Daytime Running Light bulb replacement | FerrariChat

Daytime Running Light bulb replacement

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Yenko, Jan 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yenko

Yenko Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I am almost embarrassed to post this as it seems like it should be straight forward. One of my DRL bulbs on my Canadian 1990 TR has blown. I removed the upper amber lens and the two screws behind it which hold the light housing and cant seem to get any farther and the housing can be moved slightly. I thought the housing would come right out and I don’t want to start prying hard on the housing because I don’t want to break it or scratch the paint. Am I missing something? A hidden bolt someplace? Does anyone out there know?

2. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    There is a rubber "insulator" that goes around a projection on the backside of the bulb housing. My housings were VERY stuck in place after 30 years. If you want to push on the projection from the driver side, you can remove the screws underneath the tray that covers the AC condensor and get to it from there. On the passenger side, you would need to pull the battery and reach in from that side, as the tray on that side is riveted in place (not screwed). Either way, you don't worry quite as much about breaking a 1500 housing when you know it is freed up.

Hope that helps?

Yenko likes this.
  3. Yenko

Yenko Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Awesome, thanks for the insight. When I get back to my warehouse (where I keep the car) I will give that a try. As you noted, I don't want to worry about a $1,500 light housing. LOL

4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There is a large spring-steel clip that also holds the assembly in and it is a bit difficult to overcome. I use a large flat screwdriver to pry that clip away from the housing and then it usually comes out fairly easily. As stated the rubber grommet can also get stuck. Do yourself or a future owner a favor and spread a little Sil-Glide (or other grease) on the ID of the grommet before installation. I've been looking for 3 years now for a replacement (driver side, USA version) to no avail.... :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Yenko

Yenko Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Awesome.. It is great to have a pic from behind the light. I will be heading over to the garage in the next few days and have another go at it. Thank you for posting the picture!!!

6. Yenko

Yenko Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Keith
    302Tim, That picture helped me immensely. I turned the headlights on, turned off the battery switch and took off the headlight housing. It gave me enough room to push the housing out from behind with a long screwdriver. Piece of cake when you know what is behind it! Thank you!