Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap)

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Its a **** idea and a stupid thing to do to a good quality classic car.

Its a bit like taking a famous painting and getting your paints out to amend/modify it.......vandalism.

Next thing you know he'll probably add a gun rack and coloured neon lighting underneath

48969 and Jbrauer like this.
  2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Those jokers were going to crash that engine into the rear windshield. I am not going to watch anymore of that stupid ass stuff.

built2grind likes this.
  3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Likewise, as above its just another wannabe youtuber (only, sadly, with more money than sense!)

JLF, 2cam and built2grind like this.
  4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't have so much of a problem with the concept. You buy a car it's yours to do with as you please. However, by his own admission, the main reason a Ferrari 308 was chosen was to "piss people off" so in that regard it brings some pettiness to the build that I suppose is really just a YouTube thing. Everybody wants to be a star. Sigh...

2cam likes this.
  5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Instead of a non-Ferari engine swap, I'd prefer to send it to Aaron @ ATS up in Denton for a low-pressure turbo set up. It wouldn't generate 400HP, but it would be enough to make the car more entertaining and the mods would be much easier to reverse if desired.

2cam

oceanview328 and MFlanagan like this.
  6. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    As you say, its his, he is entitled to do what he likes with it.

Doesn't mean he's not an ignorant vandal though !

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know, you're giving him the reaction he seeks. Let's not feed the monster. It would be disappointing to him if nothing else was said about it.

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I got some negative reactions on the MG Experience forum when I took a MG midget and put a Suzuki Hayabusa motor in it. The long and short of it is I bought a car that was unwanted and made it into what I did want.

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    cool. Video or it never happened. :)

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    What he wants/needs is for people to click on his You Tube links & that's easily avoided. If he comes & reads this doubtless he will tell his disciples that he's upset the rich Ferrari Ass-hats. We'll probably survive that & it won't change the fact that he's still an ignorant vandal ! ;)

Its one thing to do something with a car that needs resuscitating but this one did not need anything like that, it was in great shape with low mileage & a strong history. Ergo, its vandalism on something as rare as this (IMO of course!)

JuLiTrO likes this.
  11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Thousands of posts build thread: https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-midget-forum.3/1973-midget-build.1645751/

And one of several youtube videos

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BJK likes this.
  12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Okay well, first of all I don't think anyone is ignorant enough to believe that guys who drive 40 year old 308's are rich Ferrari Ass-hats so let's dismiss that right off. Secondly I think this guy deserves a little more respect. Not saying that I agree with his path but the personal snipes and beard jokes, towards a guy you have no personal knowledge of are well... juvenile. Let's not go there.

13. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    We'd have to disagree on the first point, we've all had the abuse at one time or other.

Secondly, respect for what? Tearing apart a perfectly good and quite rare car in pursuit of YouTube hits?

Thirdly, nothing to do with me, I called him an ignorant vandal, which I'm happy to stand by.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

tomberlin likes this.
  14. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Hey guys. "Irritating" Owner/Builder/"ignorant vandal" here. Been a 10+ year lurker on the forums.

It's a real disappointment to see some of you guys taking some personal shots at me, and making brash judgments about me as a person or why I am building this car, but it comes with the territory and was entirely expected by this crowd, unfortunately.

I don't mind in the least that you don't like the car, or that you find it to be a waste. I genuinely, completely understand why some folks would find what I am doing to be upsetting, and that's not what I'm after, it just so happens to be a side effect. Whether you want to believe it or not, I am a normal car guy just like you. I just-so-happen to like different things than you do, and not on that list is slow, old, anemic cars. I'm making my 308 fit my needs, and I think it will be fantastic when finished. It'll up the value of your cars at the same time, so don't be too upset about it.

Keep in mind, most of these cars are in the hands of people that want to preserve them. One lost isn't the tragedy its being made out to be.

Thanks to the few comments that are open minded at minimum. I don't expect everyone to like what I am doing (and let's be clear, I find the incredibly sour attitudes of some of you genuinely hilarious...) but it seems like there are one or two of you that at least understand why I'd make the changes I am. We all own these cars for personal reasons: some form of endearment, attachment, reverence, or romance with them. I have my own take on it, and while its one I don't expect to be shared by anyone, it's one that stems from a similar place as others.

Thanks for checking out what I'm up to. Maybe I'll post updates here as they come. I might add some underglow lighting just for Iain.

ants2au, Nuvolari, shashi27 and 8 others like this.
  15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #40 kcabpilot, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Right, my mention of personal snipes and beard jokes was not in reference to anything you had posted.

Welcome Mr Burroughs I had assumed you would be lurking here. Anyway, you're not the first person to cut up a 308 GTB, maybe this will inspire you if you haven't already seen it.

Dominik B., ragtop1 and M.Burroughs like this.
  16. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Far from the first, far form the last. Not doing anything plenty of other tuners haven't done in the past. I'm just doing my own take on it. Thanks for the link, that was an awesome clip.

17. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    #42 JC Andruet, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    If you’re fitting under glow lighting, don’t forget to go the extra mile and fit that gun rack too :D

Good luck with the project, hope it works out.

18. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    The owner of the 308 Gr4 308 linked to, built it but only used it on a handful of hillclimbs before selling up and moving on to something with a few more horsepower ... :

No reason why a turbo’d K24 308 shouldn’t have the same 570hp now ...:eek:

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think that what Mr Burroughs wants is an NSX that looks like a 308 but to be brutally honest the 308 is 1960's tech. It's really just a Dino with a slightly bigger motor. So he's got his work cut out for him and I for one am in on watching how he deals with it. I'll admit at first I was peeved that he seemed to be looking to piss people off but I've re-thought that and figure he just knew it was inevitable so may as well accept it up front and run with it. At least someone will get a motor and possibly more because I'm pretty sure that once this particular 308 goes under the knife there ain't no way it's ever coming back.

M.Burroughs likes this.
  20. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I am sure it will surprise a few people at the lights.

So that'll be worth it ;)

21. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Uh, you kind of went a bit defensive on me on FB . . . accusing me of "cherry picking" when I actually had not confronted you, nor truly offered any opinion at all, instead merely offering facts for the purpose of perspective. I find it somewhat disingenuous to post on social media, seek audience, claim you don't expect everyone to like it . . . something which you even state in your own video as controversial . . . then turn right around and decry 'incredibly sour attitudes which you consider hilarious, and (for whatever reason) meet your expectation.'

Perhaps some of the comments here went too far, I will give you that . . . but here again you are seeking audience (attention) on social media. In that arena, one can't take flippant remarks personally. They happen.

Many who post here have been engaged in furthering the enthusiasm for and preservation of these early V8 cars for years. Right or wrong, what you are doing is not gonna be embraced as brilliant by everyone who reads this thread. That doesn't mean they have sour attitudes

Good luck with your project.

tomberlin likes this.
  22. sapguy

sapguy Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Lots of electric motors available for classic cars now, transplant one of those into this and your performance problems disappear

23. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Yes - this is the 10-15 year future of most 308s. Too expensive in this decade.

24. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    It has been a while since I had driven a Tesla, so a friend tossed me the keys to a Porsche Taycan Turbo S the other day.

Holy mother of crap. It was violent, and smooth, and instantly disorienting. I thought it was just my middle aged brain, but my fourteen year old was equally as impacted by the 1.4g acceleration. Shocking.

Anyhow, that is the future, and In sure not too long from now there will be drop in electric power plants for these Ferraris and most everything else.

Of course, with every man, woman and child capable of going 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, who will want to be on the road anymore?

25. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    I think there's a bit of projection going on here. :p Amir and I were having a good laugh about your replies. He wanted me to remind you that Ferrari sucks and their cars are garbage.

As far as the "doesn't mean they have sour attitudes" comment, you're 100% right. Calling me an ignorant vandal, on the other hand, is rather sour. Lmao. Some people in here are sour. Even you are kind of sour. It's fine. Own it.

Electric power is an awesome option, but it's not for me on this build. A huge problem I have with the 308 is its absurdly heavy weight, and electric power won't fix that. I'd love to incorporate electric power on a future build, though.