NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 161 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    F1tommy, If I may ask, what is the ballpark shipment cost for a Hiro 1/12 from Japan to USA, and do they package the model kit well, with plenty of protection? Thanks.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I would contact Hiro for shipping. They give a 10 % discount for pre orders and the whole thing cost around $720.00 including shipping with the discount. That's cheaper than any vendor I have seen. Never had any issues with packing.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Only direct and limited. Try him on facebook.

Giovanni Castello

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    bradyward, RemcoB and gt4me like this.
  5. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Looks great but Pocher/Hornby has still not released the Mercedes SLR announced in 2018 yet.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  7. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    That was quietly canceled some time ago.

8. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    The LeGrand Mercedes SLR will be released this summer, it was the 300SL Gullwing that Hornby backed out of and subsequently released by Eaglemoss, it was also released fully assembled in a few colors.

bradyward, the_stig and Lusso123 like this.
  9. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    There's a lot of talk surrounding the upcoming release of the Pocher Lotus 72 about the popularity of the 1:8 scale kits with older builders. Also some comments about which are some of the better kits and the drawbacks of the part-work subscriptions.
    I wish that the distribution of these kits was better and that kits were not so limited by region. Also wish that one of the major companies involved - Model Space - wasn't so much of a crap shoot when it comes to customer service. They need to be less of a call center and more of an actual company before I'd be comfortable dealing with them.

bradyward and Lusso123 like this.
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Tamiya is doing the Senna in 1/24th scale. Of all the cars they could have done they pick maybe the ugliest sportscar in production.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JOEV, Rosey, furmano and 1 other person like this.
  11. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Totally agree with the Stig; if there's a defect in one of the subscription issues it takes weeks or months to acquire a replacment-if it arrives at all-i'm currently waiting three months now for a replacement for defective paint on a GT40 door. It appears ALL of these companies rely on IXO,and others to tool and manufacture the models , so why can't any company offer worldwide shipping, distribution is done by fullfillemtn centers anyway.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It is really to bad they don't sell world wide. Maybe it has something to do with the news stand EU tax laws as they are all sold thru news stands to get around tax. The parent company Hachette seems to be the one coordinating alot of these models.

13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Hachette is definitely the big player and it's a bit weird how some of the models seem to have been "shopped around" before being available. I think it's also very weird how some, notably Centauria, have not been marketed at all in North America, maybe not even in other big markets. I also think that Pocher's marketing stinks. Look at the list of "stockists" on their web site and there are only a handful of small local hobby shops listed while the one specialty dealer - Brady Ward - isn't even listed.
    I think Pocher have, so far, not cashed in on the surge in big scale models very well. They announced back with the Hornby acquisition that they would be re-releasing models from their back catalog which they haven't done and now say is unlikely to happen. They under-produced the Lamborghinis as demonstrated by the very high prices in the secondary market. I think they should be announcing and producing 3-4 new models per year and instead we've had one in, what, 3 years in the car sector?
    Oh and as far as pricing - I hadn't thought through the newsagent tax angle but that makes a lot of sense. That is a problem for the US market and helps to explain why the part-work kits are SO much more expensive here than they are in Europe.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Wondering just how much of that kit is taken from the one that they mastered years ago for Black Box Prototypes?

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  17. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Tamiya should make a kit of the Ferrari J50. Better looking than the Senna and it has a connection to Japan. 1/12 would be cool.

18. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    Hi,
    Does anybody knows what happened to the 1/24 kit of the Ferrari 750 Monza that was supposed to be on the market by Fisher or someone else ?
    thanks

19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    If it was indeed Fisher - and I don't know if it was or wasn't - Paul Fisher lost everything in one of the fires in California. Everything. Home, workshop, molds, patterns, the lot. He's alive and well but his current full-time occupation is fighting for a fair settlement on what was lost. He's of an age where starting over again might be more than he wants to take on but that's just my opinion not based on anything from him.

20. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    Yes I heard about this terrible news...
    As far as I remember the 750 Monza was a collaboration with another model builder, Escuderia24 that seems to not exist anymore.
    it's lost somewhere...

21. humberto rosario

humberto rosario Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    macau, china
    Full Name:
    humberto rosario
  22. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name: