Ferrari tires change | FerrariChat

Ferrari tires change

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doc_Dent, Jan 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    #1 Doc_Dent, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Hi guys,
    So I googled how long U can keep using a tire, got 6 years, and 10 years at most for some (depending on condition as max) .....etc as I understood.
    A ferrari, used as a weekend car mostly, with very low milage 3-4K+-, with mid 2015 "production date" tires on (since getting the car (new)), and has been tracked (gently) only for a "single" lap a few years ago, tires look really good.
    U think it is safe to keep em on till -let us say the end of the year-?
    My concern is age (2-3 years Max as I heard from friends "VERY DIFFERENT FROM MY ONLINE SEARCH RESULTS").
    What do U think? and any personal first hand experiences?
    Thank you,,.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Hundreds of previous threads about this and the answer as with cambelts is: it depends

Do you not drive in the wet ? Is your car stored in the dark ?

This sort of thing can help but ultimately its your choice - for maximum performance yes maybe 2-3 years but from your description I'd begin to think about changing as suggested by your Google research

Doc_Dent likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    5 years on from the date code on the side of the tire and the missus starts to nag me! Roughly 16 K miles and 4 years for the F-car. 1 track day in that time.

I give the tires the once over from time to time looking for splits, cracks, tread depth, etc...T

Doc_Dent likes this.
  4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Like greyboxer said, tons of thread just like cam belts, and the answer is the same: why would you take the chance? Even a good inspection can't reveal the compound hardening.

I once waited a couple of weeks too long (I was waiting for the tires to go on sale): there was a sudden traffic back-up, I hit my brakes and slid into the car in front of me. There went any savings

Doc_Dent, tomc and jcurry like this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I haven't run into this since I wear out my tires well before 5 years. I don't know what Ferrari you have, but a new set of tires every 5 years is probably about $1500. Heck, your yearly oil change is almost that much. :)

tomc likes this.
  6. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Well...
    F12, and still under 7 years service contract (so haven't start paying up for service yet;))
    It is not the matter of how much actually.
    My Q is regarding the concept of the necessity to change the tires in certain conditions or not.
    I would love to know if you kept your same tires on for 5 or 6 years on a ferrari specifically, how did that work out?
    THX

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The tires on my 612 were mounted 3/13/2017 at 24,404 (I keep a spreadsheet on all my cars). I now have 44,650. They will be replaced when I put the car back on the road this spring, even though there is still acceptable tread left. (The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are amazing).

As I recall when Paul Walker died in that crash a suspected contributor was tires that were 8 years old. Beyond the possibility of failure is the question of performance, particularly in wet conditions. I realize some people don't take their car out in rain, but I drive mine in rain or shine. I've driven my 612 to Florida twice, Canada 3 times and Arizona once. This September I'll be taking it to Colorado. I can't be worried about tire failure. Forget that if I had a failure it could ruin the wheel and cause damage to the suspension, just the inconvenience of getting a flat bed to take the car to a dealer for repair is deterrent enough. Of course even with a brand new tire I can still get a flat. :(

I bought my FF in November, 2019. The summer tires are dated from 2017. I have new winter tires on it right now. This spring I will have new summer tires mounted. It may be a bit premature, but I don't like the look of them. If it's not a matter of how much, why fool with it?

tomc likes this.
  8. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    #8 Doc_Dent, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Great info.
    THX

However..
    Insufficient time,
    Trying to figure out the truth/reality/ necessity,
    Research purposes,
    Out of curiosity
    ....etc
    Any of the above "or many more", could be a reason other than "the matter of how much" in general:)