Just Picked Up My First Ferrari! 2014 Black on Black F12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just Picked Up My First Ferrari! 2014 Black on Black F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Will Motivation, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Great stuff Will. I'm also on the vinegar stroke of buying an F12 after lurking forever! Started thinking it was going to be 458, then 488... then worked out i have to get the daddy! Enjoy and pile on the miles!

Will Motivation likes this.
  2. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    I will for sure do this, but man... I'm turning into a Ferrari fanboy after owning this car for just a couple of weeks. It has a different feel to it. I sold my aventador, but truck has not come to pick it up... If all goes well in business, I'll grab a roadster in 2021, but yea this F12 is special...

ryalex likes this.
  3. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    I tend to agree with you. I think F12s below 20,000 miles will be quite the classics in the future...
    Thanks for the congrats, appreciate it.

LouisGuk likes this.
  4. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Big thanks! Appreciate it and loving this car...

5. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Thanks! I am unloading the aventador with the plan to get a roadster in 2021 if all goes well.

ryalex likes this.
  6. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Yea absolutely. I'll do a separate thread on this, but the short story is... I love the new interior. Everything about how it looks and feels and quality is great. The only downside was the price. I was quoted $6500ish and final bill was $10,000 for adding the little center console B cover and the panel behind the seats. I thought that was kind of extreme... But yea I'll do a thread about it.

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Yea get one... This car is awesome so far!

8. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Congratulations. I also bought my 2014 F12 in 2020. My first Ferrari and I love it too. Can't stop driving it.

I agree with you about 2020. We hear so much negativity on the news (that's mostly their job) and it's been tough for many. But some people have found ways to prosper despite the challenges - me included and hence the F12. As long as this has been achieved without exploiting those less fortunate, it should be celebrated - nothing wrong with that. People need to hear about the good, not just the bad. We will get out of this mess eventually.

Caeruleus11 and Will Motivation like this.
  9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

10. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Thank you!!

11. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    We definitely have similar positive outlooks my friend. Congrats on your F12. This car is awesome... I am trying to figure out how I can learn the car in a safe environment. I had a hellcat before, and I was able to learn the behavior of that beast pretty easily but its different when you have a $200,000+ car trying to learn its limits. I have yet to floor it not even once. I think I may have given it 60% throttle so far....

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Will, there are many driving schools, track activities you can do. That is the place to do it. Your local track may have days, and your local Ferrari dealer likely will have track days. There are driving schools and also the major marques offer this as well, including Ferrari

https://drivingcourses.ferrari.com/en/driving-course

The Ferrari Corsa Pilota is top top top top. Its not inexpensive, but, you will be driving the latest Ferraris!

Some advice for street driving- sorry if this is repetitive-

first, you should have the correct tires- so with your location I would expect you are on winter performance tires, and if not, then you have to drive extra carefully only when the roads are clear and its somewhat warm (defined as 50F and higher)

Second, learning the car, use the modes, as you are learning the throttle, so long as the tires are correct, try giving it more in wet mode, get used to it, then go to sport, and then race. Also don't go around thinking you are a hero- these cars really make you feel like one- if its raining out, use wet mode, don't go driving around in race, and pay attention to the tire temps, make sure they are properly warm-up before any hard driving. The theme here is it comes down to you and the tires. Congratulations again on achieving this dream! May you reach and surpass many more!!

13. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Man really awesome advice! I appreciate it, and I think I will take one of the driving courses. I feel like in this real wheel drive car, it would be the right thing to do. The Lamborghini's are much more tolerant to folks that want to hammer it at a whim because of the all wheel drive and very predictable behavior even on cold tires, but I have been very conservative in the F12 so far.

What have been your observations on the differences between sport mode and race mode? On a Lamborghini, race mode puts you into manual on the paddle shifters, speeds up shifts, reduces drifting and optimizes the traction control and stability to go fast on a track, whereas sport mode makes the car a bit more playful, more rear wheel bias, more burbles from the exhaust, etc.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    It took me a while to build up the courage to floor it. I would suggest starting down that path by getting to around 3,000 rpm in 3rd and then burying it from there. In the lower gears, just burying the foot from low revs sure is 'fun'. One thing is for sure, the ideal is to find a large enough area of tarmac where you can explore its limits by being a proper hooligan. That sort of space is tough to find and normally requires an airfield as tracks are often too restrictive for a car with this much grunt.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The Ferrari modes are very advanced. All the systems are connected and even some things you wouldn't even think about- for example, there are different engine maps for the modes! So its not just a more sensitive throttle, its also a different engine map.

Have a look at the Manettino screens on your car you will see something like this- showing levels, when you are parked try turning the Manettino with this screen on and you can see how everything is affected- here are some things to know:
    ●F1-Trac: traction control- this is a system Ferrari first used on the 599 GTB and it is a predictive traction control, some how it can predict whats about to happen and then it integrates with the e-diff, the ABS, and the traditional ESC system to help control the car. Adding this with the e-diff means you can really deploy the power nicely- so long as you have good grip with the tires.

● E-Diff: electronic differential - instead of a regular mechanical differential, the Ferraris are using this e-differential (first appeared on F430 F1) it doesnt wait for the inside rear tire to slip to apportion power to the desired (outside) tire- the computers can decide when to engage the differential. Its really impressive and it really works. It can also open the diff to enhance turn in.

● ABS: threshold of ABS activation

● ESC: stability and traction control - this is traditional style stability and traction control

● F1-DC: dual clutch F1 gearbox - how aggressive the shifts are

● SCM: magnetorheologically controlled suspension - how stiff are the dampers - one interesting observation - I dont know this but my observation is if I am in sport or race mode and I have pressed the bumpy road button which sets the dampers to a softer setting, if I drive more aggressively, it almost feels as if the car firms up the dampers until I am driving more gentle again. I don't know if it is doing this, but I would not be surprised.

The thing to know about Ferrari systems is they are designed to help you go faster. This is a big philosophical difference from some other companies where they are designed to keep you as safe as possible. This means, the Ferrari systems will actually let you slide the car, even in Wet mode! If you are smooth you can do it. Its why I say dont just put it in race- or even sport! if its raining and you feel like a hero- the car will give you plenty of rope with which to hang yourself. And also if you want to start exploring larger throttle openings, nothing wrong with starting out in wet mode so you'll get more system help and take your time to learn it.

16. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Excellent breakdown! Can't wait to learn more and get more seat time in this beast!
    Thanks Caeruleus

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not usually one who likes red interior, but I saw your video. You did a great job with just enough red. Looks great! It's sick!

18. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Thanks Eric!! Yea My first red interior actually and love it.

19. LouisGuk

LouisGuk Rookie

Dec 28, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Louis Greenaway
    ryalex and Will Motivation like this.
  20. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Congrats dude, beautiful spec!

LouisGuk likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know how I missed this thread. Congrats to both Louis and Will, and I wish you both good luck with your cars!

LouisGuk and Will Motivation like this.
  22. jsauce

jsauce Rookie

Aug 30, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Cordero
    Niiiooce!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouisGuk likes this.
  23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You’re going to put the Michelins on it now, right? ;)

LouisGuk likes this.
  24. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Congratulations and great job with the new interior selections!