Greetings after 18 months of ownership... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Greetings after 18 months of ownership...

Discussion in '308/328' started by DrScientist, Jan 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you both, now I understand. In a way, I guess a single belt has an advantage, at least if the the belt breaks, the alt. light will turn on to indicate that both alt and wp are not working.

3. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok I see, like you said the AC belt doesn’t count, got it.

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    To make a point here and not everyone is going to agree but on the two belt system the water pump belt requires an idler for tension. The idler is a small pulley with a bearing and outside of old age of the belt itself it is the single most common cause of belt failures. So all I'm saying is that if you have a single belt system I wouldn't go out of my way to convert to the two belt unless you are having some sort of recurrent issue. This is what was stated in the service bulletin.

miketuason likes this.
  5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

I did not know that

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It has to because there is no way to alter the distance between the water pump and crank pulleys. The alternator is on a pivot mount so tension is set by adjusting it and no idler is needed. I mention it because the only belt failure I have experienced was the A/C drive which also uses an idler tensioner and it was the idler bearing that seized and caused the failure.

miketuason likes this.
  7. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Paul, in almost 15 years of ownership of my 84 QV, I never had problem with the single belt but if I consider upgrading it to the two belts, besides the additional tensioner bearing , wouldn’t I need to change the crankshaft pulley with the extra groove to accommodate the second belt?

8. DrScientist

DrScientist Rookie

Feb 3, 2012
    Dane likes this.
  9. DrScientist

DrScientist Rookie

Feb 3, 2012
  10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes and while there was a factory service bulletin and kits were produced to make the alteration you will have a hard time finding the parts. You will also have to alter the position of the alternator to align with the new second pulley but it’s possible to do it if you really want to.

miketuason likes this.
  11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My "kit" was sourced from two cars in Rutland's wrecking yard. It took several months to find a second donor car and the last bit of everything needed to make the change. And this was about 16 years ago.