F8 or STO? | Page 49 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I believe that it is not required in US until 25. Lamborghini is known to resist and be the last to budge with stuff like that. So maybe... maybe,,, You won't have GPF in 22

2. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Most likely the STO you receive will have GPF. They started shipping the huracans in asia with GPF already. Other geographies will follow.

One more hero fallen.

3. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am really surprised. Lamborghini has historically been the renegade, the last to adopt changes (Hybrid for example, Still with V10 and no V6 turbo toaster yet)

Ash Patel likes this.
  4. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    That means nothing. I have a 2020 Audi R8 V10 performance and does not have gpf.

But, the rest of the world got R8s with GPF except the USA and Canada starting in 2020. Audi even increased the Stated HP by 8HP for the rest of the world stating it was to offset the GPF.

I am pretty sure Lambo will also resist. The other markets do not complain about sound as much as the owners here. Was told this by the previous CEO.

5. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #1205 ScrappyB, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    That makes sense to me. Since they already started diverging across markets in 2020, it stands to reason they would continue to do so until such time they legally can’t. Unlike Ferrari, Audi/Lambo seems to accept producing different V10’s for different markets. They know markets such as the US care a lot about the sound and they’d risk losing STO orders if their hardest core Huracan variant sounded meek next to an Evo.

6. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Akrapovic is coming out with an "official" aftermarket Lambo exhaust for the EVO/Performante, most likely the same exhaust will be available for the STO .

I'm thinking they're preparing an aftermarket OEM exhaust in preparation for GFP on all H models. Basically have dealers push this exhaust as a dealer installed option with full factory warranty.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fastmd, ScrappyB and Shack like this.
  7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Interesting and something I’ve been wondering about since Ducati offers exactly this - an ‘off-road only’ full titanium exhaust system with cat-delete and ECU tune that’s co-developed, produced and branded by Akrapovic but sold through Ducati parts and boxed in Ducati packaging. I ordered one for my new Streetfighter. The workmanship is top notch and the sound is insane.

Audi/Lambo/Ducati are all part of the same family so it stands to reason they’d extend this partnership with Akrapovic to cars as well.

It’s great news.

8. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I have had it confirmed no GPF in 21 or 22.

Would be good if someone else gets the same (or different) info

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    VW Vroup owns Akra so that makes sense. They did the same deal with the Urus.

dustman likes this.
  10. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Thought I read somewhere that since the Lambo v10 is dual fuel injection it doesn’t produce enough particulate matter to require GPF. Same goes for the Mclaren V8, hence why none of the McLarens are fitted with GPF either.

Can someone who knows more about engines confirm?

Shack likes this.
  11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I also wondered about that but apparently new Huracans sold in China have GPF’s, as do R8’s in Europe (not sure about Huracans).

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Did this confirmation come direct from the factory?

Shack likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Anyone know about the Huracan Super Trofeo Evo? Seems to be yet another version.

14. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    So I provided my dealer with the final non-refundable deposit today because he said the order bank is opening and wants to submit my order ASAP. My STO is still on schedule to arrive in July. Very happy it'll be a summer delivery.

And I asked my SA about the GPF and he said there's no indication from the factory that NA STOs will get the GPF. He also said Lamborghini would add GPF for different markets so if China requires GPF it wouldn't necessarily mean they would add the GPF for every market. He's going to ask around and see if he get more information from the factory.

GT2goneF, ferrarifanatic25 and Shack like this.
  15. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Huracan Super Trofeo Evo is the name of the actual race car.

GT2goneF and Gh21631 like this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That just makes sense. I wonder why Ferrari didn't do this.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They look kind of similar in the pic I saw. The wing is much bigger on the Super Trofeo but hard to tell how the rest of the car differs from the angle presented.

GT2goneF likes this.
  18. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Are you referring to this car?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF and Gh21631 like this.
  19. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Excellent question. It seems Lambo, Porsche and McLaren all supply exhaust systems tailored to the requirements of the receiving market.

Ferrari doesn’t appear to have any problems selling out of F8’s and GTS’s so perhaps they made the calculated decision that it won’t cost them sales.

Shack likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Well done, you must be stoked!

SLDriver and Shack like this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That's it but the view I found was from the rear.

22. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    So basically, Ferrari is the only exotic manufacturer lazy enough to force GPF’s on markets that don’t require them. Extremely disappointing. The F8 (and SF90 for that matter) would be so much more desirable if it could just sound as good as a 488 at the very least. Instead, we’re stuck with the muted vacuum cleaner they claim is an exhaust system.

epah, MANDALAY, Ash Patel and 4 others like this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I thought the F8 was supposed to sound the same as the 488?? No way it’s worse. SF90 I can understand.

WM458 likes this.
  24. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Haven’t drove one yet so I can’t speak to sound from inside the cabin, but I’ve probably seen a good 10-15 F8’s in the wild and all but one were entirely inaudible. The one that actually emitted a sound was really getting on it, otherwise, the car is damn near silent. 488 is by no means a great sounding car, but at least it announces its presence. F8 is like a 488 with the volume turned down to 50%. To each their own opinion....

cole328 and Surfah like this.
  25. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My 488 was so much louder than my Pista and any F8 I have driven!

May the Horse be with you