430 - Longest Trip in a Scuderia | FerrariChat

430 Longest Trip in a Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by bart12, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    For Scuderia Owners, how far have you driven your Scuderia for a trip.

I plan to do more road trips and its getting farther and farther.

I would like to use it for regular trips like 400 mi each way until I get tired of it. Ive been using it more often now and I am getting to like it more. I plan to put 100k miles on it then burry it in my yard.

2. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Did my longest trip a couple weekends ago with a few other cars, roughly 450 miles.

Car was comfortable throughout mind you I did we’re hearing protection some of the time (have S line).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not a scud, but a Stradale. Longest was 700 miles in one go, coming back from Maranello to Paris. No problem at all. Not more tired than if i had been in a BMW that i used to similar trips (South of France to Paris).
    The excitement of being in one of those cars more than make up the lack of super comfy seats or the dozens of gadgets.

E60 M5 likes this.
  4. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Thats why im going to start using this car and not just make it sit in my garage.
    This is my second scuderia and my last. Short term i believe it will take a hit. But long term it will even out or probably be more, especially if it builds valuable memorable experience.
    Life is short and kids grow fast. This is the time build memories.

5. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Do you have clearfilm? Texas is full of trucks and windy highways. I plan to put all the car in clear film, not just the front.

armedferret likes this.
  6. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I will start looking at the manual and see where all the fluids go.

Funny how i know how to maintain my porsche and dont even know how to put water in this thing.

7. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    i imagine the only drawback to long road trips in CS or SCUD would be lack of cruise control...

Manda racing, armedferret and VAF84 like this.
  8. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Love this! And I agree. Life is too short not to drive these things!

Il Tifoso and MRY like this.
  9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Ditto. I drove mine back from Scottsdale to Austin in 24 hours, I struggled through the last portion without cruise. Not bad on hour and a half road trips, but could use some lower lumbar support. Much better for road trips once I swapped out the head unit. Now it has Bluetooth, a phone holder, and usb charging.

armedferret likes this.
  10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Exactly. Memories. I still remember that trip and that was in 2005.

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I've driven it to Vegas and back a few times. About 350mi each way.

12. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I did Bullrun in 2004 in my Stradale. We were doing about 700-800 miles a day and were moving pretty damn fast the entire time. Hit top speed 3-4 times. Ended up at about 3100 miles in 5 days. Car ran perfect. Oh it was straight piped so it was just a little loud.

imahorse, Jda550911 and armedferret like this.
  13. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The entire car was just wrapped in clear film prior to that drive. Like you I plan to drive mine, but I want to keep the original paint as clean as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

armedferret likes this.
  14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Spider, so louder/noisier than the coupe. It's been on several 3000+ mile road trips.

15. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I did a rally once in mine, but the seats pinch my hips on long drives, so if I did do a long drive, I would have to take breaks. I'm tall and lean, but have wide hip bones, so a lot of seats do that to me which make it hard to do long trips. I have a GT3T with the 918 seats that I drove 3 hours back from getting the whole car clear bra'd, and I was super sore in the hip bones. Recaro speed V's, Shelby GT350 seats do the same thing.

I do love to drive though, and have accumulated almost 30k miles on my scud. I drive it atleast once a week super early in the morning before any traffic builds for a few hours. I stop and get a coffee as a break in the middle, and then drive some more. I put a lot of miles on my other cars too. I know it hurts the value, but I try to close my eyes to it and not care.

My scud has a full clear bra that is due to be replaced. I'm planning to just have the front clip, mirrors, lower rocker area under the door, and rear wheel arches done this time. I had the GT3T full cleared by an amazing tech because its black, and it shares DD duties where I cover it. I did the GT350 full clear bra myself. I did a good, but not great job. I wanted it full because it shares DD duty, and wanted to be able to put a cover on it at work rain or shine, and on windy days and not be able to scratch the paint. My cars that don't see covered life at work, I'm leaning towards having them professionally done, doing the fronts and high chip areas, and let the rest be exposed. None of my cars with be garage show queens since I put a lot of miles on them, so I'm going to try that approach. It is amazing what some of the really great ppf techs can do, but replacing full ppf on a bunch of cars every 5-10 years is costly.

bart12 and armedferret like this.
  16. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    You cannot make everything an investment. I have other things to pay for the car to enjoy. I made money on my first scuderia and it basically paid half of this car.

If i can put memories on top if it then this car has paid for itself.

17. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Regular F430, two consecutive 3000+ Euro trips (2018 & 19).
    Would have done the same last year, but that was 2020...................

18. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    2006 F430- Minneapolis, MN to Seabrook, Tx. (October 2020)

1580 miles one way. Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas. Some deviations here and there so some additional miles than a straight line trip. Took my brother in law to share the driving. Some gas stops, smoke breaks and a couple “car cooling” stops included. Stayed a night in KC and a night in Dallas. Car never skipped a beat.

Would do it again tomorrow if I could.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I think an f430 would be a better tourer unless it has the sport seats. The regular seats are comfy. Just cant figure out how to put a cruise control on it.

20. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I have driven from Zürich to Maranello and back in a day, circa 1,000 km in my CS, F430 Spider and Scuderia but you have to start very early and come back very late, best of those journeys by far was the F430 Spider, 180 kph in Italy with the roof down in the evening, unbeatable

21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    that's why a Spider is a better car

22. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I have not driven a Scud, but I was a passenger in one, and I learned what it must be like to be the navigator in the Dakar Rally. In SoCal the road surfaces are abysmal. The Scud suspension if such that you run over a dime and instantly know it was heads or tails. A kidney brace would be a virtual necessity as would serious hearing protection. In my 20s I would have gone after a car like the Scud. All performance,and no weight-inducing creature comforts. But at this stage in my life (and you will all get there eventually) it's simply abusive. To pay a substantial premium for that abuse seems inconceivable to me. But, to each his own. Experience is the best teacher.

I is a beautiful car, and I lust after those stripes. But I would go into additional debt for a 458 Italia with the DCT long before I would even consider a Scud.

Ray

Manda racing likes this.
  23. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Driving my 360 with sport seats and rubber bands for tires on a 700 mile trip was absolutely brutal. I felt every pebble on the road. I thought it was the dumbest idea ever when I was driving. Now however, I don't think I have better memories of a long drive than that. How ridiculously impractical it is is what makes it so fun. Drive your car. You only live once. I find it crazy how people will pay a dealership to maintain their car with an open checkbook, sometimes dropping $10k on a service, but are afraid of losing money from driving it.

armedferret likes this.
  24. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

David, you win, hands down, no question. Such a shame not to enjoy these cars. They are special. I hope to follow in your footsteps and put 30k (at least on mine) at which point it will have 90k miles!!!!!

25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    SF < > LA
    450mi, avg speed according to gps was 112mph =X