed?

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    In my case it was done at the dealer, but I prefer to let my local speed shop do it as they are better at it. Your dealer is no guarantee for the best result.

tomc and russellmcg like this.
  7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Order from Tire Rack, drop ship to dealer, they do the install.
    That's what I do...T

Nospinzone and russellmcg like this.
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would second Il Co-Pilota that there is no problem not getting the K2 spec. I was one of the first to get the Pilot Sport 4S tires in March, 2017. At that time the K2 spec wasn't yet available, at least in my size (a 612 with 20" wheels). The tires went on at 24,400 and they are currently at 44,650. They will get replaced next spring. The tires are much better than the Pirellis I had on the car. Better handling, great on wet roads, quiet and much longer lasting.

jblakesmith_gt, Il Co-Pilota and tomc like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. It is worth stressing that K spec has absolutely nothing to do with quality or better compounds. It's all about changing the tyre so that it does what the car manufacture wants it to do. Unfortunately, more times than not, this is add understeer as a safety measure. Hence why I often like non-OE style tyres. The Porto especially seems to benefit from the added front bite, and so would a T.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Themaven, jblakesmith_gt and Makuono like this.