348 Engine Rebuild Info Needed | FerrariChat

348 Engine Rebuild Info Needed

Discussion in '348/355' started by Porrari Guy, Jan 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Porrari Guy

Porrari Guy Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dustin Aydt
    Hello FerrariChat! I just purchased my first Ferrari. It's a 91 348TS that suffered a timing belt failure; possibly caused by a failed intermediate shaft bearing. To replace these bearings I will have to remove the oil pan; while there I might as well remove the pistons/rods and have the pistons crack checked just to be safe. This being the case I'm pretty much planning on freshening up the whole engine; only thing up in the air is whether or not to replace the main bearings. The engine was recently serviced by a well-known local Ferrari shop after sitting idle for 13 several years. Shortly after the service is when the belt failure occurred.

My first question is; does anyone have PDF versions of the workshop manual available? I have the parts manual but I feel there still may be some questions.

Next, is there anything specific I should look for or replace if I'm going this deep? I've seen some info about TIs and other updates that should be addressed but was hoping to get them all in one place.

I'm picking the car up this week and plan to get the engine/gearbox out this weekend and then reinstall the rear subframe so I can take my time with the engine. I'm sure I will have a lot more questions as this process progresses. Looking forward to talking with many of you in the years to come.

Thank you,
    Dustin

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    PM me with your email.

I can also share pics of my block side about to fail that I caught in time. (TSB 10-34).

I'll be curious to hear what caused the failure.

sjd

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Don't forget a lot of your questions will have already been answered both here in specific threads and general technical sticky and in sites like my348.com (wsm pdf here) as you are not the first to have to rebuild this engine

5. Porrari Guy

Porrari Guy Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dustin Aydt
    Thanks for the replies guys. The main thing I was looking for was the WSM; @steved033 hooked me up on that. @greyboxer, I tried downloading from my348.com but the links are broken for the manuals. I will absolutely take advantage of the search function on this site. @Ferrarium thank you for the info; the shop owner that sold me the car believes that the bearing outlined in TSB 10-34 is what caused the failure.

Thank you all for your time, input and experiences. Really looking forward to the journey ahead!
    Dustin