BBS FI | FerrariChat

BBS FI

Discussion in '360/430' started by Enzo Sebastian, Jan 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Hi guys,

not sure but I thought I asked this before, but can’t find my topic...

Anyone fitted BBS FI wheels on their F430?

2. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Had them on my M3 back when they came out. Incredible looking wheels and could feel the decrease in weight. I remember there being a Scud that had them on as well. Absolutely stunning.

honda corse likes this.
  3. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Thanks for the reply! Hmm yeah, I’m reading about fitment issues here and there, so really hesitating.

4. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    BBS specced them a hair too aggressive for the F430. They will fit, but you can't run really big tires on them, and, they may rub if you're lowered a hair. Over larger bumpers.

But, they still fit.

ShineKen likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Ive seen bbs fi in person on a Scud and looked carefully. Rear is indeed too aggressive. You’d have to raise the car, go aggressive camber, or run a skinnier/slightly stretched tire.

6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I have a set of FI and FI-R.
    I heard they are too aggressive for the F430 with the 19"..so I went with the 20" w/ 458 fitment. I custom made adapters for them in steel with custom titanium bolts. The ones made for the 458s does not have a very aggressive offset so you can fit 12-15mm spacers up front and 25mm in the rear.
    I now have the FI-R's on where the offset is much more aggressive and it's lighter by 3.4 lbs per wheel even with a larger tire & heavier tire with Michelin cup2s.
    Here are pics with the FI's....working on finalizing the FI-R's

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Enzo Sebastian and Performify like this.
  7. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Thanks Flea, that’s very helpful! Do you know the exact sizes you had on the FI’s? I don’t understand though, you removed the FI’s because they didn’t fit? Looking at the photos, they seem to fit correctly? Which tyre sizes did you have on them?

8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    FI = Front - 20 x 8.75 w/44 ET Rear - 20 x 10.75 w/56ET / Pirelli Trofeo R tires (295/30 & 245/30)
    FI-R = Front - 20 x 9 w/35 ET Rear - 20 x 11.5 w/40 ET / Michelin Cup2 K2 tires (305/30 & 245/35)

Laurence,
    The FI were great! You can really tell the lightness of the wheels with the less unsprung weight. My only complaint was I could have made the offset in the rear a little more aggressive. In order to do that I would have to make a thicker adapter and didn't want to add more weight. Using 305 tires on the next change would have satisfied that. I have CCB and there were no fitment issues. Again, I had to a lot of custom work with titanium bolts and steel (not aluminum) adapters. I have pics if you're interested. This set up is close to the factory wheel diameter was well.

I changed them out because I'm planning to add to the F430 a 458 Italia this year and I could use both rims on both cars. There was an opportunity to get the R's for the 458 bolt pattern/set up so I got them.

I'm impress how light the FI-R's are compared to, already light, FIs. With bigger tires at 305 in the rear and 35 ratio in the front, they weight 3.4 lbs. lighter than the FI set up with the smaller but lighter Trofeo Rs. I will switch the FI-Rs to Trofeo Rs when the Cup2s run out.

Good luck in you decision with the BBS FI. If you decide to go my route...I do have the CAD drawings I made for them to work with the F430s.

HersheyE likes this.
  9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    458 bolt pattern looks fab, however it might also kill you one day, as there is so little metal restraining all those forces

10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    It's not for everyone. The bolts are titanium. They have 13mm+ going into the steel adapters. A little more than what stock bolts go into the hub plate. I'm very confident and comfortable with them but I understand your concerns. I will take back me offering my cad drawings due to liability reasons.

11. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    lets wait for a couple of years by then somebody will have crashed an example and we see what happens

12. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #12 Flea7, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    If it happens it would be me because I don't think anyone here has done this. Race teams have ran adapters ...I think Porsche?
    I've ran it hard for a season now...I check all component conditions and check torque values frequently. Solid.

13. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Adapters are perfectly fine to run. Spacers are perfectly fine to run. I wouldn't worry about it Flea, you'r edefinitely safe.

Flea7 likes this.
  14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yes. I wouldn't run them if I was not confident with them. Frequently torque checked and condition. They are solid.

15. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    can you post some more pics with the gold wheels pls ?

16. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Very helpful information, guys! However Flea, it does mean you went the 458-fitment-route due to the aggressive stance on the 19” F430 specific BBS FI. Because it’s just too much of a risk in my opinion, I let the BBS wheels go and just bought an OEM challenge grill, bumper and anthracite Challenge wheels to keep me busy anyways

Flea7 likes this.
  17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    What are you looking for Richard. I can PM you the adapter pic and drawing along with current installment. I won't put them up in this thread.

18. zboost300

zboost300 Karting

Jan 27, 2019
    Awesome wheels flea!

19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Thanks zboost,
    How are you enjoying your transition from S-line to Kline?:)
    FYI, Richard is one of if not the first to install the Kline system in our cars.

20. zboost300

zboost300 Karting

Jan 27, 2019

Best decision I ever made, not sure why I didn't just order the kline from the beginning.

Same high pitch, but no drone and the option to go very quiet when you want to!

Flea7 likes this.
  21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    just a pic of those great gold wheels on the car

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name: