Maserati Khamsin | Page 365 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thanks Mike .... yep, that is how mine is connected. I'll call you later today as I need you to take a few photos of your car when you go see it.

As a reminder to anyone working on the K's vacuum, a few years I wrote an article on the Khamsin's vacuum system and it can be found at:
    http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Khamsin_vacuum_article.pdf

Ivan

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Photo taken yesterday after 1284 successfully completed its maiden test run. I purchased this car not knowing a thing about it. I had no idea of the engine compression nor state of the clutch and gearbox or even if it had its original engine. The engine coughed and farted the few miles from where the transporter dropped it to my house .... it was not a happy car.

Decided before attempting to drive it further it needed a good sorting out. Compression turned out to be excellent with all cylinders between 160 and 170 psi. Oil pressure was WAY too high at close to 150 psi! Overall it is a very good unmolested car and I suspect the paint is the original, still in excellent condition.
    The car has all indications of mostly been in storage for the last 20+ years. It has window stickers (emission, country club entrance) all from 1995/6. When I rebuild the carbs the rubber o-rings were as hard as plastic and crumbled in my hands. Intake manifold came out, radiator was professionally cleaned, cooling hoses replaced, engine partially detailed, etc.
    She now runs great! Not a bit of hesitation or popping. My work is far from done as there is LHM on the rear tires (most likely rear calipers need to be rebuilt) and found the remains of the steering tensioner belt (most likely tensioner is frozen) .... and I already have the parts for the bumper conversion. Next will be pressure washing the undercarriage and replacing the the main sphere.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Ivan,
    Talking LHM, do you intend to replace the accumulator with a refabricated part? and to rebuild other spheres (braking, etc.) or to replace them also?
    Serge

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Here is what I found on 1977 US-delivered Khamsins #1180 and #1196..

Both have emissions plates on passenger side wheelwell listing the Engine Family as 107/49.
    Both have Carozzeria and Autovettura number plates on the Driver's side wheelwell.

#1180 I don't have photos of what is cast on the front of the engine block, or stamped anywhere.
    The engine tag is stamped number 2096.
    Door jamb plate date of mfr is 10/77.

#1196 front of the engine block is cast with 107/3MB67167, where is the block stamped?
    The engine tag is stamped number 2098.
    Door jamb plate date of mfr is 11/77.

Cheers,
    - Art

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Art,

Standing in front of the car facing the rear, the engine number will be around 2 o'clock on the block, just in front of the bellhousing. Should be AM115/07/49*1196*

Ivan

71Satisfaction likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Here you go Art photo taken a few months ago as you recall by F chat member MK1044 who kindly went to see the car for me at ultra short notice:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Serge,

For the main accumulator, install a new one as they are not expensive. This is the one I will be installing which I purchased for $90 USD. It is made in Belgium so you should have no problem finding one.

The brake accumulators are designed to be rebuilt. Since I do not know the history of my car, and I know that some maintenance had been done, I will first test the brakes (after replacing the main accumulator) and determine if the accumulators need to be rebuilt.
    To test; stop the engine and count the number of times the brakes activate with the engine off. On a very healthy system I've counted over 40 times. Do the test again but this time wait 15 - 30 minutes before applying the brakes. This will give you a good idea of how well your car's system maintains pressure. I've seen cars maintain pressure for hours.

Ivan

Froggie likes this.
  8. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    Ivan,
    what was the reason for the 150psi oil pressure and how did you lower it?
    Regards
    Paul

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Not sure what was causing the high oil pressure. I removed the oil pressure relief valve, which is easy to do by first removing the distributor. The spring and plunger all looked fine. I replaced the oil filter even though the dealer had just done it in case it was causing a restriction. It was a good thing as the dealer had screwed on the filter too hard. It literally broke my favorite oil filter removal wrench (which I will miss :) )
    The regulator already had two copper washers so I added two additional washers. The pressure is now at around 80 psi. I drove around with a mechanical oil gauge connected, which you can see the hose in the photos I posted, to make sure I was getting accurate readings.

Ivan

10. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Hello Ivan,

adjusting the Khamsin engine at 6-10° before TDC is a recommended starting point while the airpump system & micro switch stays completely out of service.

More relevant is to avoid strictly early ignition on higher revs, which is - unfortunately - individual due to advance curve of the distributor, gasoline quality and compression of the engine/cylinders. Adjusting the high rev. advance TDC more than 38° likely causes early ignition.

Please let us know your final adjustments.

Best Regards,
    Marek

Note that at Ghiblis were 3 different distributors (with different advance curves) installed regarding on MY.

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I disconnected the micro-switch and left it disconnected, the air pump had already been eliminated. It is set at 10 BTDC and engine responds quite well. This is a very late USA car, built Nov 14, 1978.

Ivan

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Ivan,
    Did you check the oil pressure sending unit vs a mechanical reading?

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The oil gauge was reading high, which is then reason I installed the mechanical gauge and verified that the pressure was indeed very high. As you may know the after market oil sending units currently available will read high as they have a different calibration than the original Veglia. My car still has a Veglia sending unit and I was surprise to find that it is still reading accurately. The Veglia sending units tend to read low as they age.
    Ivan

14. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Art,

Roger posted a photo of a celeste mystery car in the US some months ago, see photo below.

Could that be #1180, or are the numbers on the photo below not the same as the Carozzeria and Autovettura numbers on #1180?

15. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    Need advice:
    My Khamsin 1160 runs well, about 8000 Km since I completely overhauled the engine with honing, JE Pistons, new valves, valve bushes and Victor Reinz valve stem seals.
    But I am not so happy, that, when I start the engine, I have some oil smog.
    No problem while driving, only a little bit when shifting a gear.
    I am searching for the reason:
    Compression test good, all between 11,5 and 12,5; leak air test all about 8%
    valve stem seals ?
    I made a tool, so that I can take out the valve springs in the car, to check the stem seals. See pictures.
    I saw, that there is a groove in the cylinder head around the valve bushes, see picture.
    I found part Nr. 37 in tavola 1 of parts catalogue: "Anello d,arresto 13,5*7,5*2 per guida valvole".
    What is this ?, seal ?
    Any other idea for my problem?

16. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    You'll get a good view of the exhaust pipes under there - any thought of installing a heatshield at the clutch slave cylinder? I'm installing one at the starter and began looking how to fabricate one at the clutch slave also..

So, *that* was that long strange connection you had from the engine to the passenger window.. Looked like a funky aerial or something..

17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ah! I never noticed he posted pictures from that day.
    Yes, I met Roger at Dave Burnham Citroen.. that photo is both #1180 and me standing by the open hood.
    And those are the correct numbers from 1180.
    The numbers of 1196 are 550109 and 25274.
    Both are US spec 5-speeds and live within 20 miles of each other.
    - Art

rga and AMLC like this.
  18. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #9118 AMLC, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Great, thanks for these numbers.

The photo was posted by Roger from Switzerland, member "rga" on this forum. He found the photo on the Internet, I don't know where on the Internet (see post 8596, page 344)..
    If there is also a Roger at Dave Burnham Citroen that's probably someone else. :)

71Satisfaction, rga and Nembo1777 like this.
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I met Roger...in Zurich Switzerland, he is NOT in the US, could not even visit now with travel shut down.

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

Hello Achim,

Annello d'arresto per guida valvole means stop ring for valve guide. You seem to have modified a few things, could there be unintended consequences?

21. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

010 likes this.
  23. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Strange that the right intake cam cover is from a wet sump engine. Easily fixed. Such a shame she has only done 300 miles in 8 years or so. Seems rather a waste!

24. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Nice catch Mark... I didn't notice that at first!

Mike

25. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005