Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 72 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Thanks, I haven’t totalled the receipts, but it has to be more than the cost of the car. There’s also some nice dealer correspondence and photos of the Citroen SM that was traded for it - it had 80k miles on it in 1985. I’ve gotten all electronics working at this time except the power antenna and the fuel gauge. Working on air conditioning and more cleaning next. Cheers.

2. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Hi QPIII folks, a couple questions today:

1. What color are the mirrors supposed to be - are they color coded to the car (Nero) or are they supposed to be another color? Or does it really matter...I was going to paint them as they're faded.

2. Wrinkle paint - same - does anyone have a favorite for carb cover, etc?
    3. Is there a definitive QPIII Quad Weber tuning guide? I've read several for triples, but wanted to know if there was a definitive procedure.
    4. I am looking for a small variety of parts if anyone has a parts car sitting around. Interior and exterior 'bits'.

That's it for today, I've sort of left the car through the holidays but expect to do some work this weekend since it's raining.

fleetwing likes this.
  3. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Neal,

To the best of my knowledge, the rear view mirrors were originally painted in black regardless of the body color. There are a few examples matching the body color but they do not appear to be original - see for example https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/maserati/quattroporte/1984/280112 which was a special order in the first place, and probably modified later as well (4-tip exhaust...).

For the wrinkle paint, all models up to 1986 were painted in black. After 1986 (i.e. when the Quattroporte became the Royale) the four cam covers were painted in red but the carb air box remained black. There are several brands available and the procedure is described elsewhere on this forum. I think VHT is considered a good one, there's another one sold by MIE as well, but I haven't tried either of them.

Carburetor tuning has been discussed earlier on this thread and also in the Ferrari 308 sub-forum. The procedure is essentially the same for 3 or 4 carbs, but more precision is required with 4 carbs to achieve a good balance. Some people only swear by the Haynes manual, but it looks like most people nowadays view Birdman's tutorial as the best one (http://www.birdman308.com/service/sync/carb_synch_tutorial.htm). You can also refer to http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/2014/08/carb-tuning-1-weber-dcnf-carbs-and.html which uses the same method, but with better illustrations. After playing with my carbs for a while, I obtained the best results with the Birdman tutorial, but using a Colortune at step 11 to set the idle mixture more precisely. The original jetting seems to work well even with modern fuels. The main circuit jetting (135 main/F25 tube/155 air) works particularly well for me.

One thing that makes carb balancing particularly difficult on this car is the absence of vacuum ports on the carbs/intake manifold runners. They are mentioned in the service manual but apparently only early cars had vacuum ports and mine doesn't. People can only resort to air flow meters for balancing, which is okay but definitely less precise than mercury columns.

fleetwing and Froggie like this.
  4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello JamesPeter26 and Naccer.. Happy New Year to you both (a bit early here!)...

I was unaware of these two carb tuning tutorials.. I will be looking them over closely.. Thank you for the links !...

Naccer: You indicate you are looking for some parts, perhaps you can share what you are looking for on this thread. Perhaps
    someone will be able to help!

Attached is a picture of my car.. Some work has been done... Just need to find the time to get back to it...

Mike

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mike your car looks stunning and well taken care of! Happy new year to all of you as well!

6. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    @jamespeter26 thank you very much for the carb tuning guide - I've never had a carb'd 308, but this makes perfect sense applied to the QP.

@Mexico074 your car looks great - I'll post a few things I'm looking for below. I have the same color combo.

The biggest nit on this car is a spot of rust on the hood - I suppose I'll need to paint it eventually.

Parts -

The latch for the armrest storage bin is missing on the car - and the armrest itself is very worn - if someone had a used one from a parts car in decent condition - that would be very cool - but the latch is really all that's needed.

Lights - I'd like to change this car to H4 headlamps from a european car.

Fog Lights - I'd like to add them, anything appropriate, and the dash switch

The antenna is broken on this car. Oddly the radio tunes just fine, but I'd like to have one.

I may need a fuel sender - the gauge and reserve light test on the dash - but I haven't pulled it out yet to try and clean it. It's full of gas at the moment.

A door handle - one of them sticks all of the time, it may just need cleaning.

So, not really that much - the car is very complete. Has the tool roll, plug in light for the engine compartment, jack, spare. I am missing the owner's manual, and the pouch they go in...even though I have the dealer brochures, all supplements, window sticker, and records from new.

7. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Neal,

For the antenna I can quote the below excerpt from William Abraham's article on this car:

Antenna – the original antenna is the Hirschmann Auta 9600 Amplified antenna. It was very short – only three segments – so many people think it is stuck in. They kept it short and amplified it. It was also all black. Here is what I received from an expert: "The aerial you have is a Hirschmann Hitromatic AUTA 6900, order code 920086011. These were fairly unusual in so much as they had a short three-section, 40 cm mast, and therefore had an amplifier for the signal. They were also switch operated rather than automatic. The replacement mast for them is part number 820253011. I have checked with Hirschmann Germany and unfortunately they were discontinued in the 1980s and no stock remains of either aerial or mast. It is unlikely you will easily find replacements as they were not, as far as I know, fitted to any large production models as original equipment, but sold mostly as an after-market aerial and presumably in smallish numbers to Maserati. They were not fitted as OE to Jaguar, Mercedes or Porsche, nor are they similar to the aerial that were."

In the absence of an original replacement, any antenna will work since it is a rather generic item, but please note that you will need either a small motor or remote motor variant, since the usual "normal size" antenna is too big to fit behind the carpet panel in the trunk.

In my car I installed the Retrosound AM FM DAB Black Mast Mini Electric Automatic Antenna PA-03B Aerial which works very well and is also a perfect fit in terms of space. However the larger model from the same brand won't fit.

Please note that you will also need to replace the electric switch next to the stereo head unit, which controls when the antenna extends and retract. Older antennas like the Hirschmann were semi-automatic, meaning they need a rocker switch. The Retrosound and most newer antennas have an automatic motor, meaning they need a toggle switch. A good solution is to replace the existing rocker switch with an original toggle switch similar to the one that locks rear windows. Part number is 330.90.29.00.

8. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    @jamespeter26 this is quite informative. Thank you, I found it interesting that this radio which is an old blaupunkt cassette has extremely sensitive FM tuning even with no antenna. Which makes sense as it has an amplifier that must be working. It’s really just having some thing to fill in the hole for looks. But I didn’t realize they were black or short. Yesterday, I started removing the carb cover to blast and repaint. The vacuum flaps at the front of the intake, was this an emissions item? This car has all emissions equipment in tact and passed VA a year ago. It has also failed plenty of times...

9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    jamespeter26 - excellent information on the antenna !!! Please keep us in the loop on all the work you are doing to your car!

Neal: What year is your QPIII? I may be able to help with a pouch and manual.. Will have to check!

Mike

10. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Hi Mike, this one is a 1985. Thanks! Neal

11. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Well I found the source of my gas smell. Needed to replace some fuel lines...that was almost a pint of fuel. I guess that platter is there to catch it before it catches the engine on fire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Good Morning Neal...

Your post indicates a gas smell and the replacement of fuel lines.. Unfortunately, I couldn't open the two
    attachments (pictures?) you posted... Not sure if others can or not.. Could you repost them, in a format
    acceptable to this forum.. I would love to see where the fuel was pooling or spilling, and what specific
    platter you are talking about!

Thanks...

Mike

13. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tried again there...

MrMark likes this.
  14. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    I'll post an 'after' shot, I just tested this with the fuel pump on for several minutes before putting it all back together. Seems good, and not dripping. Still letting some old gas evaporate though.

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    The parts from this car are probably worth more than the car itself...
    If only I had more room!

Mike

fleetwing and MK1044 like this.
  16. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Hi all, what's the best source for the accelerator pump seal on each DCNF carb? I also need the cork gasket that goes all the way around the intake - the big one that goes over all the carbs and has 10 10mm nuts.

Thank you ahead of time, Neal

17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    MIE has the accelerator pumps: http://www.maseratinet.com//pc-15433-632-accelerator-pump-diaphragm.aspx
    and also Pierce Manifolds

Ivan

18. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Thanks, of course. I looked but that site is not the easiest to navigate. Any trick for replacing those without removing the carbs from the manifold? The screw on the bottom right seems almost impossible to get to.

fleetwing likes this.
  19. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Hi all, I got the carb rebuild kits, did all that work, cleaned up the engine bay while I was waiting for parts. On to AC and power steering this weekend. But no fuel leaks.

MrMark likes this.
  20. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    That car is about 2 miles from me.
    I spoke with the seller today and had a quick look at it late this afternoon after dark.
    Apparently it's been sitting outside in the NYC area for ten years.
    It appears to be all there but it needs everything.
    It's advertised as running and driving but to look at it you would never guess that.
    I'll have a thorough look tomorrow during the day.

My initial impression is that it requires a full recommissioning.
    Still, I'm tempted. Maybe at the right price . . . :rolleyes:

21. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Run Carmine ... run!

22. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    :rolleyes: So says the expert at ignoring such advice. :D

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    A full recommisioning may require much more than the price of a well sorted one!

24. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    May? I think we've all had enough experience with these kinds of things to know better than "may". $ $ $ :)
    What the Hell, though. Better this than the bartender getting my money.

Nembo1777 likes this.