Cam Cover Install Question | FerrariChat

Cam Cover Install Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by fiatbrett, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatbrett

fiatbrett Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brett B
    I'm installing the cam covers on an 1985 308 QV. Quick question; do I only use the spring washers under the acorn nuts to attach the cam covers or should I use a flat washer and a spring/wave washer on top when putting on he acorn nuts?

Thanks in advance!

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW on my 1982 308GTSI 2v I use flat and spring washer. Also only use KlingerSil gasket (green) with no sealant other than next to the cam seals. Torque half way then full torque. Others may chime in......

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why would you?

4. fiatbrett

fiatbrett Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brett B
    I'm unclear if both are needed. I got both a flat washer and wave washer when I ordered by one part number. Just want to make sure both aren't required.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    On the parts catalog it just say washer but it didn’t say what kind.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Car manufacturers do not use unneeded parts. Analyze why the washer(s) are there and install what is needed.

7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Use Ferrari part # 11197771

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The whole purpose of spring washers is to eliminate the need of a flat washer. The purpose of using a flat washer with regular lock washers is to prevent the sharp locking tangs from marring the engine surface.

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Ensure little or no paint below the washer and use only wave spring washer.

Best, Peter

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    All the washers under my acorns are plain flat. I guess someone decided wave washers weren't something they liked, at some point... guess I'll create another shopping list.

11. fiatbrett

fiatbrett Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brett B
    That was my confusion. Only spring washers on my covers when I took them off. The part number shows a flat washer, so wondering what was used originally.

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think using the spring or wavy washer is better than a flat washer because at least there’s no chance for the A corn nut to get loose.

13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    A spring washer will damage the soft cam cover. Use a wave washer or alternatively a conic washer. A flat washer does not make any sense.

Best, Peter

14. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I just installed my covers recently on my 1985 308 GTS QV in which I just used a flat washer with chrome acorn nuts. As far as the valve cover gaskets, I purchased the green gaskets with the red silicon beads with no sealant on the other side except for the cam seals and torque nuts to spec...

ferrariowner likes this.
  15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't think any type of lock/spring washer is required for the valve cover. It came from the factor with a flat washer.

16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #16 pshoejberg, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    I very much doubt that. Most, if not all, nuts on classic Ferrari engines are locked. Either by nylon lock nuts or by using wavy or spring washers (Spring washers often in combination with a flat washer to protect the aluminum). Even my Dino from 1969 have wavy washers on the cam covers. This is a snip from the original Italian parts book item#13.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Note that there is often incorrect text and numbers in Ferrari's parts books caused by sloppy translation or simple negligence.

I guess the cam covers on our old cars have been removed several times over the last many decades and the original hardware might be long gone. We need some of the very experienced Ferrari mechanics to chime in here.

Best, Peter

17. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My manual shows a flat washer and self locking nut.

11 100044 14 Dado autobloccante Selflocking nut
    12 11197771 14 Rondella Washer

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I believe your manual is showing a domed nut and saying something else in the text in a mixture of Italian and English. These manuals are not always to be trusted. That's what makes Ferrari wrenching so interesting.

Best, Peter

ferrariowner likes this.
  19. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  20. fiatbrett

fiatbrett Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brett B
    The 308 QV parts book shows an acorn nut and flat washer for the cam cover. Part # 11197774 superseded #11197771 according to Eurospares vendor.

FWIW-My car which was serviced by Ferrari of Houston, had wave washers but not the flat washers.

pshoejberg likes this.
  21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm happy to install whatever washer should be there, and be informed if what I have isn't right. But I think it's worth noting that between misguided previous owners + dubious factory materials (let's not pretend the factory reference materials are perfect), one shouldn't be dinged for not knowing which particular washer should be installed. If my car has flats, and the illustration shows... blurry something... I'm not exactly clairvoyant.

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For me the term "spring" washer means the wavy or conical spring steel type. The others are internal and external star and split lock washers. At least that's how I've always categorized them. With a spring washer you don't need a flat washer for protection as you do with the regular tabbed lock washers. The wave type spring washer works pretty much just like a flat washer only better since they will act as a lock washer and keep the nut secure.

23. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #23 pshoejberg, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    All the lock washers we are discussing here are made by spring steel, hence they are all generally named as spring washers amongst "ordinary" amateur consumers. But the first one showed on the pictures below is the most common lock washer and is nearly always just named as a "spring" washer (Google is your friend).

Best, Peter

Mostly named "Spring Washer" in my region:

Mostly named Conical / Belleville Washer

Mostly named Wave / Wavy washer

Mostly named "Star" washer (Not used on our engines)

24. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The first one is usually called split washer or lock washer

25. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have often wondered which one will exert the most "spring" or resistance under a nut.

I'm thinking the split ring or Belleville may offer more resistance than the wavy washer. However, the star does offer some resistance as well as having sharp corners to bite into the metal. Just wondering.