Need your feedback on this 328 that is for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need your feedback on this 328 that is for sale

Discussion in '308/328' started by MikeInPeoria, Dec 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeInPeoria

MikeInPeoria Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Hernandez
    I've been thinking along those exact same lines. I'm looking at two 1983 308s (one w/44,000 miles the other with 27,000) as "project" cars. Neither are the euro version, which I prefer. In any case, I like to tinker and I think they would be fun to work on. I also like the vintage controls a lot.

I'm also looking at a 328 ('88 with 39,000 miles) with the concave wheels in excellent condition. I love the look of the 328 with the painted smaller bumpers.

I'm flying out this weekend to see a 1989 328 with 29,000 miles that's immaculate. So, do I spend the $20k-$30k additional for the 328 or tinker with a 308? I can't go wrong either way.

I'm also inclined to buy one through a dealer that has recently inspected and performed the 15k/30k service versus taking a gamble on a car through an individual since this is my first time buying a 308/328.

2. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    IMHO it really depends on what the price for the other two 308 cars are.

3. MikeInPeoria

MikeInPeoria Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Hernandez
  4. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    That 75k one looks almost new, but the other one looks nice too... man that's a tough choice.

I'd have an independent check out the 59k one and if it was good to go, that's probably the one I would go for. But I'm not as concerned with mileage so if that factors in then I don't know.

Seems like you're probably good with any decision... just depends on what you want the most... not helpful I know but... it's a tough call :)

5. MikeInPeoria

MikeInPeoria Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Hernandez

I can get a PPI done by Craig Calder from Fast Cars in Redondo Beach for $500 - compression and leak down of the engine adds $200. That is, if I can get someone to take the car to their location, which is approx 40 mins away. That way, I'll have a much better idea of what's needed..I'm sure a 30k service at a minimum.

6. kurtbob

kurtbob Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Augusta, GA
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I have a 1987 that I bought in December 2013 with 25,000 miles. The previous owner only drove it 9k miles in 19 years. The major service had not been done in many years, so I bought it contingent on a major being done. When I got hold of the old timing belts, they looked almost perfect. I think the dealer recommendation of changing them every 5 years regardless of mileage is overkill. There is nothing peculiar or unique about Ferrari timing belts.

Since purchasing the car, I have put 7k miles on it in 7 years. I try to drive it at least a couple times a month. It has been virtually trouble free. The only things I've had to replace are a bad spark plug wire, and a plastic connector on the headlight lift mechanism. I do the maintenance myself and use ethanol free gas.

7. MikeInPeoria

MikeInPeoria Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Hernandez

Sounds like an awesome 328! Did you buy from a private seller or a dealer?

8. kurtbob

kurtbob Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Augusta, GA
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I bought from a private individual. My preference is to buy from an individual; that way I can look him in the eye and get the full story about the car. A dealer will often tell you only what he wants you to hear. In addition, taxes are much lower when you buy from a private party in Georgia (where I live).

I think the car you showed in your original post was above Market Value. I am considering selling mine in the next few months, and it's a #2 condition car worth about $67k according to Hagerty.

9. MikeInPeoria

MikeInPeoria Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Hernandez
    Yes, actually, I think all of the 328s I'm looking at are way overpriced. I'd be interested in knowing more about yours. :)

10. kurtbob

kurtbob Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Augusta, GA
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    If you'd like to discuss mine in more detail, it might be best to do it offline. My email is [email protected]

Thanks,
    Kurt

11. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I don't think you'd be looking at 30k at all for the lower priced one. I mean if the car didn't drive and already had some major mechanical issue then yeah you might be in the 20k or so ball park.But just looking at the pictures it looks pretty clean to me.

It's a 4-valve so you don't need to worry about the sodium valves (like the situation I'm in). My guess you get the inspection and it's ok the service history is in order... you probably need to do a minor service and drive the thing, 40k miles just isn't that many miles. I know it is in Ferrari terms but it's simply not that many miles... I would suspect that thing runs nearly as well as it did with zero miles.

12. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall

13. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    In one of the great coincidences, this is almost exactly how I bought and prepared my 87 GTS that I purchased over 10 years ago. I had the PPI done out west where the car was in the hands of another F-Chatter. Then I had I shipped to my trusted mechanic here in NC and had a POST purchase inspection BEFORE I drove it. He discovered and sorted out shaft shifter leak and a couple of other things that were minor. My car had had a belt service a couple of years prior to purchase. You get a great mechanic like the late Terry Meeler and trust him to do things right. Annual fluids, etc. about $ 1,000 a year. Get the steering rack and suspension stuff done when it's needed. Get the spark plug wire done right (in Colorado for me) and keep on top of hoses, connections, and seals. When you get your major get all of the "while you are in there stuff", including water pump done. My car has 69,000 miles, is solid as a rock, and turns heads everywhere. I'll never sell it. Good luck with purchase, Keith

14. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    I started off looking for an 85 308 QV, but ended up with an 86 328 instead because it was very local and serviced by my mechanic. I much prefer the concave wheels over the convex wheels of the latter 328s.

As for 308 vs 328, I actually prefer the rear and the rear 3/4 view from the 328, as well as the head on view. The 308 profile is just gorgeous (I like the pointy front) as well as the front 3/4 view.

The 328 engine is glorious when you really wind it out on a twisty back road.

Pricing for a decent example of either should be in the $67,000-$75,000 range I would think, +/- a couple of bucks.