Auto Shift Lever | FerrariChat

Auto Shift Lever

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Jan 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I do a lot of rallies with my '84 400i and during those rallies I often manually downshift D to 2, some of those shifts may be done "in anger"! During the Mountain Mille in October, I found the shift linkage a bit sloppy sometimes to the point where motor would not start when it appeared to be in N. This was lower down my list of winter R&R but it made it to top of list this weekend.

I first checked everything top side and there was absolutely no play in any of the linkage seen from the top with the shift plate off. When I went underneath, the large amount of play was very clear. See the diagram below; the green line points to the location af all of the play. Part #35 does not seem to be present, "bocalla elastica", elastic washer??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Rather than trying to locate the part, maybe same on a GM car, I found a hard plastic sleeve and cut it to a useful length, the ID and OD were about perfect to give maybe 1-2 mm of play. Note that rod #44 is about 6 mm in diameter and the hole in part #45 is about 20 mm. So you can see that I had a LOT of slop in linkage. It was an easy install and I thought I was done at least short term. Instead when I got back in the car the lever was in Park and I could only get to P and R, the lever would not go past R even with lever #9 depressed. Part #10 is clear of any stops on part #12. So I have two questions:

1. What does part #35 look like? hard rubber? I'm sure I can order the part from Summit racing if not a Ferrari source.
    2. Any idea why eliminating this play prevents me shifting past "R"?
    Thanks in advance. Ken

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    It's curious as I really like the 400i linkage. The handle is ugly as a sin, but what has prevented me from changing it to something with a better look is its excellent "feel".

I may have some problems with 2 or 1 when adjusting the linkage in the P position, so I try to adjust linkages in the D or N position, not P.

3. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi Ken, here's what item 35 looks like. Cheap and available from Ferrari UK. Can't help with your other issues though sorry, except to say I know someone with 2 shift handle mechanisms for sale if you get to that point. Good luck! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Thanks, I can get bushes near by. I think the piece I used is too rigid and is not allowing any "give".

5. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I have 2 bushes on order; it will be about a week to get them.

I have the lever shifting thru all gears now by playing around with linkage underneath. The homemade bushing took out almost all longitudinal play but it still allowed lateral play. I think the rod was hitting a piece of heat insulation that has come undone from the chassis. It should be easy to work out when I get the new bushing it.
    Ken

Tojo likes this.
  6. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Tojo
    I got bushes and looking at them I figured one 'flange' would be soft enough to force thru the lever hole and "in it goes". NOT! That rubber is really stiff and the fit is very tight. Have you or anyone else with an Auto ever been able to get this bushing into the lever without destroying one of the two flanges? I used lubricant and washers to do the bushing with a center bolt.

I ordered two bushings and only needed one for now. I got one into the lever but it is in pretty bad shape. If I had a good way to install it; I might remove this one and use the other one.
    Ken

7. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m afraid I’m no help Ken. My car is a manual. I just know the guy with the spare shifter assemblies he’s trying to get rid of. Sounds like you’re on the right track at least. Good luck, Tim

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat