Dash Cam Installation | FerrariChat

Dash Cam Installation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Normal Guy Supercar, May 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    One of the first things I wanted installed when I bought my 458 was a dash cam. I think they are cheap insurance against a false claim in an accident, vandalism, or even just re-living a moment that happened. I've tried many different brands of cameras and settled on BlackVue as being the best option. They aren't cheap, but they're damn good.

I was having the headliner repaired in my 458 so I took the opportunity while the upper trim was already removed to install the camera and get the wires run. It's definitely a job that you can DIY if you set aside a couple of hours and some patience. It would be even faster if you're only installing a single camera instead of front and rear, or installing just the camera and no battery backup. But, I highly recommend the battery system if you ever plan to park the car somewhere other than at home. I've already had "parking mode" come in handy when a jerk put gum on my F430.

If you don't fell like DIY installation, there's likely shops near you that will do an install. The DashCam Store here in Austin charges in the $3-500 range for an installation I believe (don't quote me on that).

Enjoy

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks for the review - I'm shopping around for a cam for my truck right now.

I've actually seen some of your other videos on YouTube before; always interesting

Ray

GT2goneF likes this.
  3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hey Dan! Long time follower of your YT channel, great to see you in here! Agreed, Blackvues are the best, got them mounted in all my cars (including company cars). Keep the videos coming and send my regards to Meg!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    @dhurlbert, a few questions i was hoping you could you help answer:
    • did you find any other locations in the interior to put the battery besides where you mounted it?
    • i have it mounted on the interior of our family car so that the temps stay under control. wonder if high temp exposure (esp. on hot days) been an issue for you since the install.
    • when you look in the rear view mirror, can you see the rear facing camera? i'm curious if you looked at installing it in the engine bay?
    your videos are always super entertaining and informative. thanks for making them.

GT2goneF likes this.
  5. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I use Owl Cam. So far so good! Love the live connection and warnings.

SECRET likes this.
  6. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I don't know there's many places to mount the battery in the interior. Having it in the front area behind the frunk tub seems to be working fairly well for me. I don't think the heat has had any affect on the battery as it's technically a capacitor not a battery.
    I can see the rear camera in my rear view mirror but it's so tiny it doesn't really matter.

7. Andrew C

Andrew C Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    @dhurlbert I watched your videos on YT and I think their great. Was able to get to the fusebox from your videos. Question about the trim removal above the seats, do they just pop up with a good yank? Trying to not break any clips as said in your video

8. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Correct. You may want to get yourself a trim removal kit as that can really come in handy, plus you're much less likely to damage the leather.

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree that you need a trim removal kit, it makes it so much easier and prevents damage to the leather and parts. I just hardwired my radar detector and dashcam. Here are the instructions from the WSM to take off the roof and door trim. Note that you need to take off the roof panel above the rear window first. These are all held on by snaps. After taking off the roof trim, there is a screw that needs to be removed before you start snapping off the other pieces.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dragster likes this.
  10. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan, love your YT channel. I have been following your garage remodel. Looks great and I am impressed with your handiness.

11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    fyi, to close the loop on this thread, i ended up installing the battery inside the dash just behind the passenger side knee bumpers on the Pista. If you do not have the optional "HiFi" option, there's an empty bracket behind there where the JBL amp typically resides for that option. It's a good spot thats right next to the fuses.

Dom458 and RayJohns like this.
  12. Andrew C

Andrew C Rookie

Jun 4, 2020

@ridege55 These images are a godsend! Thanks for posting them.

And yeah Dan’s new garage is sweeeeet

13. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    I have the cameras in my SUV. Just wondering about the rear camera in a 488. Do the two layers of glass distort the image to make it not usable in case of an incident?

14. Andrew C

Andrew C Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    I have no issues with it in the 458. This is mounted inside the cabin on the rear window.

pdxjim488 likes this.
  15. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Is yours mounted at the top of the rear window or at the bottom? Mine is at the top and always in the way when looking in the rear view mirror. It’s hard to see behind me even without that in the way, so it makes things even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Andrew C

Andrew C Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Yea, its mounted on the top. Lets be honest, you cant see much out of the rear window anyways. I always have to lower my head a bit if I REALLY wanted to look out the rearview mirror. That tiny dashcam isn't obstructing much that the car already isn't.

17. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Any solutions / suggestions for a spider rear camera?

18. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Wonder about mounting rear camera to one side or the other. Not in the center. Thoughts?

19. Andrew C

Andrew C Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Never even considered it, is there a good reason you want it mounted on the sides? I mean the rear window is pretty tiny... not sure you’d get much with it on the side. Like I said before, you’re not blocking much with it in the middle

20. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    With the rear view being small as it is, I don't think I want the camera right in the middle.