Speciale Exhaust Mod | FerrariChat

Speciale Exhaust Mod

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ThankfulGuy, Jan 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    OK.. Soooooo... the car is s done deal... Speciale however, doesnt have that Italia sweet scream. So... as if the car wasnt just PERFECT as is... Im acting as if it's a video game experience and I ABSOLUTELY MUSSSST... modify the exhaust.

So..

ICONEL or not... Im thinkin yes.. and with that yes... Im looking at Kline full exhaust with 200 race cats... (Im told the 100 cats have a gasoline smell when sitting still). Novitech is just to proud of their pipes... I mean.. when it comes down to it... that's what we're talkin about right?

Capristo... awesome craftsmanship... but not the high pitched sound Im going for.

So for my mod brothers and sisters.. who just arent satisfied with perfection... what say you of the Kline iconel system... yea or nay... and if nay... what would you suggest otherwise?

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've consulted with the mod brothers & sisters and they all say "Yes to Inconel and Yes to Kline!"

Novitech is very good also.

I've re-welded cracked brackets on Capristo exhausts before. Not sure about their 458 exhausts, but usually their exhaust systems are nice sounding.

As far as the cats, I'm not sure why 100 vs. 200 cell cats would produce a gas smell - unless perhaps the mixture at the downstream O2 sensor is throwing off the air fuel ratio at the ECU or something (or just not fully burning something in the exhaust stream). But unless you want the car to be super loud, I would stick with 200 cell as they should flow plenty well enough. I ran 200 cell on my 360 and it was fine. No check engine lights or anything.

Keep in mind that the Speciale exhaust note tends to be more aggressive in nature than the 458's exhaust note. I have heard 458 Speciales with custom exhausts and to me they just sound loud, not better.

As far as material: either SS or Inconel is fine. I'd ask the guys building your exhaust for more into. Inconel has more nickel in the alloy and tends to be superior at higher temps. But stainless is very good too. I just built a full stainless exhaust system for my truck and I used 304SS on most all of it - works just fine :) But given that you are doing the full exhaust (so I presume headers as well correct?), I'd probably opt for Inconel myself.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  3. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    THANK YOU FOR CONSULTING WITH THE MOD BROS AND SISTARS and summarizing the final opinions so succintly my Brotha.... yes... such a shame that the one dig against that beautiful machine is the exhaust note. Im hoping that the x-pipe exhaust gas mixture at the muffler will give a bit sweeter note. Yes... headers will be included. Novitech is good... considering I can purchase the whole Kline exhaust system from the rooter to the tooter for less than the Novitech headers or the muffler... I'd need that baby to be WHISTLIN DIXIE when I went full throttle on that baby at a full system price damn near 30K.

I love the Capristo sound... heard on on the F12, but it tends to register in the lower more baritone range. I need some HIGH ALTO coming out the rear when Im takin care of business. hahahah

boy of boy... Im excited... but I really drive like a grandpa on the road. I just wanna know I can make her sing with a few down shifts when the mood strikes me.

Thanks a million for your thoughts and that of the MOD COUNCIL. I'll let ya know what I ultimately decide.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I researched quite a bit as well for my previous Speciale.... decided upon IPE full system headers back.
    Perfect F1 sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milanojess, xfrgtr, Ryan13 and 2 others like this.
  5. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I came. :(

ThankfulGuy and plastique999 like this.
  6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    That sounds INCREDIBLE!

plastique999 and ThankfulGuy like this.
  7. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Oh GRRRRREAT... make my life more complicated, after I found peeve with my decision.

Boy,.. that sounded quite delightful.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

plastique999 likes this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Just keep in mind, nothing you do to the V8 will ever really get you the scream you hear from something like the F12 with an exhaust. It's just like with the older 355 motors - install a Tubi and it sounds like an F1 car. With the 458 it's just a lower pitch due to the differences in the motor.

Ray

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well, the IPE full system on the Speciale is quite high pitched, similar to the S line exhausts on 458’s and Scuds. I thought it was near perfect F1 sound.
    When I traded my S for a TDF, you are Right! 12 cylinders just makes more angels sing.

ThankfulGuy and RayJohns like this.
  10. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    TMI BROH.... TMIIII... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

plastique999 likes this.
  11. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Oh so NOW you're telling me I have to buy an F12 too... I gotta leave this group. It could get expensive. hahahaha

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    just put 100 cell cats on a Stock Speciale exhaust system

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  13. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    great... what have found to be the benefit. Decreased flow leading to increased power? Is there a significant sound difference? Improvement. How about smell. I was warned that at stop lights with windows down catless and 100 cell could have the smell of gasoline. I like to know if any Check Engine Light issues as well. Sorry for the rapid fire interrogation... but Im kinda excited that you are experiencing what Im contemplating.

I am curious, of all the mods to place on the stock exhaust... why only that.

14. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Looks like a thread for me, I'm quite familiar with Speciale aftermarket exhausts so hope I can help.

When considering what parts of the exhaust system to install and the impacts they will have:
    1. Headers: will increase volume slightly. Won't change pitch. Will unlock a lot of power if you decide to tune
    2. Cats: will increase volume dramatically if you go less restrictive or decat. Will add a more popping or gurgling noises. Will throw a CEL without a tune (possibility of CEL even with 200cell cats)
    3. Muffler: can increase volume noticeably if you go with a system with weaker mufflers. This part will be the primary influencer on the pitch of the 458.
    Most people go with a cat + muffler replacement of some sorts. Headers are less common since they are usually over 50% of the cost of the entire system alone.

Brands differ in terms of approach. Some go for pitch, others volume. This has been my observations from all the systems I've heard.

Pitch (highest to low):
    1. IPE, S-line, FI
    2. Novitec, Kline
    3. Capristo
    4. Akrapovic
    5. Tubi
    Volume (high to low):
    1. S-Line, Tubi
    2. IPE, FI, Capristo, Novitec
    3. Kline
    4. Akrapovic
    Finally, I have a full header-back Kline inconel system with 200 cell cats on my Speciale, along with their valve controller. Been really impressed with it so far. It's louder than stock but not painful. I never received a CEL but do note that some cars will receive them occasionally even with aftermarket cats.

Hope this helps.

MTribe, ThankfulGuy and soulsea like this.
  15. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    OOOOOOOOOOH MYYYYYYYYYYYYY GODNESS.... THIS IS THE MOTHERLOAD OF SPECIALE EXHAUST INTEL. YOU ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR. Im sitting here...painstakingly watching Speciale videos... with several exhaust set ups, some sound quality great, other's horrible. Not really knowing which way to go.

NOT ONLY have you given an accounting of which systems, but answered succinctly my question regarding what influence on sound/volume do each of the components provide.

quick question. On the spec for the car Im closing on, it makes note that there are "titanium exhaust pipes". Is this an option or do all Speciales some with such.

the car in question

https://www.ferrarili.com/inventory/pre-owned-2015-ferrari-458-speciale-speciale-rwd-2d-coupe-zff75vfa9f0207025

16. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those titanium "exhaust pipes" are just short tip extensions thru the bumper, it was an option but has no effect on the sound or power, the actual muffler tubes are a smaller dia than the tip extensions.

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  17. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Congrats.
    IPE is the best system.

plastique999 and ThankfulGuy like this.
  18. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Gotcha. Going to see car tomorrow.

tickerhound likes this.
  19. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    That sound can’t be BEAT.

xfrgtr likes this.
  20. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Hey obbob.... did you tune as well after the exhaust mods? If so can you share how?

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    To answer your questions regarding IPE full system....
    No smell of gas in cabin at all...behind the car yes, you can smell it. This was with full decat.
    In regards to CEL, I would say I’d receive a CEL maybe every couple hundred miles. Simply cleared it with an OBDII scanner (kept one in the car).

22. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I didn't tune it. But if you want to tune, I suggest getting a tune from a reputable tuner such as DME.

If all you want to do is prevent a CEL, then consider an OBD Wizard from Capristo. It's an OBD device that will clear any emissions related CEL that appears while it is plugged in.

Note that with 200 cell cats, even if you do get a CEL, as long as you have an OBD tool to manually clear it, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle because it will probably be a very long time before it appears again. This is different than decat where it will reappear everytime it reaches enough driving distance to do a proper reading.

You can reduce the chance of a CEL further by using minicat o2 extenders from BigDaddyGarage or Fabspeed.

In regards to IPE, IPE was the most popular Speciale setup. It's the highest pitch, but it loses the lower notes that you will hear from Novitec or Kline (the latter two sound like they play two notes at once, while IPE will scream a single high pitch note, if that makes sense).

Up to you what you feel you would like most.

plastique999 likes this.
  23. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    plastique999 and tickerhound like this.
  24. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I really wanted that Blue Elettrico Pista. I saw it it GRP last summer and never pulled the trigger. The lack of alcantara on the interior and the rear segment not in CF was an issue. I also had the Blue Sterling leather in my 812. Tyler at LFSC ended up finding me a loaded Rosso Fiorano car just before Christmas that I bought.

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  25. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Yes. Makes sense. thanks. Image Unavailable, Please Login

3604u and tickerhound like this.