Is Owning a Pista and F-8 too Similar? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is Owning a Pista and F-8 too Similar?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by racerdj, Jan 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Keep an FR V12 ferrari in these times. They're becoming rare.

tfazio, GT2goneF, IloveGT and 3 others like this.
  2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    F8 and Keep the 812, why have 2 mid engined Ferrari's? The V12 is the quintessential Ferrari as Enzo wanted it!

And I am in the same camp that I would rather have an F8 than a Pista for similar reasons as mentioned.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's almost as soft and comfy as my Lusso. Not sure what you define as firm if you think an F8 is firm or harsh. A Pista is much more firm in its setup than an F8. The F8 is great, and while it is great, it also pretty darn soft in its suspension setup all things considered. Much more so than an 812 SF for instance.

Caeruleus11 and Condor Man like this.
  4. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Also depend on the roads, ones driving style and personal sensitivity to ride quality.

its like people that prattle on about race seats being the only way to go etc.....

Give me a break, I’ve done the track car on road and have had enough of it :D:D

Boomhauer and racerdj like this.
  5. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    In no way would I describe the ride in my F8 as soft.. guess it’s all subjective.

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    When I think about a firm or even harsh ride, I think about a car like a Pista or GT3RS. The latter is the harshest of the current crop of road going track day focused cars imo. The Pista is softer then the Porsche, but still fairly firm, and also not very noise insulated. By these comparisons, the F8 and 488 for that matter, is very compliant, quiet and comfortable. We can substitute the word soft with compliant, but it does not take away from the fact that the F8 has a very comfortable ride. I will stress that I don't see this as a bad thing. I actually like how it gives the car a split personality. I'm always surprised and smitten when a car on one hand delivers a great deal of comfort, but yet is able to demolish a track if called upon. The Porsche GT and Pista is different, it does what you expect it to do. The 488 and F8 are funny animals, because they do things one would think they were not able to do. We can call it what we like and we have different perceptions, but the F8 cannot be called hard, firm or raw, because it is not. It's a sports car, but it's not a raw track monster. You can live with it every day, drive for 10 hours without getting sore, talk calmly in the cabin etc. Try that with a Pista, it's just a different type of car. So far my longest stint behind the wheel of the Pista is about 11 hours, and that wears you out. I have done the same with the 488, and it's just a pleasure. When I tested the F8, I found it to be even more compliant that the 488. It is what it is, it's the modern world of sports cars where comfort is at the forefront.

7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I can speak from experience that Pista/812 combo is magical. Everything you are missing from one car is in the other.

Loxo, xBox, GT2goneF and 2 others like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    To answer OP question. No. They may be essentially the same car but they don't drive anywhere near the same.

I think you will be fine in the F8 so long as you don't ever drive a Pista. If you do then you will have a problem.

Loxo, pninja005, Caeruleus11 and 5 others like this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I can only imagine so. same thing with stereo system, camera, cars, watches. there are never the best but only better. Once the comparison is in the mind, we cannot erase the comparison.

Shadowfax and GT2goneF like this.
  10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think that they would be way to similar.

If I was in your position I would cancel the F8 and buy a Pista instead.

May the Horse be with you

11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Seems like we are in the same page!

12. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If they have a Pista I am sure they would be happy to cancel.

Loxo, Art138 and GT2goneF like this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is it. The constant comparison over what one has settled for and the intrigue of not knowing what one has yet to experience is what seems to drive a lot of these types of discussions.

I've driven both and I honestly could not imagine anyone - and I mean anyone - getting out after driving these two saying that the F8 is equally compelling or engaging as a driving experience as the Pista. That said it is clear they are the same car when you open the door and sit in them as everything is pretty well much the same unless you have standard seats. Personally I fail to see the point in owning both a Pista and an F8 but that doesn't change what I said earlier.

14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    That is my aim. F8 in the shop. Next one in the scope is an 812. But not until I get space for it. So that may be a little while.

Shadowfax likes this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    It is all in your wording and the sensitivity and subjective perception of the word "soft". I get what you are saying. Using the word soft, makes it sound inappropriate or inadequate. But like I said, I can relate because the GT2 kicks my ass when I go on spirited drives. I am exhausted and the end of the drive. I enp up with muscle soreness and a little tremor. It is indeed a workout. I am sure that the F8 would probably be a lot easier than that. However, with that said, I am sure that the Pista (disclosure: have not driven one but I dare to say) isn't as harsh and demanding as my GT2 either.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #41 Shadowfax, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Yes Pista is still very much a rd car and this is where I really struggle with the thought of buying an F8 over a Pista or, owning both, given they are indeed very much the same car in an overall physical sense. The main difference is really in the level of driver engagement, and the overall sense of driving satisfaction gained knowing there is so little compromise over the F8 variant. As I said earlier, if you own an F8 I would not advise driving the Pista unless there was a car available to your liking which you were ready to make a change into immediately. And I don't say this lightly as the difference is enough to cause problems for sure.

If one owns an F8 and is happy with it then I would leave it right there and not pursue things any further unless one was ready to pull a trigger. That would be my best advice on the matter. This is definitely one of those times where it's best to be happy with your own lot and step away from the fire and just leave things well alone.

PS. Fwiw I think Il Co hit the nail on the head too, but it is perfectly understandable some F8 owners are struggling with his terms and definitions as they obviously haven't driven both as he has which has qualified him to draw his own conclusions.

Il Co-Pilota and ScrappyB like this.
  17. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I sold my F8 and my 812. I will not sell my F12 TdF, my Pista or my Speciale. In fact I may have multiples of each.

Why did I sell those two? They were not special production cars and so will not rise in value nor be collectible cars. Further, each was less compelling to me than the cars I said I will not be selling.

I am intrigued by the upcoming 812 spider as there has not been a generally available 12 cylinder convertible from Ferrari for many years. I also have specced a TM F8 spider as if what I have been led to believe is true, it will be the last vestige of the 458, 488, F8 line. Plus it’s a cool, cruiser, convertible.

If you are going to be able to get a Ferrari, there really is not a wrong answer. I am thrilled that so many people prefer the F8 to the Pista as it shows a passion for the brand and the car! I usually favor the more aggressive cars because I track cars over 60 days a year and value less weight and better turn in.

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It may well be a matter of tuning various attributes but to me the Pista feels a more involving and immediate car to drive. The F8 is still a wonderful car, I agree with @Twosherpaz - the praise for the F8 is deserved and shows the passion for Ferrari!

But to answer the OP question- I think it is yes, the Pista and F8 have enough similarity, at least in my eyes, if I had both here, I would drive the Pista and wonder what am I doing with F8. So, to my preferences, the ideal combination would be Pista coupe and 812 GTS. There you are playing to the strengths of both platforms.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Without comparison to the Pista or Performante, the F8 suspension cannot be categorized as soft, which would be more applicable to the 720S, Turbo S or the Huracan 610-4. The F8 strikes a goldilocks balance being not overly firm or compliantly soft. It offers a tactile feel to the road surfaces with sufficient driver feedback. I found the suspenion tuning uncannily balanced to create a highly capable performing car that is absolutely daily driveable.

20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Why would you think the F8 is faster than a Pista? No objective evidence to verify this claim.

21. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Some people just don't understand that not everyone wants a harder core version (Pista vs F8) No one is saying the Pista is not the more aggressive, more driver involved experience. But that's not what everyone wants, my wife would not enjoy the Pista compared to my F8. I wouldn't want the Pista over the F8 for MY PURPOSES and it is not worth the extra $100,000 dollars to me.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    ? = question mark. As in, a question.
    Answered myself going to Dragtimes and seeing his vids on 720s vs Pista and then F8. F8 is about .3 slower in the quarter. 720 beats. 765lt is the quickest yet.
    Cheers!

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not only is there no real objective measure , there's a very good reason why a Pista might have a slightly harder time hooking from a dead stop, which will result in a faster time on a drag strip for an F8. While the MPSC2 is great for track as it grips hard once hot, it is a mediocre tyre for a hard launch if not properly hot. By comparison, a car with MPSS will be much better off and launch harder. That can easily account for why some have seen a faster 0-60 or quarter mile time with an F8. Now put MPSS or MPS4S shoes on both cars, and there's no doubt that the lighter Pista will be the faster car. Comparing two cars on "cold" MPSS and MPSC2 tyres is apples and oranges. I have MPSC2 on both my 488 and Pista so I don't pull this from thin air, and as great as they are on track when above 60 C degrees, an MPSS or MPS4S is better in all situations at lower temps. This is also why I keep saying that MPSC2 is not worth it if you don't track. Unless someone takes two cars with the same shoes, it's pointless.

tekaefixe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't think anybody have said that is what everyone wants. We are just talking about the differences. I got a Pista and sold my Pista Spider because it was too firm to be a fun Spider, but I could not make a proper track car out of it either. I perfectly understand the differences. I have also opted out of the AF pack for my SF90 as I want a car that runs well on the road rather than on track. Hard is great for track, but can be nervous on the road. What I will say is that when it comes to a unique or special experience, the more focused Pista does a better job of this, and that is where the extra money goes.

GT2goneF and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Yeah I was not referring to you but our friend Shadow, he seems to think if you have an F8 and drive a Pista you might as well take your F8 to the junkyard. LOL

Texas2step, Coincid and RoadRonin like this.