Is it OK to start my car just to let it idle a bit? | FerrariChat

Is it OK to start my car just to let it idle a bit?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Jan 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I got my 360 out a few days ago, but is it ok to start it up and just let it idle 10 minutes so that the fluids can circulate, then shut it off? it's cold here right now, although it is in its own heated garage.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No! That is the worst thing you can do. If you are going to run the car, take it out for a good 30 minutes at least.

When you start the car in cold weather, the moisture in the engine will condense to water. If you don't run the engine long enough to void the water, it will mix with the oil and form sludge. The heated garage might make a difference if it is warm enough, but I wouldn't do it, at least not on a regular basis.

HotShoe, JohnnyRay, tomc and 2 others like this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It is better to just connect your battery tender and leave off until you can drive to get oil up in temp to get rid of any moisture.... depending temperature and driving habits ..that could be 7 to 20 miles

Leaving it on a battery tender for the next 3 4 months without starting is your best bet if you are going for a nice drive

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Nospinzone likes this.
  4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Great to know! Thanks everyone!

5. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What they said. Spot on advice.
    I know a lot of posts say "Ferrari's don't like to sit for long periods of time".
    Due to some health problems, and a move, my '99 360 sat for 6 months without being started in 2019. It was on a battery tender and fired right up after the 6 month rest. No problems.
    15 years ago I had a 348 while living and working in south america. The car sat at my place in California for 6 months at a time, being driven every six months when we were home for a break. Other than the usual 348 gremlins, the idle time of six months didn't seem to matter. Did this for 5 years.
    Drive it or don't start it.

Nospinzone and Texas Forever like this.
  6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Some of my cars were literally used in this manner for decades when I live in Minnesota full time. When you include all of "salt season" that's about how long you have to avoid the roads in the winter if you truly want to preserve the vehicle...

7. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I visited Boardwalk Ferrari (Plano, TX) a few times in December 2019.

They would start every showroom Ferrari every week and let each idle for 15-20 minutes...no driving...no moving...idling...for 15-20 minutes...

Imagine the dilemma.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So that's why the battery dies shortly after purchase.

Dane likes this.
  9. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I had to move my 488 out of my winter storage garage while the building was having work done. I was less than happy having to drive it down my salted driveway. Albeit it wasn’t far, but more than anything I don’t like “dry starting” an engine once the car is put up for the year. It will be moved back up tonight and I’ll be damned to start it again until I can actually drive the car.