Ristorante Cavallino in Maranello closed permanently? | FerrariChat

Ristorante Cavallino in Maranello closed permanently?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rumen1, Jan 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Today someone told me that Ristorante Cavallino in Maranello is closed permanently. Does anyone know if that's true, or it's only until the pandemic problems soften? I haven't been in Maranello last yer for obvious reasons, but that was my favorite place there...

2. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    My silver subscription has expired and I can't open this. Can you tell me what it says with several words?

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Can you believe it? That's just ridicolous. Tha favourite and iconic restaurant, the one that Enzo personally gave the permission to use the Prancing Horse... To who was really a problem that they used it? Several of the stupid Ferrari lawyers? On top of that the factory employees were eating there permanently. It's just ridicolous in what world are we living at the moment. Very sad.

Lusso123 likes this.
  4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Amazing really, one would think that some things are so harmless to be left alone.....apparently not.

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    We had lunch there years ago on our first visit to the factory since we read this was the place to go. The service was good and the decor is nice, but the food was only acceptable (nothing I couldn't get in an American restaurant). Although it was a decent meal, to put it in perspective, it was the next to worst of all the meals we have eaten in Italy. I know there were Ferrari personnel also dining at the same time, but I'm sure they didn't get the same food we ate. Maybe because we were obvious American tourists they felt we didn't know food any better, but we did.

Maybe this was an aberration, but we didn't give them a second chance. Since then we've only dined at Ristorante Montana when we are in town.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Massimo Bottura is not just about Osteria Francescana and complex three star cuisine. He has done some pretty remarkable things to counter food waste and to feed the homeless.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/21/massimo-bottura-feed-the-hungry-food-for-soul

Personally I wouldn’t want to be having an overwrought three star meal for lunch after a factory visit, and maybe the new restaurant will reflect this. Cavallino was just fine for me.

But the comments in the other thread about this being another empty Ferrari/branding exercise are wide of the mark. Bottura is Italy’s greatest chef and by some measures the world’s greatest, as well as a thoughtful man who puts his money where his mouth is. Why shouldn’t the world’s greatest car brand have a restaurant to match?

Incidentally as anyone who has visited knows, BMW have an ok Michelin starred restaurant at their Munich museum. Mercedes have a dreadful pretentious offering at their Stuttgart museum. Let’s hope it doesn’t go that direction.

paulchua and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Honestly - I have always liked the meals there. Me and my wife go to Maranello at least twice a year (except for last year obviously) and we go there every single day from our stay. It was my favorite place in Maranello mostly because of the atmosphere and the history. For me it was very important, that it was kept in its original condition without major interior changes. The same way as the old factory gates. This was something, that (at least on my opinion) Ferrari should have tried to keep alive as long as possible and not the opposite. Damn, that company is really getting worse in that direction...

See this video (after 40:40), Enzo even used the restaurant to sign the Concorde Agreement there.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Ristorante Montanna is way better agree! Kinda sad for the history however.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’d like it if Massimo went in more of a rustic direction with the menu at whatever Cavallino will now be called. By the way, there’s an interesting article in the current The Road Rat about Enzo’s favorite restaurants in Maranello, Modena, and nearby villages.

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You bring up an interesting point about favorite restaurants when you mention Enzo's favorites. When I posted that we didn't have a great meal at Cavallino, I was cautious to write that our experience may have been an aberration. In America many restaurants are either owned by a chain, or if an individual, may change ownership frequently. And even if individual ownership doesn't change, chefs may regularly change. So the continuity of quality may vary greatly.

My experience in Italy is many restaurants are family owned and are passed down to the family over many years. Consequently the quality of the food is much more consistent than I will see in the US. So the restaurants mentioned that article you reference were ones Enzo dined at well over 30 years ago. My guess all or most of them still maintain the same quality that he experienced.

These days I'm very cautious about recommending a US restaurant to friends because I've had occasions where friends dined there and wanted me to give them their money back! :D

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  12. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    It's just sad.

Lusso123 and paulchua like this.
  13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    glad i have eaten at both of them a few times.

i do agree that montana was better tho.

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    SadSadSad

paulchua likes this.
  15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What is going in its place?

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I visited the factory in May of 2017 and stayed in Maranello for two nights at the Planet Hotel. It was a very quiet time of year to visit. My first night there, I ate the Ristorante Cavallino and I was the only person there that raining evening. The food was, well, awful, which shocked me. I was expecting it to be superb, genuine Italian cuisine. I'll always remember what surprised me most - the bread, or rather the dinner rolls. They were hard as rock and reminded me of frozen, heat and serve rolls in the US, not great Italian bread. Agreed, Montanna was much better, yet still not what I would call "exceptional". Regardless, it was the history and significance that still made the experience at the Cavallino great. I'm very sad to see it go.

Nospinzone likes this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That bread is horrible yet is commonly served almost everywhere in Italy, an oddity, like cardboard however there is usually a choice with several wonderful breads. But yes it is the only thing I dislike in Italy's restaurants...

jpalmito and of2worlds like this.
  18. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I really don't understand why people say that. I have eaten there so many times ( at least 60) and the food was always great. Not that it matters now.... But in Montana they wanted to tell me what to eat, instead of the opposite, which was definitely not to my liking. To be honest the italian food in general is not too good, but that's a different story.

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Extra butter on my popcorn please.

rampante550 likes this.
  20. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Never heard anyone say that but there is always a first time for everything.

rampante550, 375+, Nospinzone and 3 others like this.
  21. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Had a great time in October 2019. 13 of us took a dream trip and saw everything and ate everything. Cavallino was good, not great but good. Montana was great!

I'm just happy we kind of made it in the nick of time before the world got turned upside down by the virus and also to have the experience of a meal in the genuine Cavallino restaurant was great!

Like all things, this had run its course and it was time to move on to bigger and better things. I just hope Massimo Bottura doesn't turn it into an overpriced-must-reserve-online-3-months-ahead type of place. It's nice that it was more of a daytime lunch place filled with tourists and Ferrari employees, it was a simple and genuine vibe.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+, Nospinzone and jpalmito like this.
  22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    rumen1 and Lusso123 like this.
  23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've been to Cavallino and Montana several times for lunch and dinner. the food at Cavallino is hit or miss. I've had great meals there - then bad meals. you have to order the local stuff... don't get a steak or anything like that. stick to the pasta, salad some cheese... Lambrusco and its great. do veal or lamb... not so good.

It's sad to see the historic Cavallino go. I missed out on the Neri Artcurial auction... some of the stuff went for crazy prices. ... but I have my empty Lambrusco and balsamic bottles from Cavallino ... as for Massimo Bottura ... his food is excellent so I'm hopeful it will be relaxed modern Italian.. which will match the cars.

if you get to eat at Osteria Franchscana ... you have to its really very very good. presentation is wacky, and the flavors are truly amazing.

375+ likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I was registered to bid and was outbid on every lot on my list--not even close. Given the provenance and pent-up demand by the well-heeled Retromobile crowd it's not surprising. There were nearly 600 registered online bidders, a small number bid in person and others bid via telephone. Commission plus VAT was approximately 30%.