Official book collectors thread | Page 128 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I apologize for lack of effort/time to search through this or similar threads, but I'm currently going (slowly) through Jess Pourret's "Ferrari Legend" and was wondering if anyone here would be able to recommend a one or two good reading material about TdF's (of the '50s), the races, not the cars ?

At the moment, I'm not (yet) too interested in actual results, details/technicalities of the cars or various circuits involved, etc, but more like well described/written (first-hand ?) accounts of adventures/experiences, either by a drivers, navigators or team members, etc.

2. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    I guess you have to buy Driver biography's to get an idea of how they look back on those races:

Ai piloti di un tempo - Ricordi di Eros Crivellari
    Starting grid to checkered flag, Paul Frère
    Mario Casoni - Ufficiale cavaliere
    Quatre fois vainqueur au mans, Olivier Gendebien
    Willy Mairesse - Le chevalier meurtri

Hugo

TTR and Marcel Massini like this.
  3. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    #3178 Sharknose, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    https://www.abebooks.com/9782950073815/tour-France-automobile-1899-1986-2950073816/plp

It's also available at Horton's.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Of these, which one or two might offer most recollections to their experiences regarding TdF specifically and preferably in English ?

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If the Mairesse biography becomes available in English I would buy it.

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It is bilingual. French but with the English translation in the back.

of2worlds and Jack-the-lad like this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you. I’ll look for it. It’ll be a good companion to the Richie Ginther and Phil Hill biographies.

8. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Juli likes this.
  9. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    The publisher’s website now says this:

PUBLICATION DATE April 2021Unfortunately there have been delays with this very exciting project and it has become rather bigger than originally planned – it will be worth the wait!

10. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Not sure another Enzo book, even if it is a Doug Nye production, is all that necessary. Between the Luca Dal Monte book and the Phil Hill books DCN edited I'm good for now.

I wish he'd get on with BRM Vol.4 though...

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
  12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I picked up on that from the title......

13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    True :) :)

But not so much from the books description.

DESCRIPTION:

Following Evro Publishing's acclaimed photo memoirs of John Surtees and Stirling Moss, the appealing format of these books - wonderful photos with insightful narrative - is applied to the greatest figure in 20th century motor racing. In the aftermath of the Second World War, Enzo Ferrari went into motor racing with magnificent V12-engined cars and very quickly achieved unparalleled success in Formula 1 and sports cars, and built magnificent road cars too. In this book, published on the 70th anniversary of the first Ferrari car, expert author Doug Nye explores the life and achievements of this enigmatic man through a splendid array of photos, many not previously published, and accompanying commentary. Early years: aftermath of the Great War, budding racing driver and Alfa Romeo employee, then emerging as shrewd businessman. Scuderia Ferrari: his own team, first racing Alfa Romeos for wealthy clients, then 'quasi-works' cars, achieving considerable success through the 1930s. Second World War: doing well from industrial production of machine tools - and surviving a contract assassination plan.\ Rapid emergence of his own Ferrari marque post-war: six consecutive Mille Miglia wins from 1948; first Le Mans win in 1949; double World Champions in 1952-53. \All-round racer: at his autocratic and spectacular best through the pinnacle years in the 1950s and 1960s - then rescue by Fiat from near bankruptcy. Advancing years: racing focuses on Formula 1 and road-car manufacture shifts from exotic boutique production to significant volume. Final years: on top of the world with new models, and even higher personal status as Italian elder statesman and national icon.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It's been out and available since November 2020 and sitting on my shelf.
    Two volume book in a cardboard box. A photo book showing a pic of a Ferrari in each of the 1'000 Grand Prix.
    No chassis numbers listed.
    Foreword by Louis Camilleri and Mattia Binotto.
    Book starts with GP Monaco 21 May 1950 and a photo showing Alberto Ascari in a 125 F1.
    Book is available from Giorgio Nada Editore in Vimodrone (Milan), Italy.
    It is called "Ferrari 1000 GP - The Official Book".
    ISBN #978-88-7911-823-1.

Marcel Massini

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Ferrari 1000 GP Il libro ufficiale / The official book
    Product Code 47157
    £ 150
    SOLD OUT

Saying it's sold out from the official Ferrari Store.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I ordered it on Amazon for $250, but they claim it will not be available until April 6. That gives me a chance to cancel if I find it for less before then.

18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I ordered one through my local motoring bookshop and they said it will be in stock mid February.
    Weird how it says they are sold out at the Ferrari website.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Available from Giorgio Nada Editore in Vimodrone (Milan), Italy.

Marcel Massini

20. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #3196 Nembo1777, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Hello all:

FYI

-The English language version of the book on Charles Pozzi the man, the team, the importer written by Arnaud Meunier is going to be printed Monday 11 January and will be ready January 28 with deliveries going out from the first week in February.

The book will be available for pre-order on the website next week.

I translated it French to English and we added some of my own Pozzi content, Arnaud did a great job, this book fills a gap in Ferrari libraries because it is the first one on France's point man and enterprise which built Ferrari's success and image in France on the track and in sales, in one of Maranello's most important markets.

http://www.eaurougepublishing.com/publications/detail/charles-pozzi

-In other Eau Rouge Publishing news I finished the de Tomaso Mangusta book text in December at over 100000 words, this obviously is a text heavily centred on the Mangusta with also a very comprehensive Vallelunga chapter. We have tons of excellent unpublished archive photos, I drove four Mangustas in Belgium and Austria, as well as perhaps the best restored Vallelunga in the world near Zurich, all of which were the subject of new professional photoshoots and more importantly I interviewed anyone worth interviewing in Italy, Europe, UK and USA in 2011-2014 before other books somehow took priority. All that remains now is the final photo selection and captions something publisher Doug Bair and I normally do together in a three day blitz but with travel restrictions it is a bit challenging. We certainly aim to have it ready for Retromobile which as you know will take place early June this year, I will post again when it gets printed.

Below photo of the day I interviewed Giorgetto Giugiaro in Turin in May 2014 between Monaco Historic GP and Mille Miglia, Copyright yours truly, and photo of a yellow Mangusta during my test drive in Belgium taken by Dirk de Jager, Copyright Eau Rouge Publishing.

Here the link to the book in the Eau Rouge Publishing website:

http://www.eaurougepublishing.com/publications/detail/detomaso-mangusta

Anecdotally Giugiaro had his son's Mangusta brought into headquarters for our interview photo op and he had not sat in it for years. When he did he laughed and said Ma how did I manage to build a car that is so tight inside!:)

That same day in the morning in the center of Turin I interviewed the late Tom Tjaarda for background de Tomaso information, equally interesting.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    The Mangusta book sounds great, look forward to that!

Lusso123, Nembo1777 and Sharknose like this.
  23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes I also look forward to the Mangusta book. I hope you have some period shots in color of the gold prototype Mangusta 5000. I have another version of the Pozzi book already.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you both, FYI the Pozzi English language book is heavily updated with additional material such as my very extensive interview of Jean Claude Andruet on his years racing for Pozzi at Le Mans and in 308 Rally cars.

Jack-the-lad, Ferri and F1tommy like this.
  25. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I am greatly looking forward to this book, and will definitely order when available....

Also Marc, this would be perfect to show in our magazine AutoMobilia - The Collectors Resource. I'll put in it our 'News' section once it is published.

Nembo1777 likes this.