I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history... | Page 7 | FerrariChat

I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history...

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That is quite odd. It feels like we have very few gas stations in downtown due to the land cost. To give you an idea here are two images showing charging stations versus gas stations...roughly.

Landlord has a Tesla and has had no problems. On any major route around Toronto you will find chargers at food stops or malls.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    EV Charging stations are easy to compact. You find them parking garages in Florida all over.

3. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    BS.

Bas and william like this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We don't have that infrastructure yet in UK. Maybe only Tesla has.
    EV brands have different charging systems, I am told, and you must subscribe to an electicity supplier to charge your car.
    So you may turn up to a charging point, not served by your supplier, or not compatible with your car.
    Some people have been left stranded on motorway because the charging points weren't working, or had been vandalised, etc ...
    You can help someone who ran out of gas, but not a car with empty battery, and recovery vehicles pick up EVs with flat batteries these days...

SimCity3 and ChadR like this.
  5. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Same in Belgium.
    EV is already history. Governments are gradually stopping the million € support for EV.
    The tax advantage made people buy this crap. BTW, that was the ONLY reason why EV got (just a bit of) success.
    Governments are gonna need that money now to fill the billion € Covid pit.

jpalmito, Bas, Flavio_C and 2 others like this.
  6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Most EVs will charge just fine from a a normal wall socket, you don't need a special charger. You can have an extension cord so your host doesn't need to move his car. Its only a couple of bucks to charge an EV once, bring your host a nice bottle of wine or something.

ChadR likes this.
  7. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I don't think so. The Bolt I borrowed from my electricity vendor took 22 hours to get to full charge after a 68 mile drive from a 'normal wall socket'.

Bas, SimCity3 and william like this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Sure CO2 fluxuates, however CO2 has not been as high as it is today in the last million years (as shown on the graph).

At no point on the graph was the concentration over 300ppm so the logical conclusion is that humans have added a bit more than 120ppm to the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere (or about 1/3rd of where the total CO2 is right now.)

I suggest volcanos are a major culpret to several of the large surges in CO2 levels way back when, possibly accompanied by several massive forest fires.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    You are forgetting the main source of CO2: the oceans.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    UK Car industry: 'massive investment' needed in EV charging

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/car-industry-massive-investment-needed-ev-charging

UK car industry bosses have called the huge rise in battery-electric and plug-in hybrid vehicle sales last year a “significant achievement” – but say that a massive investment in charging infrastructure and domestic battery production is needed in readiness for the UK government’s planned 2030 ban on new ICE vehicles.

Combined, electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles accounted for more than 10% of all UK new car registrations in 2020, compared with a 3.1% share in 2019. The 108,205 EVs sold last year represented a 185.9% year-on-year increase.

Mike Hawes, the head of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), said that while the growth is hugely encouraging, it needs to be considered in context of the UK government’s 2030 ban on most non-zero-emissions vehicles. Certain hybrids will be allowed until 2035.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Flavio_C likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Any country in Europe that doesn't follow the concensus adopted by the European Union regarding carbon emission will be penalised one way or the other.
    I can't see no point for the UK to do different, if it ruins its car industry, or makes exporting to Europe impossible.
    So I will be pragmatic about this and accept what is decided.
    The time is passed where choice was possible, and now we have more important issues to worry about. .

14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Welcome to Ferrarichat, the forum of automotive passion and bella machina. a place now where some active members tell us that it is normal to accept the evolution towards electricity and that it is inevitable. really sad.

375+ and Bas like this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I can't imagine anyone loving Ferrari 250 SWB's if they where powered by electricity.

Or anyone willingly go to watch the ''historic Formula E'' in 15 years time (hell, I can't even imagine willingly watching modern Formula E, lol)

635CSI, Flavio_C and jpalmito like this.
  16. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    No worries, it's just the choirboys!
    Same bunch of people that love Louise and his Mercheates F1 team.
    I really wonder what this guys are doing on a forum called Ferrarichat.

furoni, Flavio_C, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  17. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I've got 6 years of experience doing it and have never had an issue. Sure the possibility exists that it could be an inconvenience in certain situations. Course so is trying to find a gas station in a sketchy part of town late at night. However the benefits in day to day usability and convenience far out way that possibility. I suspect if the roles were reversed and Gas powered cars were trying to unseat an entrenched EV population it would never happen and people would think you were nuts for even suggesting that you would buy a car you can't refuel at your home. This is borne out by surveys where only 1% of EV owners would ever consider going back.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I can't do better than repeat my post #10 from Sept 2020 on the subject.
    Nothing to do with choirboys or Hamilton sycophants, it's just reality.

"In Europe at least, electric cars are the future, and it won't be a matter of choice.
    This will simply be forced upon us by legislation, some unknown to the public, but already in place !
    The choice of mode of transport will soon be a thing of the past. The EU has already voted to ban the sale of ICE cars beyond a certain date.
    It was initially 2050, then it became 2040, and I believe it is now 2035, 2030 in some countries. Governments are well aware of the public reluctance.
    So, to force the motorists to switch, existing ICE will, be heavily taxed, so will be fossil fuels. I have read that ICE cars may be banned from town very soon.
    The EU is now preparing legislation to anticipate the ban ICE vehicle use, just a few years after the ban on sale, to boost the car industry.
    Already most manufacturers have electric vehicles in their range to satisfy governments, and to be ready for the change.
    Once the market becomes all electric, I cannot see how motor racing can continue using ICE.
    Probably historic racing will be given an exemption, but the main championships (WRC, WEC, and F1) will not avoid running electric cars.
    As I said, that we like it or not."

You may not like the message, but there is no point shooting the messenger.

Flavio_C likes this.
  19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Significant taxation for EV's is starting to filter through.

Additionally France has a new dry weight tax which snares heavy EV's.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    'Biofuel can save the internal combustion engine, but F1 has to be quick'

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/76266/biofuel-can-save-the-internal-combustion-engine-but-f1-has-to-be-quick.html

Formula 1 has taken a number of important steps towards the future over the last few years. The budget ceiling has guaranteed fairer competition, and with a range of young talents it also looks good in sporting terms. But what about the sustainable picture of Formula 1?

According to Andreas Haupt of Auto Motor und Sport, it is in fact absolutely essential that sport gets to work on this as quickly as possible. He foresees that in the next few years, politicians will accelerate decisions that will completely ban cars powered by fossil fuels. This is already happening in some cities.

That would, of course, be a great loss for car enthusiasts, and Formula 1 would be squeezed with internal combustion engines. That is why, in Haupt's view, it is very important that they set the development of CO2-neutral fuels in motion as soon as possible and also use them as soon as possible. In this way, the internal combustion engine might even be a more environmentally friendly solution than an all-electric car.And it is true that the manufacturers are lagging a little behind. They are hesitant about the costs and would therefore prefer to introduce these fuels at the same time as the new engines in 2025 or even 2026, whereas the introduction of eco-fuels was first planned for 2023.

FIA has fuel from biomass ready
    And all this in spite of the fact that a sustainable fuel is available. In fact, the FIA has developed a 100% renewable fuel from biomass, which has now been available for manufacturers to test with since Christmas. Haupt believes that it should be used in the Grands Prix within two years at the latest.

The development of other sustainable methods could be speeded up through cooperation with the aircraft industry. Such as synthetic fuels, in which the production process still costs too much energy, and electrolysis, in which water is split into oxygen and hydrogen and the CO2 molecules can bind to them.

jpalmito likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I just spotted that.

Yes it does matter where CO2 is produced, because when produced in excessive quantity, CO2 is LETHAL .

There is a certain level beyond which CO2 starts to be harmful, so heavy CO2 concentration is best avoided.

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Global warming, population control, EU politics are all P&R topics.

The Strad, Flavio_C, SimCity3, Bas Jaski, johnireland, and lorenzobandini - 30 day thread bans.

If another run like this happens again, we will have to close this thread.

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Errr, with one BIG exception, yes.

That BIG excception is we use teh word track for both road race track and for a drag strip.
    EVs have already won the drag strip up to the point you get into fuelies......

Lotus is working on a sports car with 500 HP per WHEEL ! HP and TQ are going to be "off the wall" in EVs of the future at least in a theoretical sense. If you actually want distance then you must drive conservatively, on the other hand when you don't; no ICE can give you what EVs will be able.

Now, if we could only find some way for the noise (vibrations and harshness) of the ICE to be present..........

william likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The torque of an electric motor is simply phenomenal compared to an ICE.

Electric vehicles will show some advantages, but they need to improve on battery capacity and charging time to be more convincing to the general public, IMO.

Probably that some people will always prefer ICE anyway, just like steam engines have their fans, or some prefer sail to powerboats.

25. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

We are already at the stage where we already have too much HP for street cars
    Skilled drivers cannot fully exploit them on public streets.

Top drivers such as Chris Harris have been advocating for Less power and Less grip so that skilled drivers can have more FUN.

tritone and william like this.